VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can somebody please help me on what DVD discs inc X speed I can use on a Pioneer 510H-S DVR. I have tried all sorts of DVD media but it just keeps spiting it out..the manual says
    DVD-RW version 1.1 /2x and DVD-R version 2.0 x 4 but these are hard to find now that the machine is getting outdated. I would like somebody to tell me what discs and x speed work in this machine please.I have tried Intialising but it says this fuction is unavailable!
    I am trying to use DVD_RW Verbatim 4x version 1.2 datalife.
    I am using also DVD-R 8x version 2. Or has the burner gone belly up..if so is it worth getting it replaced or buy a replacement? any advice on a replacement would be appreciated but if I can repair great!
    I also heard that putting in differing x speed dics can damage your burner? anyway I can test to see if damaged?

The HD is perfect

Thanks to anybody that replies.
    FM
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cistec
    Can somebody please help me on what DVD discs inc X speed I can use on a Pioneer 510H-S DVR. I have tried all sorts of DVD media but it just keeps spiting it out..the manual says
    DVD-RW version 1.1 /2x and DVD-R version 2.0 x 4 but these are hard to find now that the machine is getting outdated. I would like somebody to tell me what discs and x speed work in this machine please.I have tried Intialising but it says this fuction is unavailable!
    I am trying to use DVD_RW Verbatim 4x version 1.2 datalife.
    I am using also DVD-R 8x version 2. Or has the burner gone belly up..if so is it worth getting it replaced or buy a replacement? any advice on a replacement would be appreciated but if I can repair great!
    I also heard that putting in differing x speed dics can damage your burner? anyway I can test to see if damaged?

The HD is perfect

Thanks to anybody that replies.
    I have the model 520, but don't have a good idea of how much older the 510 model is. There are extensive threads in the Forums here on replacing the HDD in the 520 (also mentions replacing the burner, somewhere). Try keyword searches for "Pioneer" + "replace" + "hard drive." If you can't find them, I can look through my half-meg-each bookmark files for them. I'm not sure if this applies equally well to your 510, or if it is easier to replace the burner (if necessary) than it is the HDD, but in either case this is not a trivial Do It Yourself project ! Whether you find it worth doing or not is something only you can determine. (I like my 520 enough that I would not hesitate to do it.) The Pioneer recorders have been among the best, but the only current models still being sold in the U.S. are hacked int'l. models with very limited non-Pioneer warranties, or up in Canada.

One thing you should try first is to rule out some failure of the burner. My 520 is old enough that its burner has no write strategy for 16x media, so it is picky about such media (not liking some at all) and drops down to what is apparently a 4x speed for its "high-speed" burns with any of them. But I've been using 8x TYGO2s in it for awhile, and they just work great. They load very quickly, with no "lag" to speak of, which I would normally get while the firmware tries to figure out what sort of blank it is. You would need to order TYs from a place like Rima or Supermediastore, as you won't find them on store shelves. It wouldn't be a wasted purchase no matter what, because if the burner really is going South on you, these discs are still the best and can be used in your computer.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi seeker47

Thanks for that it helps...I think I can have a go at changing it ,,,that file would be nice mate.
    any more links you got on step by step would help.

Thanks

Cistec
    FM
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My son had problems with his Pioneer DVR-510H accepting discs. He used a laser-cleaning DVD and it works fine now. I also have a 510H and everything I need to upgrade the drive but haven't bothered to do so as yet.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cistec
    Hi seeker47

Thanks for that it helps...I think I can have a go at changing it ,,,that file would be nice mate.
    any more links you got on step by step would help.
    Cistec
    O.K., the main thread (22 pages worth and counting !) is
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic253998.html

There is also, this one, which deals with your model specifically
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic192334-90.html

And also
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic304500.html

I'm sure there are more . . . possibly referenced within the above threads. I seem to recall one that focused on changing just the burner itself, but didn't find it just now. You will also want to check out HKAN's site, although I don't know if he goes back as far as the model 510. Lots of reading, I know, but these things are very rarely a stroll in the park.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Frobozz
    My son had problems with his Pioneer DVR-510H accepting discs. He used a laser-cleaning DVD and it works fine now. I also have a 510H and everything I need to upgrade the drive but haven't bothered to do so as yet.
    Yeah do what he did. I did that with my crappy burner and it worked. But my Lite On DVR (not a hard disk DVR) seems worn out. My dad has been using it to burn everyday tv shows onto DVD (6 hours a day, monday to saturday) and i think the lens might be worn out on mine. It spits them out like yours does, and it can't read anything (DVDs). Even spits out blank DVDs. So btw, is your DVR new?
    LITEON man!
    Quote Quote