VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to backup a 22.5 Gbyte AVI file by copying to another hard drive on the same computer. (It is a WIN XP SP1 with multiple hard drives.)
    Multiple messages popped indicating the copy process failed for some non specific error, but the process also looked like it was still running, but it wasn't . . . .

is there software that will create an identical copy of an AVI file in a more reliable manner?

Thank you
    ~ Allen
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is the destination drive NTFS? It has to be - can't be FAT for such a big file.
    I find DOS copy command more reliable than drag/drop using Windows, but that's perhaps what you tried?

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just finished reading about VideoDub and thought I would give it a try. I just kicked off a copy of a section (about 15 minutes of video) of the AVI file and the present estimated time to complete is listed at 18 hours.

While that seems like a long time, the last time I used Pinnacle Studio to extract 19 min 30 sec from the same 1 hour 40 min AVI, it took 9 days, so 18 hours seems like a bargain.

One thing puzzles me, why does the Task Manager CPU usage show only moments of intense CPU processing rather than constant CPU processing? Every 14 seconds I see a spike in CPU to 35~40%, the rest of the time CPU sits near zero.

(I have 1.5 GB RAM and I have 3GB of Page File on a dedicated hard drive.)

Why doesn't the CPU stay busy all the time?

Thank you
    ~ Allen
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One thing that puzzles me, is: What does this has to do with copying a big file between drives?

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Typical reasons for failure to transfer files: Drive or Connection failure. I have a Fantom Drive that would start off niceley, then crap out about 2 - 3 GB into a file transfer. I sent it back, they replaced the control board; and it's crashed one time since. After the crash, I changed to a new USB cable, and it seems to be fine. (BTW: I did change cables before, but with crashing results).

If you are transfering or encoding to an external drive - change the cable, or change the drive.

If the drive is internal - check the cable, check the drive.

In either case, do a thorough scan of the drive and defrag it OFTEN, Often, often.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  6. For a simple file copy, the CPU usage shouldn't be high anyway. The spikes you are seeing are due to some other process on your system (e.g., antivirus, checking for email on a web server etc, Windows' background stuff).

An estimate of 18hrs for a 22.5GB file copy means that at least one of your drives is very slow (about 0.4MB per second). I suspect that you either have USB1.1 hard drives and/or a USB1.1 controller.

Why the error messages? Like Mats said, the destination drive must be NTFS. Another (though unlikely) reason is if your system drive doesn't have enough space. Sometimes, Windows likes to do things using the TMP folder, such as copy the file temporarily to it (though in a way that doesn't impact the copy process as far as the user is concerned). I've come across this with extracting ZIP files from one external drive to another. It kept failing because the internal system drive didn't have enough space! But, as I say, it is probably very unlikely for a straight copy.

I'm confused that you got multiple error message for one copy. Using Windows Explorer, you only get a single error if one occurs and the copy stops. I've never received multiple errors - EXCEPT for those of the Abort/Retry kind. These arise do to hardware errors, such as classfour hints at (either a poor connection or a failing drive).

Are you using Windows Explorer to do the copy or a program such as VirtualDub?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My apologies for confusing the issue by posting things not connected directly to the subject line.

The copy failure was a windows explorer 'point, click, copy, point elsewhere, click, paste'. It spit out 3 or 4 identical messages indicating an error while copying and saying it was unable to copy, however it was clearly still showing the copy graphic and taskmanager said the copy was still running when I killed it.

Then I tried using Virtual Dub to extract 15 minutes from the file and it looked like it was working well, (this is where the 18 hour estimate quote fits into the story), but I was just testing Virtual Dub, so after about 30 minutes I killed it.

I am not waiting for the result of an MSDOS command:
    F: COPY filename.avi -V H:\backup-dir

It has been running for 5 hours so far . . . . . 22.5 Gbyte AVI from one hard drive to another

The CPU spikes every 14 seconds . . . . that is what was showing while Video Dub was running, extracting the 15 min from 1hr40min of an AVI file. By the way, when I was running Pinnacle Studio to put off the first 19min of the same 1hr40min file the CPU spikes were showing the same (35~40% every 14 seconds). I expected to see the CPU constantly busy while Video Dub was running or Studio was rendering . . . .
    Thank you
    ~ Allen
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wrapping up, I did use the MS DOS copy command as noted above, but as it ran way too long, something was wrong.

So I killed it and then I performed clean up on the hard drives, did a defragment to ensure the target area was clean and then ran the COPY /V from MS DOS and it copied it fine in about 10 minutes (maybe less).

Thank you for the tip to use COPY from MS DOS.

~ Allen
    Quote Quote