VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an NVidia GeForce4 MX4000 graphic card and i just noticed i can use a s-video cable to hook up to the tv. what i need to know is if its possible to record the movies that are on my computer to a vhs tape. If so what other cables and programs do i need and how do i setup everything. i use the divx player to watch my movies and i have a dvd/vcr combo.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You use the output leads that came with your computer, 1 video, and 1 audio L & R. Get 2 leads if you haven`t got them.

Connect to your VHS tape player inputs from computer outputs, the vhs player then is connected to a tv set. Use video AV 1 or 2 channel to view on vhs player .......... start player on computer and press record on vhs player at the same time........stop when done.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hmm, does the NVidia GeForce4 MX4000 video card generates MacroVision signal on the s-video out ?

I remeber ATI All-in-one video card does generate that to stop user VHS-taping the movie DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SingSing
    Hmm, does the NVidia GeForce4 MX4000 video card generates MacroVision signal on the s-video out ?

I remeber ATI All-in-one video card does generate that to stop user VHS-taping the movie DVD.
    I found the ATI all in one card I had on my last computer was a macrovion nightmare when I tried to input to the computer from VHS tapes ..even my home movies suffered.

Putting computer movies onto tape I had no problems, not that I do it anymore now.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When it comes to recording on vhs ... start the recording on vcr at least 30 seconds prior to output from pc ... it comes in hand later .

As for cables :

Svideo are rather short .

Other assortment shown here : https://forum.videohelp.com/topic334002.html

Before you can start , test the video out cable connected to tv out port on video card , not all work correctly , no matter what is tried ... been there .

Ive got xbox / xbox360 / ps1 / ps2 / vcr / dvd / dvb / tv , secondary pc system screen , all coming into pc ... to dvd , other compressed formats , even streaming live.

And anything on pc gose out to vcr ... dvd recorder is still in test state ... fixing xbox360 to dvd recorder issue first .

----

Dont forget , tv must be connect and on , before the pc .

Yes , in video setup you can force it to connect , by why not setup properly in the first place ... less issues later .
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my graphic card only has the s-video cable output and the monitor connector nothing for sound so do i need some type of adapter?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Graphics cards output video, not audio. The audio comes out the audio card. So you'd have to hook line out from the audio card to line in on the VCR.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i hooked up the s-video cable to the vcr from my comp. and i'm not getting any image i've tried both line 1 & 2 channels and also channel 1 on the vcr but only get a blue screen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you set the VCR up as "2nd monitor" in the graphics card settings? Do you get anything else (than the blue screen) if you hook the s-video cable to a TV instead of the VCR?

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i did enable the tv-out as a clone on my graphic card but i can't try it straight to the tv cause i don't have a tv with s-video input.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does your VCR have an S-Video input? It's usually only SVHS models that do.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have a magnavox MSD 805 vcr/dvd combo. and i just noticed that the vcr has s-video output thats probably why im getting no image on the tv. i thought it was s-video input.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does it have a SCART connector? Many SCART plugs/adapters have s-video connector, and an in/out switch.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    Does it have a SCART connector? Many SCART plugs/adapters have s-video connector, and an in/out switch.

/Mats
    Doubt it, he's in the US.

If the computer doesn't have a composite video out, you'll need an adapter to turn the S-Video into composite and use that. Composite doesn't give such good quality but it won't be noticable on VHS.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, if you have a divx player, then why not to copy your movie to a DVD or CD as divx file, and play it on divx player and record to VHS??
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a similar question and am new to this forum. I want to be able to record from my computer to my VHS/DVD recorder to play on another machine at my other home. My brother gave me his high-end Toshiba laptop that runs through Vista because it is cumbersome to use for many tasks but handles A/V really well, and I travel between two homes. My remote home has no broadcast or cable TV or internet access available (other than dial-up). I have broadband internet at my primary home, a Toshiba VCR/DVD recorder (DKVR60KU) with S Video input (and output), and the Toshiba laptop has an S Video output.
    I thought it would be easy to connect the Toshiba laptop's S Video out and an audio out cable as a source to the Toshiba video recorder so I could record some online shows to watch later at my home where there's no TV or internet access. But when it is all properly connected (and cables checked, verified on other sources that they work), all I get is a blank screen (but I do get audio). When I connect the computer directly to a TV via S Video, it works fine, as does the VCR/DVD recorder in playback mode for recordings made from other sources made on either VHS or DVD.
    Is there something in the design that prevents recording from the computer as the video source like a copy protection (I swear that I am not recording to distribute, only to watch it myself!)? Or, is there something else that I need to do? Is there another way to record online shows that normally stream so I can watch them later where I don't have internet or cable access? Can it be done by some kind of adapter from the VGA to RCA or composite video if S video is blocked (does something like that exist, and where would I find it?)?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by DrZStrom; 13th Sep 2013 at 15:55.
    Quote Quote