VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My apologies if someone has already answered this question. I have searched the forums carefully and was not able to locate an answer.

I have a collection of DV tapes going back to 1998. I have captured each tape into a single DV AVI file over the past few years - primarily as a backup. So I now have 30 or so large 8-17GB DV AVI files.

I would like to split these into smaller AVI files using the Time Stamp in the DV file.

Ideally I'd like to point a program/utility at my single TAPE0001.AVI and generate multiple scene files based on the Time Stamp e.g. 1998_06_04_14_22_00.AVI, 1998_06_04_15_33_00.AVI, etc.

I started to recapture the files using WinDV to do this, but unfortunately the older tapes are now close to 10 years old and some of the footage is choppy (I guess the tapes have deteriated).

Could anyone recommend a utility that would do this? I don't mind paying for a commercial solution, I just want something that's reliable and can be run in batch mode.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I would recommend DVDate by Paul Glagla http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm

I have been using DVDate for all things DV for years and it has not failed me.
    It can (quickly) create a scene file from your avi file and then with that you can split the avi into scenes (by datecode).

It is free, small (1.5MB), can run from a flash drive (i.e. doesn't need to be installed), and is easy to use. Do I sound like I like DVDate? I do.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow! DVDate has an amazing array of features.

I figured out I can do what I want in a two step process - first split the AVIs by scene to a new output folder, then 2nd rename the AVI's using the time stamp to the format required - all with DVDate.

The DVDate Developer also has a great utility called ImageGrab that can be scripted to generate thumbnails from the AVIs - which works like a charm.

It's going to be so much easier to catalog and integrate this video into some home DVDs using these tools!

Many, Many Thanks!

Richard
    Quote Quote