VideoHelp Forum

Poll: How do you feel about an IRC Channel for VideoHelp?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Though there are other topics on this subject, it has been about two years since any were discussed, and they appear to have no resolution, so I don't think it would be in too poor taste to start another.

I read that VideoHelp once had an IRC channel but decided to get rid of it for lack of interest. While I'm not sure what the interest is now, I think it would be wise to put it to a vote. It wouldn't take many resources--none at all if using another network, and would provide a more instant realm for VideoHelp users. Obviously, I'm in favor of it, but I've made a fairly comprehensive poll to see how people feel.
    Quote Quote  
  2. With the minimal responses, I take it that this hasn't created a videohelp IRC channel. That being said, there are already a number of related IRC channels. The most active ones that I know of are:
    ##video on freenode (geared more towards aiding in production)
    #videography on Undernet (geared more towards production discussion)
    and #dvhelper on EFnet (geared more towards editing)
    While all of these channels have specific areas they are geared towards, the users of all three usually will try to help anyone with any issue that they can (and some users are in more than one of them).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    could go the chat box route instead like cdfreaks.....
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well, if you want a java-based chat interface, rather than an installed IRC client, I offer one that connects to ##video on my website (in my sig).
    Quote Quote  
  5. those channels seem kinda dead, i'd really like a help channel!
    Looking for subtitles of: Höök tt0997023, Lime tt0269480, La clé sur la porte tt0077348. tt=iMDb.com Found Desideria tt0081724 subtitle! :-)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Most of those aren't so much dead as they are small.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    AFAIK, it was dropped due to lack of interest.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What would come of this IRC channel though? I usually know IRC channels mostly for downloading media or such but I can't imagine videohelp offering anything. I think the forums are substantially enough to answer questions to prevent things like spamming and promote users to getting to the point instead of jibber jabber. I understand that there would be easier 1on1 talks but it seems like the cons outweigh the pros.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm urged to do a ~2yr old bump here.
    Found the thread when searching Google for some video IRC channel (to post quickie questions).
    Too bad there's none. I checked the ones listed in this thread.
    ##video@Freenode seems to be the only channel with actual idlers(!) (others were all empty).
    Anything happened for the last two years? Other channels that I don't know about?

I voted the poll, anyways, one can only hope for something good to happen!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Another bump can't hurt—why should anybody regard this as a dead issue? I do a lot of work with computer troubleshooting, and often log into help channels to ask questions and answer those of others while I'm there. What goes around comes around. I suspect a lot of people would appreciate this site in particular hosting an IRC channel—it's one of the best resources there is.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a simple web-based (javascript) IRC server at http://irc2.beyondirc.net that we could possibly use. There is even a wizard to add webchat to a website (this one!).
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Web based ... very similar to that as used by driverguide or as found at net.tutsplus.com tutorial on web based chat application.
    Quote Quote  
  14. A channel on existing network freenode would probably be the most desirable solution.
    Why not shake hands and gather at #videohelp for instance?
    Drop dead gorgeous!
    Quote Quote  
  15. I know this is veeery long overdue, but since I'm regular on IRC and particularly Freenode I decided to take the initiative and do it for everybody in here in 2020 at last (it's really strange no one else has volunteered up till now, though)! The channel has been created on irc.freenode.net as ##videohelp like earlier suggested. Mind you, double hashtag is not a typo, it's a local policy for everything proprietary/non-opensource basically, and for all I know, we are not bound to using opensource tools alone. Make sure you type that out correctly.

Hurry up, the first 5 users can get ops
    Last edited by Damiano; 19th Mar 2020 at 06:48.
    Quote Quote  
  16. The IRC channel moved to Rizon (irc.rizon.net) as #video.
    Quote Quote