VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got my old PC with windows XP, on virgin network via a USB adapter connection, I have just bought a aspire 5050 laptop with vista, if i plug the network connection into my laptops USB port via the adapter it works fine but if i plug in using the Ethernet port i can't get onto the web, the same thing happens going through the router so i can't set up the wirefree. what am i doing wrong, i'm on the way to a nervous breakdown, been doing this for weeks now. I'm not very good on computers so must be easy to do or i'm giving up. I've got the D-Link 524 and all the lights come on. fed up your my last hope
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You mean you can't get the router working?

Well, does it have a manual, in PDF form on the CD perhaps, or on the manufacturer's site?

Most routers can be configured by connecting them to a PC via ethernet, then on the PC, opening this page in your browser: http://192.168.1.1/
    But the numbers may vary between companies, thus read the manual. Also, this page may require a password, also in the manual -- it wouldn't be good to leave the router on line allowing anyone to reconfigure it, so you should change this immediately from the default.

From there you can configure the router, to give it the password to log in to the ISP, and also set your WAP passwords for WiFi if you're using that.

Work thorugh the manul step by step and you should be okay.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks Alan but done this over and over, think i'll have to pay some one to do it, had enough
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried D-Link support? I had a similar problem with a Trendnet router which turned out to be a conflict between modem and router IP address, and Trendnet support was very helpful. Never had a D-Link, but it wouldn't hurt to try their tech support.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    will do thank you
    Quote Quote