VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some 4:3 footage that I want to put into a 16:9 iMovie project.
    How do I convert the footage using Quicktime Pro 7?
    Can it be done?
    If so do I need other software?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can either stretch the sides out to make it 16:9. Or you can crop the bottom and top of the 4:3 and then resize it to 16:9. In any case, you lose quality and/or picture area.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which version of iMovie are you using? In iLife '06, when I add 4:3 footage to a project set up as widescreen, it literally re-encodes the 4:3 footage to 16:9 pillarbox. You have to set this option in Preferences (otherwise I believe it will unnaturally stretch the content).
    Quote Quote  
  4. I am using iMovie HD 6.04. When I import from my camera it will automatically change any 4:3 images into 16:9 because I have clicked on the preference you are talking about. This only seems to work if you are importing from a camera and not if you drag a file in or import a file from the hard drive.
    I don't want to stretch the image or crop it so can it be converted somehow so that the 4:3 image keeps its proportions but changes to 16:9 ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like there is a problem with your iMovie install. I did just today precisely what you are trying to do, with a recent episode of the Daily Show, and it worked as I described. However, I am using iMovie 6.0.3.
    Quote Quote