VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I have a VHS rip, absolutely horrible wrecked quality, but trying to do what I can with it. I'm using AviSynth to filter, using this:

DeJitter(last,jmax=40,th=255, wsyn=8, extend=true)

ApplyRange (2654, 180197, "Tweak", 9, 1.4, 0, 1.1)

Tcomb (5,4,9,9)

TemporalSoften(4,4,8,15,2)

The original file size is 700 MB. When I try to fast recompress it to Xvid, the file ends up about double this size, and that's with "No audio" selected in Virtualdub. I bumped the quantizer in Xvid up to 7.50, and it was still bigger than the original.. I've tried just recompressing the file without going through AviSynth, and the problem is not present. I've also compared it to other files I have that are similar, and the only difference I can find (in G-spot) is the interleave under stream type says "2 vid frames," while most of my others say 1. In any case, I don't see what in that AviSynth script causes it to crank the file size up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quantizer (quality based) encoding is based on the image quality and the bitrate the encoder believes is required to maintain similar image quality. Your script is changing the image in a manner that is affecting the quantizer's calculations.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote