VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. how would I integrate an mp3 song to an mpg file of the same song so it can sound good?
    Im finding some mpg music videos with crappy sound and I was wondering if that can be improved by joining or integrating the mp3 song of the video file to the mpg file.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't believe you can put MP3 audio into the mpeg-2 container. You would have to convert the audio to PCM or AC3 first, then mux them together.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't think MP3 and MPEG would go together either, but SUPER can encode it.

I didn't try muxing MP3 with a MPEG, though. And it does play back on a software player.
    I'm not sure what good it is, and I wouldn't use it for anything myself.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't think MP3 and MPEG would go together either, but SUPER can encode it.
    TMPGEnc too!

P.S.: what about the old and good .MP2?

===

Quote Quote  
  5. Well it doesnt have to be an MP3 file only. I wouldnt mind converting it to a format that will make the music video have much better sound which is the only goal that I have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What is the highest quality source audio file that can get a hold of?

and

How are you planning to play the final file--hardware?, software?

Let's say you have a PCM master audio track, and you expect to merge with an existing MPEG2 video file and play on a settop player.

Well, excepting the OBVIOUS possibility of going to standard, compliant authored DVD, you could convert the PCM (and BTW, you must use something else as PCM won't mux into MPEG except in the special case of authored DVD-Video) into MP2, MP3, AC3, DTS, AAC. These should all be muxable into MPEG2 (I have succeeded before), so it's just a matter of choice of which encode and decode software you've got and the relative bit-efficiency of those codecs.
    IMHO, they would go in the order I just mentioned (with the least "efficient" quality on the leftmost and the most "efficient" quality on the rightmost)

My guess is that you don't have an original PCM, so you want to go with something commonly available as a replacement. MP3 could do that (as long as you understand that it isn't compliant with DVD or VCD standards--though it is with DivX).

***BIG POINT HERE***

If you've got an MP2, converting it to MP3 or AC3 or whatever will probably do more damage to the quality of the signal than any improvement in the bitrate-efficiency. If that is the case, it's best to leave well enough alone...

AFA muxing, TMPGEnc will work fine with muxing those codecs mentioned above into MPEG2 (so will Imago, BBMPEG and a few others).

Scott

edit: you also want to make sure you use something that will be playable on the target devices (should be obvious, but you may need to do some testing first to know for sure).
    Quote Quote