VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Opening .avi files is no problem in Nero for me but any time I try to open an .mp4 file whether in Nero Vision to try and put it on DVD or even in Nero Showtime to watch it I get this error:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero Showtime\NeroShowtime.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

(When I use Nero Vision substitute 'Nero Vision' for 'Nero Showtime' in the above error).

I have the latest version of Nero 7 Ultra Edition. I have uninstalled, used the Clean program, installed with and without InCD. I have tried to disable my virus scanner and firewall. None of these things have worked. I use to have Roxio on my computer but have taken it off. Still nothing.

I can get these files to play on my VLC media player but not on my Windows Media Player, that one doesn't even register they exist. I'm not worried about that but thought I'd add that info in in case it's helpful.

I've read in a many posts about copying your history log on to here to help but I'm not sure how to do that.

Many thanks,
    Jane
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IIRC, I quite recently saw someone who solved just this by installing latest ffdshow...

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Or just convert to dvd with ConvertXtoDVD instead.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you Matts. I installed ffdshow but perhaps I didn't configure it correctly as the same message appeared with no change. How does Nero know to use ffdshow to help it open the mp4 file? Is there something obvious that I'm supposed to set up?

Also, what is IIRC?

Again many thanks,
    Jane
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IIRC= If I Recall Correctly
    ffdshow should kick in autmatically. Make sure it's configured to decode mp4. You may also need haali media splitter.
    But on the whole, Nero is not the best choice. Try Baldricks suggestion.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, thank you both. I did now try ConvertxtoDVD and it worked easily and beautifully. I just wish that I'd realized that before I dropped all that money on Nero, which is why I was so determined to make it work by hook or by crook!

For Nero, I did try Haali as well with still no change. Ffdshow has mp4 enabled. It's no longer a necessity but rather a curiosity as to why it might work for other people easily but I keep getting this error. I keep feeling like there's just some setting somewhere that can easily be changed or some codec that can easily be downloaded and voila! it will work nicely!

However, on the upshot with all this extra stuff, my windows media player now works nicely with mp4s!
    Thanks for your help. If anyone out there has any ideas purely for curiosity's sake, I'd love to hear them.

Cheers,
    Jane
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ChickaJane
    I just wish that I'd realized that before I dropped all that money on Nero
    I think you share that feeling with many new to this business!
    Originally Posted by ChickaJane
    on the upshot with all this extra stuff, my windows media player now works nicely with mp4s!
    That's a little odd, since I thought WMP and Nero would use the same decoding chain. If it works in one of them, it should work in both...

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  8. I tried a few more things and found that Nero had no problem opening it as an audio file. In fact when I tried it in Showtime, though the error would come up, as long as I didn't click on it, I could listen to the file. So I looked closer at the details for this particular file. Does this shed any light on the puzzle?

Audio: mpeg4aac, 48000 Hz stereo
    Video: h264, yuv420p 640x352

Thanks,
    Jane
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Politics. (My hunch)

I know your problem, but Nero has come to its senses with the latest version.

If the H.264/AVC file was not encoded by Nero Recode then Nero ShowTime will discourage you somewhat. I guess this has something to do with the fact that they want to start endorsing Nero Digital (AVC) players in the near future.

This is especially true if the H.264/AVC file has complex features like multiple reference frames, B-pyramids, etc. Forget it. Crash! It will however run iPod compliant files though, or some QuickTime compatible H.264/AVC files that weren't encoded with Nero Recode as long as they are of a lower complexity and bitrate, but not all.

However, whether this was indeed politics or a bug, it has been corrected in the latest version. I would bet you have a version that is one version too old.

I had this problem starting with their Nero 7.9.6.0 bundle (or was it their Nero 7.8.5.0 bundle? Don't remember now ), but nevertheless, the latest Nero 7.10.1.0 has corrected it.

That may be your problem and solution. Too bad I may have tuned into this thread a few days late...
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote