VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I am VERY new to digital video and am having some trouble and would greatly appreciate your advice. I have always used MYDVD version 4.5.2 (Windows 2000 Pro) to capture and burn my digital videos and had no problems. I would capture direct from my camera then burn to DVD using MYDVD. I have upgraded my PC and am still using Windows 2000 Pro. Just got finished capturing 4 digial tapes and all went well. When I started to burn to DVD I got the message "Could not complete the last command becuse: OS err (OSErr, 331778). Since I am using the same OS as before I don't understand why there should be a problem. Any suggestions?

Would it help if I were to upgrade to Windows XP. I am not comfortable with Vista just yet.
    If so, I feel I will need new software to capture and burn since I feel MyDVD version is probably too old to run on XP. What would you recommend? I am looking for something SIMPLE. This is something I do once a year and don't want to get overly involved in the technical aspects of this hobby.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What service pack is installed ... better be sp4
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BJ's
    I am using Service Pack 4. What do you think my problem is?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes , its a pick , wish they made these errors more sensible .

Two area's :

One relates to program unable to gain exclusive use of the burner ... the other blame's media that is used .

Start with shutting down all unnecessary running task's , and those in background (Ctrl + Alt + Del) ... just kill off things such as quicktime , anything using "read" in its name , incd is a bad one from nero , ipodservices , opware (scanner crapware) , wrtproc + wrtmon , ctfmon (a headache for shutdown) , ect , before trying again .

Questions :

A: What was the media being used ... just in case , new pc , brand and model of burner .
    B: Did the software come with the other systems burner as oem package ?
    C: Have you tried + .
    D: Round about method , output to folder from mydvd , and see if imgburn takes care of the burning to media

Should track the problem to one or the other from here .
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BJ's
    Thanks for the reply.

Last night I tried to burn again. I shut down everthing possible that was running. Still did not work. All seems to be going well until the very end of the operation. Then I get the message. In answer to your questions:
    1. I am using Verbabatim media. The PC was built for me in 05. Using Windows 2000 Pro as an OS.
    Burner is an AOpen S/N 53101692JE
    2. The software (MyDVD) came with my prior PC and is version 4.5.2. It was part of an OEM
    package.
    3. Have not tried "-" media. It was my understanding that if I wanted to play the movies on
    various devices I needed to use the "+" media.
    4. I looked at the imgburn software and am willing to give it a shot. You indicate I need to
    "output to folder from mydvd". How do I do this?

Do you think if I upgrade to Windows XP and purchase the newest version of MyDVD it will solve my problem? I know most users, who are serious about this hobby, don't like MyDVD but I like it because it is simple.

You have been very kind to offer advise and your continued advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Upgrading to xp and the lastest mydvd would solve the fault .

"-" is more compatible than "+".

I cant say if mydvd being oem , was locked to the drive it came with ... I will need to ask a friend on that .

Nero burning rom was supposed to ... said on package it would only work with the drive it came with , but never ran into that problem with swapping drive's .

As for how mydvd outputs , it may be under "File" in the gui .
    What they call it , I don't know , but when you find it , select "vob DVD Compliant" for output type .

When that's completed , files should look

Audio_ts = empty folder
    Video_ts = your vob files here

In imgburn > mode > build
    Also set "output" to file
    There will be a box called "source" , and the area under that has no name .
    To the right of this area is a yellow folder icon , click it
    Select folder > audio_ts
    Repeat , and select > video_ts folder

Go down to destination area , this is where you select location for generated iso image ... do not save it in the same folder containing audio_ts / video_ts folders .

Up and right is a tab "label"
    Enter name in both volume label iso9660 and udf
    Down and left , hit the big picture (folder > image file)
    And wait

When done > mode > write
    Set "output" to device
    Stick a blank dvd in drive and wait a moment
    Source > click the icon with magnifying glass , and select iso image just created
    Set burn speed to half media's max , or better at 4x
    Click the icon down left to start burning

Should project exceed 4.3gig , and dl be used , imgburn will pop open a new window with options to set appropriate layer break ... best set to 50/50 .

Should imgburn indicate issue , check media used is genuine with dvd_Identifier ... if it is , check for firmware update for dvd burner in use , update , try again .
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote