VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a DivX file which I'd like to recode--or better yet--simply burn the corresponding SRT subtitle file into and then share on YouTube after trimming the desired segment.

How do I go about doing this? Is it possible without re-encoding the entire clip, and what software do I use?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could use ffmpegX and select XviD mencoder which would let you include the .srt file in the resulting file. (Yes, this is a re-encode.)

As long as you're going down this route, why not do an additional encode to H264 afterwards so that it's the quality you want before uploading it to YouTube? After all, YouTube is converting all of their assets over to H264.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the tip on H264 and YouTube...I didn't know about that. I've been using Handbrake to convert all my clips to XviD for my YouTube channel up until now.

I discovered that D-Vision has a nifty little re-encode feature under the tools menu which allows you to add srt subs and hardcode them. I've never had much luck with ffmepgX, but I keep around for it's built in bitrate and resolution calculator.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin
    As long as you're going down this route, why not do an additional encode to H264 afterwards so that it's the quality you want before uploading it to YouTube? After all, YouTube is converting all of their assets over to H264.
    rumplestiltskin, what's your take on converting clips to the recommended 320x240 resolution before uploading? I've been doing this with all of my videos, but I the quality is always pretty craptastic.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you control the parameters of the re-encoding (rather than letting others do it -maybe right, maybe wrong), you should end up with a better video. This would include the reduction in frame size and gives

If subtitles are not part of the mix, MPEG Streamclip also works quite well and gives you, perhaps, even more control than ffmpegX. Certainly it's more user friendly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is what I'm looking into for encoding for Youtube using VisualHub:
    Encoding for Youtube
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote