VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I need a new alternative to my current two x264 GUIs, Staxrip and meGUI. Staxrip has a bug where, if the bitrate you have specified will yield a compression deemed by Staxrip to be too low (like, say, 89% of the original quality), it'll forcefully decrease the bitrate against my wishes.

meGUI has been given me a major headache these past two weeks (problems documented here).

So I need an alternative to them.

Requirements:
    * Has to be an x264 GUI
    * Has to be able to produce iPod-compatible MP4/x264/2-pass files (so SUPER's out of the question)
    * Preferably allows me to set the resolution myself
    * Has to have manual cropping abilities
    * Must produce files that don't intertwine (or whatever it's called) the audio and the video, allow me to mux and demux to my heart's content (as I use BeLight to encode the audio)

Suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like Staxrip is opensource. If that is the only problem you have with it, you could always change it. Is the quality after it reduces the bitrate unacceptable?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by celtic_druid
    Looks like Staxrip is opensource. If that is the only problem you have with it, you could always change it. Is the quality after it reduces the bitrate unacceptable?
    Sometimes it's not, sometimes it is. Is there any way to force Staxrip to use a certain bitrate (or at least one very close to it) instead of quasi-randomizing one if it finds the compression unacceptable (which I find ludicrous... it's my choice, not the client's)?

Or could you maybe just solve my weird meGUI problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    You could try this: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic331773.html

Or alternatively WinFF, there are iPod presets at the forum there for restoration so you can handle the Audio and video separately and mux them with NicMp4Box or YAMB with NicMp4Box substituted for MP4Box. I use this method for restoring video to H.264 all the time. If you want 2-pass with WinFF just enter "-pass 1" in the additional options field and then "-pass 2" and overwrite your first pass.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Are those GUIs? Will files encoded with them yield the exact same quality as files encoded in, say, meGUI?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK,
    Yes they are both GUIs and YAMB is a GUI for Mp4Box, they are all using the same x264 encoder, The encoder is only as good as the settings you feed it. I used to use MeGUI all the time, great little prog! I had a bit of fun improving the 3GP converter and WinFF will pretty much convert anything to anything. You know you could have at least checked out the links before posting back and asking if they were GUI's or not!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I did. The description of neither mentioned that they were GUIs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK,
    This will do what you want:
    Download WinFF 0.291 :http://biggmatt.com/winff/downloads/winff-version-0.291.html

Download these presets:http://biggmatt.com/winff-forums/index.php?topic=29.0

Download PreMade YAMB with NicMp4Box:
    http://www.bestsharing.com/files/kt74tJ325564/Yamb-1.zip.html

1. Demux (separate Audio and Video) your source file
    2. Encode Video to H.264 with above preset in WinFF
    3. Encode Audio with your choice to .m4a
    4. Open YAMB to "mux" tab
    5. Add your individual converted Video and Audio files
    6. Mux and sync to iPod
    Quote Quote  
  9. How do I make WinFF encode in two passes instead of one?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    Well it just so happens that version 0.3 has just been released and
    it has an option for 2-Pass, I would have linked you to it before but it was just posted on the WinFF web site about an hour ago. You are probably sick of downloads but the latest version is greatly improved. the 2-pass is in the "options" button. the quality is pretty good with 1-pass though but suit yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm gonna try it out. Are the files WinFF dish out exactly like those of meGUI?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's something real sweet, and FREE: HandBrake.

Limited input though - only DvD source, MPEG-2, and TS, but still fabulous and almost everything you asked for in your first post (except uses FAAC for audio).

Although the defaults are for QuickTime compatibility, you can still configure any x264 settings you wish.

Oh, yeah - does iPod too.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FallenAngelII
    I'm gonna try it out. Are the files WinFF dish out exactly like those of meGUI?
    Hi,
    It is the same x264 Encoder (maybe not the exact version number) it is just incorporated into ffmpeg. How good or poor the results are depends on the settings used, I don't know what you were using for settings in MeGUI, I have written the presets with as many quality tweaks as I can get away with and be iPod compliant. You will have to try an encode and let your eyes be the judge.
    Quote Quote