VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to install this language program called Rosette Stone on my laptop, but when I hit the run installation button, it's giving me this:

Error executing file.
    E:\setup.exe
    The requested operation requires elevation.

@_@ I have no idea what to do. Please help. I have windows vista. So, I have tried to go to command prompt, righ-clicked it, and chose "run as admin". And a black screen popped up. What I am supposed to do next?

Please help me. I have been trying to install this program for like 10 hours now.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/0d75f774-8514-4c9e-ac08-4c21f5c6....mspx?mfr=true

Come down to : Scenario 3: Configure User Account Control

You may be out of luck with that program , not fully compatable with vista .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hikari112
    I am trying to install this language program called Rosette Stone on my laptop, but when I hit the run installation button, it's giving me this:

Error executing file.
    E:\setup.exe
    The requested operation requires elevation.

@_@ I have no idea what to do. Please help. I have windows vista. So, I have tried to go to command prompt, righ-clicked it, and chose "run as admin". And a black screen popped up. What I am supposed to do next?

Please help me. I have been trying to install this program for like 10 hours now.

You should log in as Admin and install it from there
    When you run setup.exe s admin, you do exactly just this: the setup.exe is executed with elevated priviledges. Just this file. Im not sure about Vista as I dont use it, but normally the elevation is not inherited, so if there are other files that the setup.exe need to copy/install/dowhatever (if it is not just single executable) then thats exactly what should happen, since the other files are still run from your account (not as admin), capiche? Vista ain't linux, fake sudo (aka "run as admin") won't work the same way
    Apologies if I cant explain better hehe :P

But thats just "elevation" problem.
    Installer may still crap out if the program itself wasnt written for NT6 (ie simply different variable in Vista can already crap it).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In Vista, turn off User Accounts Control.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't turn off UAC - many things will not install correctly with UAC turned off.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try right clicking on the setup.exe file and run as admin.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had this problem installing Office 2003 in Vista. I turned off UAC and it installed correctly. I should have said that you need to turn it on again.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Hikari,

It's been a couple of months since your initial post, but if you're still having problems with this: I just installed the old 2.0.8.1a version of Rosetta Stone on my Vista HP machine with no problems. I had been running it on my old XP box for a couple of years but hadn't gotten around to loading it onto the new computer yet.

It installed with no problems. To install, I right-clicked on the setup.exe and ran it as Administrator (don't know if this was necessary or not). After installing, I loaded up the SpanishI disc and the lessons ran just as they had on XP. No problems yet, knock on wood.

I have UAC set to "quiet mode" via TweakUAC http://www.tweak-uac.com/ (sort of a short-cut to what Bjs suggested above). This mode doesn't turn off UAC but it does suppress elevation prompts. Again, I don't know if this was necessary for the install or not (I doubt it). If you've got a newer version of the program it may have problems with Vista that the older one doesn't.

Thought I'd let you know in case you have a copy of the old version laying around somewhere. I've read that it's compatible with all but a few of the language packs (the newest ones).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I'm not a computer expert but I was able to install Rosetta Stone V2 with a little on-line help (here and elsewhere) and patience.

First problem, the set-up disc would not self-launch on my daughter's laptop (Vista Home Premium), but it would launch on our home desktop (Vista Home Basic) and my laptop (XP). I closed all the anti-virus and mal-ware programs on her computer and it self launched.

Next problem was the "requires elevation" error message when trying to download. I solved that by turning off UAC. I suppose I could (should?) now go back in an turn UAC back on (the anti virus/malware programs will restart on their own).

Its up and running and she is enjoying learning Japanese.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Here is how i did it, i am running win7 home 64 bitI opened my computer, right clicked on the dvd rom drive selected open, then right clicked on setup then run as admin this solved my problem maybe it will help you as well.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Draminicus View Post
    Here is how i did it, i am running win7 home 64 bitI opened my computer, right clicked on the dvd rom drive selected open, then right clicked on setup then run as admin this solved my problem maybe it will help you as well.
    i hate to be another douche that response to an old thread, but you do realize that OP posted his question august 24 2007? i'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that in the 3 and half years since he asked, he probably was not only able to install the software, not only learn the language he wanted to learn pretty well but also got laid once or twice in that time frame by being able to impress the girl (guy?) of his dreams with his ability to speak another language.
    Quote Quote  
  12. i hate to be another douche that response to an old thread, but you do realize that OP posted his question august 24 2007? i'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that in the 3 and half years since he asked, he probably was not only able to install the software, not only learn the language he wanted to learn pretty well but also got laid once or twice in that time frame by being able to impress the girl (guy?) of his dreams with his ability to speak another language.
    Yeah there is that but if I remember correctly, people often search old forums like this if they happen to have an issue, now I know people never have the same issue with the same solution here on the interwebs, but just in case they do I added my post to let people know that this method did in fact work on Win7, so if someone comes looking for an answer #1 there will be step by step instructions #2 there is conformation that this process will work on their OS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Grave Digging? No doubt the help is appreciated, but the thread is old.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  14. dunno if related to this thread.... I cannot find the help anywhere.
    I do have a HP loaded with Vista. I own Rosetta Stone original v2.1 has 3 CDs (application v2.1A, Student Management System V2.1.1HS, Spanish Level 1)
    here is the guide I used: https://secure.rosettastone.com/us_assets/documentation/HS_SMS_QS.pdf

I encounter an error on the "Enrolling Students" part of the Set Up. I see the "server" running, but immidiatly I get the following error (I have updated my jave, I have the latest)

Also only ONE time the error said that

Port 8080 is already in use.... I went to my task manager (dunno where else to look) and I didn't find any PID with 80 anything.
    Thank you!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	java error.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	38011  

Last edited by kflowerfly; 2nd Aug 2016 at 06:57. Reason: add info
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why do so many newbies dig up old threads ???
    Quote Quote  
  16. A huge number of people like to use Windows 10 and at the same time people report different kinds of errors and The Requested Operation requires Elevation is one of these errors which pop up. It may when accessing their external hard drive or running some utility or program which required administrative access and troubleshoot help to tell the exact reason of this error and suggest solution to fix it.
    Quote Quote