VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a post on here https://forum.videohelp.com/topic334350.html, which led me to thinking of possible replacing my Phillips DVD8801 burner. I re-ordered the the burners listed here by rating and read some of the comments but wondered would another burner produce more uniform DVDs that older players would be able to handle? How close can you get to "professional" burns without paying professional prices? To be honest the DVD8801 has performed well except when the DVDs burned are used in players that may be 4-5 years old. I am now using Verbatim DVD-R exclusively; everything I've read about these DVD has been so positive.

Thanks

J
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem isn't likely to be burner related. Many standalone players, especially older players, are picky about the brands/types of media that they can read. It would be a matter of trial and error to find a brand/type of media the older players can read. You can try looking in the DVD Players section for the players you are using, and what what media others have reported having success using.

Some older players have better luck reading +R media that has been bitset.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an older Toshiba player that would play only -R media until I got a burner that allowed book type to be set to DVD-ROM for single layer +R media which enabled the Toshiba to play DVD-ROM recordings. Additionally the Toshiba player would play no LiteOn LVW-5005 recordings regardless of media used until I recorded +R with book type set to DVD-ROM which does play on the old Toshiba. However, I have a portable player that's less than a year old that plays SonyD21 (16x +R bitset to DVD-ROM) perfectly while refusing to play or plays with skips all other media tried including even Verbatim -R media. Either bitsetting or choosing better quality media will likely improve compatibility more than getting another burner.

I highly recommend Pioneer 112D and cross flash to 112L to gain auto bitsetting if you do need another burner. I got a Pioneer 111D cross flashed to 111L over a year ago which I liked so well I bought a second for backup. BTW when your link is clicked I get error that says "This page you are searching does not exist. Use the menu here to the left to try to find the page. If that doesn't help try using our Search to find it. If you still can't find the page email and ask us and we will help you."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Older writers need firmware updates to recognize new media codes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get the lightscribe dvd burners, LG-H62L or SAMSUNG 183L. Those 2 drives automatically enables bitsetting to dvdrom for DVD+R media by using IMGBURN. I don't use the lightscribe features. I have both of those drives as well as the PIONEER 112. They all burn well but currently some people have had problems with the PIONEER 112 drive with reading/writing cd discs. PIONEER has announced they will replace the defective drives. There's a online form that can be filled out. Here's a link for that online form:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/top/cat/article/0,,2076_310069579_484923529,00.html

If you have a SATA connection on your mobo you could consider the SAMSUNG SATA 20x S203B drive.
    Quote Quote