VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey all:

I watch many dvd's and recently I've started to have an intermittent problem with the tray of my dvd player not opening, neither through the remote control button nor with the button on the console. This only happens every couple of days or so but its annoying as theres no easy way for me to get the thing open. Generally when I push the open/close button the LED will say opening...it will do this for several seconds then it will say loading and load the disc back up. I have tried turning it off for 10 minutes or so and then unplugging it for the same period of time. For some reason unplugging it and then moving? it somehow seems to alleviate whatever the problem is, unplugging it alone won't do the trick. The unit does not feel hot, however, when I touch it during this process it feels as though the disc is still spinning even though the player is off. Not sure what that would mean. I am also positive that the tray lock option is not on. Any ideas as to what the problem could be or how I can fix it? I've taken the cover off but haven't seen anything obvious. And of course it still works most times so I know the motor isnt burned out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Long Live the Fighters!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since neither the remote or front panel work, it would seem to indicate there is an issue with the electronics/hardware associated with tray operation. The electronics will be part of the main PCB, so repair is out of the question. Mechanical hardware would be next, but typically when this fails, you would hear the player at least trying to open/close the tray (motor spinning for example). Since you don't appear to be hearing or seeing the drive trying to open/close, that leaves the first option.

If the drive is under warranty, take it in. Otherwise, time for a replacement.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok thanks krispykritter. I don't think it is mechanical as you say there are no noticeable noises that indicate that the tray is trying to open, other than the LED that is. I have read it could be as simple as dust on the sensors that tell it if its opening. If it does it again I might get in there with some canned air. If not I guess i will just write it off. I'm just not sure if I should try to get another of the same or similar model or aim for something new. Would have to be able to play divx, xvid etc.
    Long Live the Fighters!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've only had 2 Divx capable players so far, two original version 642's and an Oppo 971H. The Oppo by far is the better player, but likely out of the typical users budget.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. One thing to look out for. Is there anything on top of the unit? I had the same problem and all I had on top was a couple of remotes. It seems to have low clearance inside.

Then it started having problems playing discs. I liked the remote and the operation until it started having polayback problems with Burned DVDs that played in a Philips. Strange part was it always started skipping and freezing near the start of playback. I had tow of them that did that. I ended up with a Philips 5960 and later a Philips 5982. Cheesy remote, no Eject function on the remote and so on but at least it plays discs.

So Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes Tbone I do actually have a cable box that sits on top of it. I will keep monitoring it and see if changing any of the things you and krispy mentioned helps. How is your Philips working out? I had originally gotten the original DVP 642 however I had both playback and technical issues with it such as, the unit would turn off if you pushed ff on the remote followed by play. I have read that the philips remotes sometimes have the open/close button nested in the stop button, hold for 10 seconds or so, perhaps that is the case with your newer models as well?
    Long Live the Fighters!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks I'll try that and see of it ejects that way.

The two Philips are working out Ok. Excluding the cheesey remotes. I likes the Toshiba remotes functionality however that was trumped when they both developed problems playing DVDs.

They play most Divx/Xvid/Mpg/MP3 I've thrown at them in informal testing. The USB ports are not getting the use I expected of them. It being easier to just put the Divx from TDA3 onto DVDs. They play the +R, -R and +R DLs fine.

Good luck on yours
    Quote Quote  
  8. It's probably the power supply. Toshiba DVD players are pretty famous for PS problems and the tray not opening is one of the signs it's going or gone. I've seen the power supplies on ebay before.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by TufrThanu
    I have read that the philips remotes sometimes have the open/close button nested in the stop button, hold for 10 seconds or so, perhaps that is the case with your newer models as well?
    I have a Phillips 5960 player and just tried holding the stop button on it and it worked for ejecting the tray, only takes about 2 or 3 seconds of holding it, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yup worked on a 5960 and a 5982. Great tip, you would think it would be marked on the remote. Makes me wonder what else is hiding on the remote.

Thanks for the tip.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sure, no problem!
    If that is the problem Samijubal I think I will try and use it to death and just see if it fails.
    Long Live the Fighters!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Toshiba dvd player model SD -3860 and the when I put a dvd movie on the tray then push close it closes but then a few seconds later it doesn't play and opens back up
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What can I do to fix this problem? I gave the top of the DVD open and the face off and now the tray doesn't even open at all when I plugged it in to test it after a video Saud to clean it so I did.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Replace it. The Toshiba SD-3860 was released 11 years ago. DVD players are not made to last forever.
    Quote Quote