VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well i have searched and tried and tried, and i am getting frustrated.

I used EazyVCD and it works great most of the time. (About 80%) Some discs it wont work on and i do not know why. It is probably becasue the kids scratch the heck out of these. (This is why i need a backup!)

I do not have a DVD burner and really have no plans to get one.

I have many programs that i have downloaded and even some that i purchased thinking they would help, but so far i cant figure it out.

I have checked the guides and most seem older. Probably because no one used VCD's anymore...

But i do have these programs (and probably more if i looked):
    1 Click DVD Ripper
    Super C
    Xilisoft DVD ripper
    EazyVCD
    DVD2SVCD
    SmartRipper
    TMPGEnc
    VCD Gear
    DVD Decrypter
    Ripit4me
    DVD Fab Decrypter

I love the option with EazyVCD to make XVCD/XSVCD to hold an entire movie on CD-R. It seems so reasonable. I dont need quality. Its for kids movies and they dont care.

I have had success using Xilisoft to rip/encode and then convert to SVCD format with TMPGEnc. Then i make a bin/cue with VCDGear.

I cant burn without a bin/cue. (At least with my Nero Express version.)

Any suggestions? I am getting so frustrated.

Thank you very much.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you click to the top left on what svcd and vcd is, you can find the specs needed in order to convert to them. After reading your post I am not sure if you stated a problem, or if you want a better way of converting to (s)vcd....

When I used to convert to svcd, dvd2svcd was a good all-in-one. Other than that, I dunno what else you want suggestions for.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Pinstripes23
    If you click to the top left on what svcd and vcd is, you can find the specs needed in order to convert to them. After reading your post I am not sure if you stated a problem, or if you want a better way of converting to (s)vcd....

When I used to convert to svcd, dvd2svcd was a good all-in-one. Other than that, I dunno what else you want suggestions for.
    Will DVD2SVCD create XSVCDs?

I guess i am trying to figure out a way to do it besides using VCDEazy.

I have tried DVD2SVCD and received errors. I will try again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way to do it without DVD2SVCD?

I used the guide and tried it three times and none seemed to work.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 4194
    Will DVD2SVCD create XSVCDs?
    I don't think so. I've never converted to XSVCD.

Is there a way to do it without DVD2SVCD?

I used the guide and tried it three times and none seemed to work.
    Yea you can do it manually.

- Use dgindex to create a .d2v file and extract the audio.
    - Use avisynth and an mpeg2 encoder to encode the video to (s)vcd specs. If SVCD, you can encode to 23.976fps and use dgpulldown to add the flags for 29.97fps playback.
    - Use besweet to convert the audio to mp2 44100 khz and choose your bitrate(224kbps was when I used to do it)
    - BBmpeg to mux both video and audio and you can split it up for 2 CD's also.
    - VCDGear to create the bin/cue files.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Pinstripes23. I will try that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

I do not have a DVD burner and really have no plans to get one.
    I understand where you are coming from. I used to be the same way. I thought why spend the money when I already have a cd burner. I eventually saved up the money and bought a dvd burner (spent around $40). I am so glad I did. You will be amazed at the better quality and the ease with which you can make your backups.

I don't know your situation. You may be like me and even a $40 purchase can take a while to save up for. But I will say that it is worth it.

As for making xvcd or svcd I also used dvd2svcd. It worked every time for me. I just followed the guides on doom9.

Good luck.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info Freebird.

It is mostly a money issue with the DVD burner. Plus i would have to buy an external or pay someone to install an internal one. Is there software to copy DVD's? All the ones i have seen say that they wont backup copyrighted items.

I will definitely try dvd2scvd again. I am wondering how long it take to make a backup? I guess i got impatient because it seemed to start to hang and i figured it was stuck.

Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Dvdfabdecrypter to rip to hard drive.
    dvdrebuilder to shrink to fit dvd5
    dvdshrink (no longer updated but still great software) to shrink to fit dvd5

All freeware. All will back up dvd's you own.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I will definitely try dvd2scvd again. I am wondering how long it take to make a backup? I guess i got impatient because it seemed to start to hang and i figured it was stuck.
    It was probably creating a d2v file. Doesn't seem like it is doing anything but it is. Start it off before you go to bed and it will be done when you wake. Speed depends on your computer.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, i still cant get DVD2SVCD to work. It runs for about a minute and then just freezes and does nothing. (Except swap the amazon ads.)

The Xilisoft ripper seems to work marginally for ripping. (Rip to SVCD .vob format and then make an image file to burn to CD.) I do not have a widescreen TV and it seems to really squash the widescreen. More than the TV normally would playing the same DVD.

Are there any other easier type programs to put DVDs on SVCD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just curious are you using dvd2svcd to rip the disc? If so it's probably choking on newer protections. Try ripping the disc with dvdfabhddecrypter to your hard drive first then open the ifo in dvd2svcd.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by freebird73717
    Just curious are you using dvd2svcd to rip the disc? If so it's probably choking on newer protections. Try ripping the disc with dvdfabhddecrypter to your hard drive first then open the ifo in dvd2svcd.
    I guess i was. I was not using another program with it.

I am still a little unclear as to how this all works. I know that VCDEazy uses like a half a dozen programs to make a disc. I am really unsure as to what they all do. All i know is that it works most of the time.

Thanks for the tip!

The movies aren't really new. Some of the older movies work and some don't. It just seem hit or miss. Most of them say something like "cant find prefix code packet" (if i remember correctly...)

I will work at it more... Thanks for all your help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Dvd2svcd hasn' t been updated since 2005. And even before then It wasn't able to rip certain discs (specifically sony with arcos protection). Your best bet is to rip the disc with DVDFab HD Decrypter to your hard drive first then open the ifo in dvd2svcd. Sorry I didn't think of it before. Easy to overlook the obvious sometimes.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Freebird. I will play with it some more...
    Quote Quote