VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. BACKGROUND:
    I have a DVD, regular commercial type DVD, for example let’s say “Walk The Line” (Johnny Cash biography with Reese Witherspoon and that Joaquin dude). It has an “f” word in it which I would like to remove.

WHAT I WANT TO DO:
    I want to copy the DVD onto my computer and be able to manipulate it to ‘cut out’ the scene with the “f” word.

WHAT I THINK WOULD DO IT:
    If I could somehow copy the entire DVD as a “.avi” (or .mpeg or some other type of ‘edit-able’ file).

I don't think there is a way to do this by only 'partially copying' the DVD...so I'm assuming I need to capture the entire DVD.

I then could use DVD authoring software and ‘cut out’ that 2 second segment.

I then could save the edited file back to proper DVD format and put it back onto a DVD (like you would do with any authored DVD…)

DVD AUTHORING & COPYING SOFTWARE I CURRENTLY HAVE:
    - Pinnacle Studio 11 (just got it, and I’ve not used it yet so I have no clue if it does this or not)
    - Windows Movie Maker
    - DVD shrink 3.2
    - Clone DVD 1.3.10.1

QUESTION:
    What software exists to let me take a regular commercial DVD and save it as a “.avi” or other ‘edit-able’ file?

Help, advice and or general positive vibes most appreciated.

Take care and thanks.
    Matthew Miller
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Shrink in Re-author mode,or use VobBlanker....
    No need to convert to avi to be editable...
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah, no need to wreck it with a conversion to AVI. Demux the movie with PGCDemux. Take the audio and convert it to PCM WAV audio. Do whatever you want in a Wave Editor (probably silence that part, rather than cut it out, which will shorten the audio and cause synch problems). Reencode the audio to AC3 using Aften and one of the GUIs. Remux the movie using Muxman. Stick the movie back into the DVD using VobBlanker.

Or, as t0nee1 suggests, use VobBlanker to cut out both the audio and video for that short section, using its Prev/Cut feature.

Complete waste of time, if you ask me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It has been suggested that I use DVD Shrink, however DVD Shrink it only seems to let me do ONE edit...if I could do TWO or more edits, THEN I can see it working, but I can't see how it can work with just one 'cut' (edit)...will DVD shrink let me do more than one edit? I've never tried that before...

Situation: the 'f' word is in the very middle of the DVD (say at 61 minutes in).

DVD Shrink will let me select the START frame, let's say 1 second before the 'f' word', at 60:59

DVD Shrink then 'cuts out' the first 60:59 of the movie and 'starts' at 61:02 (3 seconds edited out).

So, in effect, the edited movie would then start at 61:02 (cutting out the first 1 hour, 1 min and 2 seconds of the movie).
    Am I off base here?

Will DVD shrink let me do 2 edits...???

PERFECT EDIT SOLUTION (to my newbie mind):
    Keep the first 60:59 and 'cut out' 3 seconds at 60:59 to 61:02...but that would require TWO (2) Edits...

The two edits:
    start frame: 0:00, end frame: 60:59.
    start frame: 61:02 (having removed the offensive 3 seconds of 'swear'), end frame: 120:00 (end of movie)

This would cut out the objectionable 3 seconds of 'swear'...

Maybe I just need to fiddle with DVD Shrink a bit more and it will indeed let me do two cuts (edits)???

Thanks!
    Mattman
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink is NOT an editor. Consider using either VideoReDo or MPEGVCR, both of which are "try before you buy". There's a free editor or two out there for MPEG video, but my feeling is that they are pretty much worth what they cost - nothing. It is not a requirement at all that you have AVI video to edit it. That hasn't been true for many years now.

What you want to do is fairly complex for a newbie and there's a lot of potential to botch things. I'm not trying to be critical, but if you're one of those people who aren't really interested too much in honestly learning the ins and outs of how to do this, you're not going to find an easy way to do it that won't involve a lot more reading and trial and error than you'll probably feel comfortable with. It will probably take you hours and some trial and error to get it done. I'm not sure it's worth it, but it's your time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dvdshrink will do multi edits , do first edit , remember last time code , click ok .
    Drag the movie back to the left AGAIN , come back to that time code point , go past F , click ok .

Fast , but not a good method considering putting breaking in scene .

Problem may come from audio type used .

Use pgcdemux to demux the whole title to folder
    Convert audio if need be to wav 48khz , use besweet
    Edit problem with audacity
    Convert audio to ac3 (do not convert using bitrate of 64kbps or lower)
    Use rejig or muxman to remux back to dvd required file types
    Burn to disk
    Enjoy
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have to agree, complete waste of time for 2 sec. clip...how about using remote to skip the f word part,or have kids cover ears for 2-sec..... just a thought!.....easist way AFAIK, shrink in Re-author mode..for noobies, no offense!...
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mattman974
    It has been suggested that I use DVD Shrink, however DVD Shrink it only seems to let me do ONE edit...if I could do TWO or more edits, THEN I can see it working, but I can't see how it can work with just one 'cut' (edit)...will DVD shrink let me do more than one edit? I've never tried that before...

Situation: the 'f' word is in the very middle of the DVD (say at 61 minutes in).

DVD Shrink will let me select the START frame, let's say 1 second before the 'f' word', at 60:59

DVD Shrink then 'cuts out' the first 60:59 of the movie and 'starts' at 61:02 (3 seconds edited out).

So, in effect, the edited movie would then start at 61:02 (cutting out the first 1 hour, 1 min and 2 seconds of the movie).
    Am I off base here?

Will DVD shrink let me do 2 edits...???
    Insert the movie and set the begining as the start point and 60.59 as the stop point.

Insert the movie again and set 61.02 as the start point and the end as the stop point.

Hit Backup

You can do this as many times as you like and chop the movie up into lots of pieces if you really must.

Quite why you would want to go to all this trouble to remove one word that is in common usage though is beyond me. However, I have noticed other posts of a similar nature from people on the other side of the Atlantic to me. It seems that violence is perfectly acceptable but sex and the odd swear word isn't. The view over here is the other way round, sex is perfectly natural, swear words are in everyday use, but violence is something you try and protect your children from.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Richard_G Wrote:

Quite why you would want to go to all this trouble to remove one word that is in common usage though is beyond me. However, I have noticed other posts of a similar nature from people on the other side of the Atlantic to me. It seems that violence is perfectly acceptable but sex and the odd swear word isn't. The view over here is the other way round, sex is perfectly natural, swear words are in everyday use, but violence is something you try and protect your children from.
    Interesting point of view.
    Our country still has a lot of growing up to do.

I can see the original posters point of view in that he finds the f-word objectional whether for personal reasons or family sharing reasons or whatever. At the same time though I find it's good to live life on life's terms.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote