VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not able to convert some .flv's I hve into MP4's for some reason. When I click the 'encode' button, the process is finished in about a second and there's no video file anywhere.

Searched the forums before posting and saw that some people with similar problems had to select the "Invert Mapping" in the Audio tab to fix it but this isn't working for me. I'm probably missing something pretty obvious but I think I have the binaries installed correctly. Here's the log:

Encoding started on Mon Aug 13 20:55:41 EDT 2007
    FFmpeg version CVS, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
    Mac OSX universal build for ffmpegX
    configuration: --enable-memalign-hack --enable-mp3lame --enable-gpl --disable-vhook --disable-ffplay --disable-ffserver --enable-a52 --enable-xvid --enable-faac --enable-faad --enable-amr_nb --enable-amr_wb --enable-pthreads --enable-x264
    libavutil version: 49.0.0
    libavcodec version: 51.9.0
    libavformat version: 50.4.0
    built on Apr 15 2006 04:58:19, gcc: 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5250)
    [flv @ 0x5597b8]Unsupported video codec (4)
    [flv @ 0x5597b8]Unsupported video codec (4)
    [flv @ 0x5597b8]Unsupported video codec (4) <-----This Line Repeats A Lot So I Edited It

Seems that stream 0 comes from film source: 1000.00 (1000/1) -> 29.83 (179/6)
    Input #0, flv, from '/Users/anthonynorkus/Desktop/mx vid/2020743104.flv':
    Duration: 00:03:58.3, bitrate: N/A
    Stream #0.0, 29.83 fps(r): Video: 0x0004
    Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 22050 Hz, stereo
    Output #0, mp4, to '/Users/anthonynorkus/Desktop/mx vid/2020743104.flv.ff.mp4':
    Stream #0.0, 29.97 fps(c): Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 640x352, q=2-9, 940 kb/s
    Stream #0.1: Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, 96 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
    Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
    Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
    Unsupported codec (id=0) for input stream #0.0
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Norkusa
    Stream #0.0, 29.83 fps(r): Video: 0x0004
    Unsupported codec (id=0) for input stream #0.0
    FLV can come with a small variety of video codecs. IIRC, 0x0004 is VP6, which may not yet be supported by the version of ffmpeg in ffmpegX.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gotcha. Thanks for the quick reply.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since I couldn't convert these .flv's, I just uploaded them to YouTube and was able to download them from there with TubeSock. Quality wasn't that great but I was able to get them on my iPod finally.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else was having the same problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've used this site's services: http://vixy.net/

Sometimes it converts flv's that give ffmpegX or MPEG Streamclip fits.

The more tools, the better.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, i preface this by admitting i am an eternal n00b myself, but hopefully as such my suggestion will be useful to other n00b's!

i struggled on and off for a few days to find a way to convert my flv's for free on a mac. i tried every compatible software on this site, and everything i could find off the internet, you name it i tried it.

the only thing i didn't find suggested anywhere was the one thing that has worked for me.

use iMovie to drag in flv files as clips. drag the flv file into an open iMovie project. iMovie automatically converts the flv to a dv. this can take a very long time, depending on the file size, and iMovie can only convert one at a time, so i don't suggest trying this at home unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

once it's done importing your flv, you drag the new "clip" directly from iMovie to your desktop. it will save to your desktop as a dv. finally, you can drag this into iTunes, and convert the dv to an mp4. iTunes can't convert the mp4's directly, but it can convert the dv's. voila. iPod compatible mp4's from stubborn flv's. done. quality seems comparable to the original as far as my senses can perceive. (then again i've been sitting here for a while.)

again, this is super time-consuming but it gets the job done for free. i'll be nicely embarrassed if someone tells me that there is a simpler way to do this or this has already been discussed, but i'll be happy to be enlightened, as long as the whole schpiel is helpful to some other poor n00b in the end. nobody told me how to do this, so hopefully i save someone else the trouble.
    Quote Quote