VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's what I'm thinking of doing. I found a JVC 32 flat for $480 shipped and it has the new tuner (although it's a SDTV.) HD TV's seem too expensive and not fully perfected right now, and HD programming doesn't seem there in mass yet, and the change over is still a couple of years away. (Not to mention many of my DVD's are SD.) Around 09 HDTV's will be less expensive and more perfected, and I can get one for less then when there is more HD content as well.

Does this make sense? What do you guys think?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LT9000
    That's what I'm thinking of doing. I found a JVC 32 flat for $480 shipped and it has the new tuner (although it's a SDTV.) HD TV's seem too expensive and not fully perfected right now, and HD programming doesn't seem there in mass yet, and the change over is still a couple of years away. (Not to mention many of my DVD's are SD.) Around 09 HDTV's will be less expensive and more perfected, and I can get one for less then when there is more HD content as well.

Does this make sense? What do you guys think?
    Let us know the full model number. At 32" CRT is still viable but the issue will be how it processes ATSC if you will be tuning over the air broadcasts. If you are using cable or sat, the connection needs to be analog component or HDMI.

$480 seems steep for 640x480. You should be getting at least 960x540 at that price.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Since you are asking a opinion, you may get many different answers. I have a perfectly good SD 27" set, but I would not replace it with a SD set.

The new HDTV sets have a lot of other features going for them besides HD. Lots of connections, HDMI direct from your DVD player, component, S-Video and maybe more than one of each type of connection. Being able to view DVD in 16:9 formats without the black bars. Smaller footprints than CRT sets, ability to receive OTA high def from local stations, and maybe cable and satellite.

Just my opinion, but I would try to find a HDTV that suits your needs and still has a decent picture from SD sources.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also plan on getting Dish or Direct TV soon.
    Quote Quote  
  6. My brother bought a JVC i-Art 32" 4x3 HDTV (CRT) for $500 bucks new. Personally, for $500, I'd buy a 30" 16x9 HDTV CRT (Wally world has them all day @ that price).
    If God had intended us not to masturbate he would've made our arms shorter.
    George Carlin
    Quote Quote  
  7. Throw in some more money and you have a flat panel HD that you can watch Tv on as well as DVDs where they will look better than on a SD set, and if you get one with a VGA connector let you use it with a computer too.

As for HD not being perfected...... Hard to say. I switched a year ago. Add in the HD DVR now with external storage so it will never fill up and I'm glad I went HD.

If you said what you are saying a couple of years ago, then you could easily be right. However Now there is a choice of HD Players, Not that I would buy one As I Have more than I can watch as is and the new Fall network season hasn't started. Once that starts I'll be sampling the new shows to see if anything is worth watching. The standards for HD sets have matured to a decent level.

OTOH My brother is happy watching on a 19" really old Tv so erverybody is diffrent.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I see you mentioned Satellite TV too. In that case I'd get a HDTV and a HD DVR.

I've been watching mythbusters in HD since it was turned on in HD recently along with Discovery and so on.

I believe Dishnetwork is cheaper up front and per month depending on the package....

They have DVR or non DVRs that can feed two TV with different channles sets from one box.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I also plan on getting Dish or Direct TV soon.
    OK I checked the review and the JVC site.

This is an unusual hybrid beast (140 pounds). It is a solid standard analog TV with

- Flat INVAR Shadow Mask CRT (probably good for full 704x480 SD) + Velocity Scan

- A vertical compressed 16:9 mode for DVD and movies

- 480i component input (for your Dish/DirectTV box)

- ATSC/QAM tuner

The ATSC tuner downscales terestrial HD/SD to 704x480. The QAM capability is good for nonencrypted digital cable reception. The ATSC tuner is good for tuning the locals with an antenna.

Weak points: 5W audio, lacks second component input for DVD. You could add an upstream component switcher. The designers assumed you were getting TV over the air and the component input would be for the DVD player. A Satellite tuner leaves you one input short.

This is a good basic TV. The ATSC tuner adds value if you will get your locals with an antenna. QAM is useless unless you have cable. $480 seems reasonable.

This is good if you only want SD from satellite.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info.

"A Satellite tuner leaves you one input short."

Couldn't I just use the component for SD satellite, and use S-video for the DVD player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info.

"A Satellite tuner leaves you one input short."

Couldn't I just use the component for SD satellite, and use S-video for the DVD player?
    Yes you could but the DVD would look a bit better over component.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I wouldn't mess with an SD tv. You can get a 37" Vizio which has a philip LCD for 799 at costco. I have seen the 32" down to $599. I have a Viewsonic 32" on my computer and a 47" Vizio in the family room.

Plus, they are light and easy to move around. I was dreading having to get rid of my heavy 36" panasonic CRT. Was it heavy.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11190355&search=vizio&Mo=5&cm_re=1_en...=1&topnav=&s=1

Costco also has the 52" Vizio LCD on sale for 1999
    Quote Quote  
  13. I have a TAU crt tv. It does 480i. But you still must deal with lines. I Really do like the picture quality of SD on it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need to view the sets with 480i input and make the choice.

I still prefer the CRT for 480i at the screen sizes being discussed. Small cheap LCD sets usually have the cheapest deinterlacers, blurry refresh and poor black levels. The highest end LCD-TV sets like the Samsung 4665's are looking good but the entry models are still fairly awful with 480i IMO.

The downside of CRT is physical depth and weight. Personally I prefer a CRT that also supports progressive DVD but that is a nit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A heavy, bulky CRT dinosaur? You couldn't give me a TV like that, much less get me to pay money for it. And if you're thinking of getting an HDTV in a few years when they're "perfected" (they're fine right now) then you'd just be throwing money down the toilet to get this JVC now.
    Quote Quote  
  16. You can buy a SLIM CRT hdtv. Not as deep.
    Quote Quote  
  17. There are alot of good 32"/37" LCD HDTV's out there now in $800US range.True they don't look as good as a CRT for SD sources but the pros outweigh the cons:
    60lbs as opposed to 150lbs
    Thinner and wall mountable
    480p looks much better over HDMI or component.
    Variable zoom
    Multiple inputs
    Quote Quote  
  18. I will never go back to CRT . happay LCD user
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To me a TV is a TV. Unless you pay for HD programming or HDDVDs then what difference does it make?

I have been using the same 19" CRT as our main TV since '95. I have no reason to upgrade. Its would just be a waste of money. What we have is perfectly fine.

I have a friend who has a really big, nice HDTV. I think it is 60". The picture is all blurry unless you watch certain HDTV channels. And although he has tons of cable channels few are HD channels.

Wait till they become the norm, then think about an HDTV.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by TJK1911
    A heavy, bulky CRT dinosaur? You couldn't give me a TV like that, much less get me to pay money for it. And if you're thinking of getting an HDTV in a few years when they're "perfected" (they're fine right now) ...
    Matter of opinion.
    IMHO, they have a ways to go yet (and so does quantity of content).
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 4194
    To me a TV is a TV. Unless you pay for HD programming or HDDVDs then what difference does it make?

I have been using the same 19" CRT as our main TV since '95. I have no reason to upgrade. Its would just be a waste of money. What we have is perfectly fine.

I have a friend who has a really big, nice HDTV. I think it is 60". The picture is all blurry unless you watch certain HDTV channels. And although he has tons of cable channels few are HD channels.

Wait till they become the norm, then think about an HDTV.
    That describes my line of thinking right now, except I want to put my 19' in the bedroom and get a bigger one for the den.

Also, I wonder what the chances are they might push the HD broadcast change-over date back yet again.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by somebodeez
    Originally Posted by TJK1911
    A heavy, bulky CRT dinosaur? You couldn't give me a TV like that, much less get me to pay money for it. And if you're thinking of getting an HDTV in a few years when they're "perfected" (they're fine right now) ...
    Matter of opinion.
    This is what I've been hearing also.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by LT9000

Also, I wonder what the chances are they might push the HD broadcast change-over date back yet again.
    The change over is about going from analog to all digital and them using the analog for something else.
    This doesn't mean going to all HD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

The change over is about going from analog to all digital and them using the analog for something else.
    I don't think it will change again. One service that wants the frequencies is Homeland Security for a new unified police-fire communications system. They want the date moved up closer. Congress wants to lease the new freed up frequencies for billions. Telco and wireless services are ready to bid for the frequencies.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV

I don't think it will change again. One service that wants the frequencies is Homeland Security for a new unified police-fire communications system. They want the date moved up closer. Congress wants to lease the new freed up frequencies for billions. Telco and wireless services are ready to bid for the frequencies.
    Can you elaborate on what he said re: going all digital vs going all HD. I don't quite get all that.
    Quote Quote  
  26. LT9000,
    All analog OTA transmissions will stop on 2/17/09 in the US,TV stations will be required by the FCC to transmit digital signals.
    Digital does not necessarily mean HD,it just means you need an ATSC tuner.If you are on cable or satellite then you will not need a converter box.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television_in_the_United_States
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LT9000 wrote
    Can you elaborate on what he said re: going all digital vs going all HD. I don't quite get all that.
    The switchover is from analogue to digital not to hd. I think people everywhere (not just the one or two here) are confusing the two. All older 4:3 / 5:4 format 480i and 480p analogue tv's will still work with a standard format digital converter after the switch.

I'm on cable in Canada and even if the switch happened today it would have no effect on me with my old sets because I receive 100's of stations via digital cable but do not subscribe to hd since I don't own an hd tv. Should I decide to buy an HD tv and subscribe to hd programming then I need only acquire one hd cable box for that tv but will continue to receive the non hd digital channels on my other boxes and tv's.

There is no rush to switch over. This only affects those who receive their tv channels off air (and perhaps a few diehard older grandfathered customers still on analogue cable). The analogue sets do not have the tuner to receive digital transmissions so they will need a digital tuner box. If HD programming is available off air then of course a HD digital tuner box (or hd tuner model tv) and an hd tv (1080p, 1080i / 720p) would be needed to receive and view those stations.

Are the broadcasters likely to go all hd soon? Not likely but they will probably offer more and more hd only channels to entice viewers to make the switch.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV

Over the air broadcasting in the USA is currently using the old NTSC system and the new ATSC (digital) system in parallel. Every TV station now has two transmitters and two channels. The ATSC transmitter is allowed to transmit in any of 18 format variations: 12 are SD and 6 are HD. ASTC tuners are required to receive all 18 formats and display at least in SD. TV sets will vary as to whether they display in SD or HD, interlace or progressive. SD tuners will downscale HD to SD, HDTV sets will also display SD.

On February 17, 2009 two things will happen:

1. Analog transmitters will be turned off.

2. Most digital ATSC channels will change frequencies to a narrower band on UHF, some will stay on or move to upper VHF channels 7-13 (mostly in the rural west).

From an over the air viewer perspective you will just get snow or garbage on your analog Ch2-13 and UHF tuners unless you are on cable. Your new digital tuner will need to be rescanned or manually set to the new channel numbers. Many digital transmitters will increase in power on that day so you might pick up more stations than you did on February 16.

Then, many new telco and wireless services will claim the abandoned frequencies.

When the dust settles, life will go on.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by somebodeez
    Originally Posted by TJK1911
    Matter of opinion.
    Quality of content, hmmm, a subjective thing. I have Dishnetwork and the more popular channels are available in HD.

A&E HD
    Animal Planet
    Animania HD
    Discovery HD
    Discovery HD Theater
    DISH Network PPV in HD
    Equator HD
    ESPN HD
    ESPN2 HD
    Family Room HD
    Film Fest HD
    Food Network HD
    GamePlay HD
    Gallery HD
    HBO HD*
    Cinemax HD*
    HDNet
    HDNet Movies
    HDNews
    HGTV HD
    Kung Fu HD
    MHD
    Monsters HD
    National Geographic Channel HD*
    NFL Network HD
    Rave HD
    Rush HD
    Showtime HD*
    Starz HDTV*
    The Science Channel
    TLC
    TNT HD
    Treasure HD
    Ultra HD
    Universal HD
    World Cinema HD
    WorldSport HD

Between these channels I have no problem finding HD to watch. Plus ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox locals and more HD coming in Sept. And of course I find no problems with SD channels on my HDTV. Ever sort of hated a letterboxed movie or show because it has teh black bars? I just hit full zoom on my VIP622 and the LB video is now full screen in the proper AR with nothing cut off or distorted. Not as sharp looking as it looked when it was smaller but still watchable.

Then if I play a LB DVD on the computer through the TV's VGA input I make it full screen and it looks real good.

Not enough to watch? Heh. Netflix or Blockbuster or the local Video store is your friend. I find that DVDs played with the DVD player set to progressive via component look much better then they ever did on the old SD set I replaced. And no Scan lines either.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Out of that list of channels, there are 2 that I would probably watch every now and then.
    Unfortunately, Fios doesn't have those and I don't want to go with a dish.

Black bars at the top and bottom doesn't bother me - I'm use to it.
    As for watching classic 4:3 movies and shows (mostly what I like) stretched out to avoid black bars at the sides not to mention avoiding burn in (a problem I never have with my CRTs) I wouldn't enjoy seeing them distorted. If you have an HD that can play 4:3 stretched out to fill your screen without distortion, it must've cost you quite a pretty penny. I've personally never seen one that could do it properly yet. And I for one certainly can't afford 1000's of dollars for a TV, HD player of some sort (even if there wasn't an HD/BluRay war) Classic HD content to become available (there are soooo many great ones that haven't even made it to DVD yet ) , extra $ each month for an HD cable box ect...
    I've also never seen one that could display SD channels properly either (motion artifacts ect)

I do currently enjoy my online DVD rental services very much on my CRT TVs none of which have issues displaying them properly and none of which even after 20 years suffer from burn in, motion artifacts, doesn't matter if the room is light or dark, doesn't matter what angle I'm at, no sun spots, no rainbow effects, no screen door effect, no ghosting, never had to have it calibrated and never had to replace a $400 light bulb, none ever costed $1000's, and none will ever "downgrade" the quality just because I don't have a "secure" connection ect.
    (However, I could never hang my 32 inch CRT on a wall and it could probably kill you if it fell on you )

At this time, I still stand by my opinion - HD TVs have a ways to go yet (and so does quantity of content - I should add content that I am interested in personally most of which was probably never shot without any regard to HD at all).

Now having said all of that, I need to also say again that this is my personal opinion. Just because the time for going to HD is not right for me at the moment certainly doesn't mean that it's not the time for someone else to switch over. Each person has to weigh the pros and cons and make his/her decision based on their personal situation, opinion and budget.

As long as my current TVs continue to display what I like to watch properly, I am content to wait for this HD stuff to get it's act together.
    Quote Quote