VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I previously made a compilation of clips from dvds of a TVshow. The audio and video bitrates are the same on all dvds. I took clips from them with Dvdshrink. I loaded them in TDA (all into one track), finetuning the edit points. When I was done outputting, I ran that thru Pgcedit and made sure all the "Seamless joints" boxes were ticked off so there wouldn't be any pauses during playback. I burned a dvd, and deleted all the files.
    Now, I'd like to add 2 clips to the compilation, 1 at the start and at the end. Basically merging 3 VOB's. When I load the new clips and the big compilation into TDA, the audio somehow goes out of sync in the big compilation, near the end.

If I break up the big compilation by loading it several times into the project (breaking the compilation into it's original short clips), this improves the sync, but at the end of some of these clips the A/V is either slightly shortened, or hiccups. So it's not a perfect solution.

Any solution to this? Would Vobedit merge the clips and old compilation without sync issues?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Put the original authored files from dvd , in a new folder called one.

Create a new project in tda , using the same settings as before , and output the new clips to second new folder called two .

In folder one , rename vobs as

Vts_01_000
    Vts_01_001
    ect .

Go to folder two where newly generated output was created , and follow the pattern , using next number .

If folder one ended with vts_01_007 , then the first file in folder two becomes vts_01_008 .

Transfer all files from folder two , back to folder one , holding original authored project files , so that folder two is now empty .

Run vobedit , load first vob , being vts_01_000 , file , join clips , output to folder two .

When done run ifoedit , generate new ifo's , select first vob of title from folder two , and wait .
    Hit "get vts sectors" .
    You have four ifo's , select the last two , one at a time , and save , overwrite originals .
    You may need to check video and audio stream info is correct before saving them .

Title should play normal if same authoring settings had been used in tda as for previous project output .

Most likely caused by decoder fault .

When you added previous authored files , how did you go about it ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried your instructions. I'm adding 3 VOB's without any old IFO's. I merge them in Vobedit, get one VOB. I run Ifoedit and make new IFO's for it (2 are shown). Hit "Get VTS files," get some windows asking if I want to fix some sector addresses. I keep clicking "yes," then IFOedit finishes by showing the first 2 IFO's with 2 new versions beneath them (the 4 IFO's you refer to). I saved the 2 new IFO's, but 'Shrink still can't read the file.
    If I fix the file in IFOedit with "mock strip" method or with Fixvts, it will load in 'Shrink. An unfortunate sideeffect is the TDA Edit window won't consistently display the video near the merge points. Plays fine on the dvd player, but if I ever want to edit again, it will be difficult to use TDA.
    I thought this might be because of how Vobedit made the edits. I tested 2 other merge programs - "Joinvobfiles" and "Dvdmerge." TDA Edit window displays their results better, but the video is cut-off a second at the merge points (both programs made the same results - their source code is probably identical).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No ... its a bug with dvdshrink I found .

The bug was only found during besweet encoding of the audio stream to perform the remux stage after the join ... testing my wintal dvrx250 recordings .

If you make 4 edit points in dvdshrink , as in taking clips , around 0.122 of the audio at the split point disappears causing the fault to appear later ... gets worse when joining .

Any reauthoring will result in audio becoming unsynchronized or worse .

From here , its demux and realign the audio prior for each clip generated by dvdshrink ... yes , still working on it .

From 4 edit points its about 0.650 required to realign each clip again ... yet something funny appears to take place later ... pc playback ok ... dvd home player out of whack as before , but not as much .

====

Don't know why you disabled "seamless" playback ... that could cause problems as its not normal unless its a single vst title without chapter points .

Thats used to play a chapter point , and when done , calls cell command which indicates what to do next .
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by spiritgumm
    I previously made a compilation of clips from dvds of a TVshow. The audio and video bitrates are the same on all dvds. I took clips from them with Dvdshrink.
    If you "edited" in DVDShrink...there is your problem. Taking a full chapter
    in DVDShrink is NOT a problem....but when you edit the start and end points
    you will have sync issues....almost guaranteed.
    If I were you I would just start over again. I don't think any amount
    of playing with IfoEdit is going to solve the problem IF you did indeed
    try to use DVDShrink as an editor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs
    From here , its demux and realign the audio prior for each clip generated by dvdshrink ... yes , still working on it .
    When I demux (for this project I didn't need to) with Pgcdemux, it will show the delay in 'Shrink clips. In the past, I've tried remuxing with Muxman, but it never seemed to incorporate the delay time I'd input. Mpeg2schnitt worked great for syncing a/v, as you can preview it BUT I can't get the Edit window to work correctly (and noone has replied to my question about it). Programs like Syncview and Hypercube are suppose to help realign AV but I didn't have good luck in the past with them.
    Is there another way to eliminate the audio delay? Like when demuxing with Pvastrumento?
    I'll test Hech54's suggestion of using 'Shrink clips that start with a chapter point. I know there's no delay (from 'Shrink) if a clip is taken from the very start of a video.
    From 4 edit points its about 0.650 required to realign each clip again ... yet something funny appears to take place later ... pc playback ok ... dvd home player out of whack as before , but not as much .
    Are you saying you did resync the audio but it didn't play correctly on dvd player?

I tick the seamless playback joints to eliminate the pause created whenever I edit in TDA. Works perfectly. I know some people don't experience TDA edit pauses because their dvd player doesn't recognize them PC don't seem effected, either. But I know I'm not the only person to experience edit pauses.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes , I did resync them , but what a pain it is ... back and forth .

I renamed the vobs to mpeg , imported into ulead video studio (have to do it twice for first clip - ac3 audio problem) .
    Clipped it , saved out each part ... then removed all from project ... ulead tends to go nutts if files dont exist next time .
    Demuxed audio as wav using vdub .
    Converted audio to ac3 using besweet .
    Demuxed mpeg clips using batchdemux ... bbdemux .

Reauthored each clips video steam and audio stream (ac3) , with ifoedit .
    Renamed each vob as required for joining with vobedit .
    Stripped streams again with vobedit .
    Reauthored with ifoedit ... becomes a single title without chapter points .

Problem gone , perfect ... but not fast ... takes me about 30 minutes for a 28 minute clip (4 parts) .

===

I can get Mpeg2schnitt to work fine ... just had to add the file extension to settings .
    But then nothing will play the clips at the moment ... I'm up for a reload of xp .

===

Thats right , in dvdshrink , the problem dosent exist if start and end points are related to single title or chapters ... but then this may not always be the case ... especially when removing add's from recordings .

===

I got one more trick ... I'll report tomorrow how it turned out .
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Also don't forget FixVTS. Awesome little app that I'm almost certain will be of some help somewhere in your chain of events.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Taking a full chapter in DVDShrink is NOT a problem...
    I tried taking clips with 'Shrink at chapter points, but Pgcdemux shows there's a delay. I only get no delay if the beginning of the clip coincides with the start of the video itself.
    I thought there was an easy way to fix a audio delay (specific time) problem.

The problem I'm having with Mpeg2schnitt (which worked fine before) is the edit widow shows the video playing quicker than the audio. It's not a delay-issue (that could be fixed in Mpegs2schnitt), or extension file setting. I can't figure it out.
    Quote Quote