VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My friend has given me some videos he has recorded with his Canon PowerShot S3 IS. He wants to play them on his DivX DVD player. How to go about converting the videos to DivX AVI ? I have a posted a GSpot screenshot. Any help appreciated.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SUPER should be able to do this without the need to install an mjpeg codec.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the quick reply. I will try SUPER. Can you point me to a guide to doing this with SUPER? By the way, what type of avi is this? Is it DV Avi?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, it's MJPEG avi. Common codec for video shot with digital still cameras. ffdshow can decode mjpg, and with mp4cam2avi, you can convert your AVI to XviD AVI with mp3 audio (source audio is uncompressed) that should play on most DivX capable players.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks mats. I will try mp4cam2avi first. Its a much smaller download.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I tried mp4cam2avi but cannot make it work. I cannot find any option to select the output file as DivX or XviD. Any help appreciated. SUPER is still in the state of download. Will try that soon.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From the documentation:
    Right pane (target file/directory, conversion settings)

action

Select what you want to do:

a) Many -> Many AVI (just convert files, each source clip to separate avi)
    b) Many -> One AVI (convert and join all source clips to one avi)

video format

Only available in Expert mode

By default, video is not recompressed (Source video), this is much faster and causes no video quality loss.

If you want to recompress video to XviD MPEG-4 ASP, select one of the 'XviD MPEG-4' options. If source video is MPEG-4, you shold check 'enable MPEG-4 recompression' in advanced settings to perform operation. If you are familiar to XviD settings, you can select 'XviD MPEG-4 ASP (user-configurable)' and configure codec n advanced options.

Video recompression is supported only for MJPEG and MPEG-4 ASP source video.
    I've highlighted the important parts in bold.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  8. It worked. Thanks to mats for the details. One more question, My friend has the Phillips DVP 642 which plays DivX. Will the final video which is XviD work on this player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably. Most DivX players also play XviD. The tool AviReComp uses XviD to recompress incompatible AVIs into standalone player friendly format, so the chances are very good.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  10. Okay. Thanks again for your efforts.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    To playback Divx on the DVP-642, you must NOT use:
    1) GMC
    2) QPel (quater pixel)
    3) Packed bitstream
    4) Video bit rates higher than 2000 Kbps
    5) Resolutions greater than 720x576

I don't use Super for encoding to Divx, so I can only tell you to avoid these things if you want the file to play without problems.
    Quote Quote  
  12. My output videos have a bit rate of just over 2000 kbps (2054). Will they work?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's no fixed max allowed bitrate here. It's 100% player dependant. You simply wont know until you've tried.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  14. Ok....I guess i have to try first. Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote