VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am a newbie to this forum. Hoping to expand my knowledge on this site.

I have a question about charging the batteries on my Canon GL2 camcorder on an upcoming fishing trip to Canada. It will be a fly-in trip and the only power source is solar powered batteries for the lights in the cabin. My question is, can I buy an inverter and put battery cable clamps on it, and attach it to the batteries to power my A/C charger so I can recharge my batteries at camp?

Thanks ahead of time for your help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    buy a couple long life batteries for the cam and bring them with you. don't use the lcd screen to conserve power while recording.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Charge up and take a couple of these Click Here
    If you have an auto adapter for your cam you can plug it in directly otherwise get an inverter and use your ac adapter.

Edit: As far as using an inverter on the Solar Cell batteries at the cabin, that will work as long as the inverter is rated for the voltage of the batteries. The only Solar Cell set up I've seen the batteries were 24volt and won't work with the standard inverter you would normally find, which are designed for 12volt Automotive batteries. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the ones at that cabin are 24volt, it just means you'll have to find out yourself. Of course if you screw up and short out the lighting system, the owner isn't going to be very happy with you and may leave you there permanently.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've used one of those 'jump starter' units with my laptop, along with an inverter and it works fairly well. They use gel cells, so there should be no chance of leaks.

Alternately, you could use a solar charger and a camcorder battery charger that runs off 12V.

http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-chargers/SP60-12.html

http://www.calcellular.com/can-bp-915-charger.html
    Quote Quote