VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I'm thinking about using Linux to do some video authoring, but I'd like to see a demo, for instance a trailer just to see what special effects, morfing, etc... That can be done with Linux. Are there limitations? Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    calande,
    Firstly I don't know of any trailers or demos, There are some applications out there but I will caution you about Linux's video capabilities. I am a Linux/Windows dual boot user, I have been testing and trying Linux (MEPIS and Ubuntu Feisty) for about 6 months now. Linux is a phenomenal operating system now experiencing unprecedented growth and interest. It is NOT a "video-centric" operating system. Linux is terrific for converting one format to another with tools like ffmpeg and mencoder, it has several great DVD Authoring and Burning apps, K3B, DeVeDe, ToVid, DVDStyler to name only a few. AviDemux is a fair replacement for VirtualDub and is constantly being developed. As far as Video Capture Linux is limited (for average users) to support for DV cameras, and Capture Cards with specific Conexxant chips on them. There is fair support for DV and limited good programs for other hardware. As far as NLE Video Editors there are very few and they have either ceased or stalled in development (Cinelerra) or are just beginning with promise (KDenLive, Lives). Features like smart-rendering are non-existent as of yet. Let me be clear that video apps for Linux are progressing and improving very quickly, but there is a lot of work to be done. If you are serious about NLE Editing or Video Restoration there is no substitute (yet) for Windows applications. The future is looking bright with AviSynth's next release being for Linux and Windows, and there are more video related applications showing up in the repositories. But as much as I love Linux it would be blowing sunshine to say that it is a serious alternative for NLE Video Editing/Authoring. Just tryin' to keep it real.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! I'll be watching Linux then and as soon as it's good enough, I'll use it
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just to add, many Linux distros can be ran from disc, if you would like to expirement with them without installing anything permanent to your computer. It's a good way to get a 'feel' for the OS. Ubuntu and others can do this.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ubuntu Studio has a selection of apps with it.

Elive Gem also has some - the first release hasn't been out long yet (July 07?) - so it (like the apps) is a bit immature - but it's still very nice to work in (e is similar to 'fluxbox on steroids', and also has a 'mac like' dock called engage(and another to choose from))

I have it and Ubuntu(not studio version) on the same machine (dual boot), with vlc player - videos were smoother on Elive than Ubuntu (I think something to do with kernel latency - and/or Elive had 'native' drivers for the nvidia card/screen resolution)

http://ubuntustudio.org/

http://www.elivecd.org/
    (A free download existed on softpedia)
    ---
    A+, Network+, MCP... and still learning!

www.ubuntuforums.org
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote