VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am having problems ripping a DVD with DVD Shrink, it complains about the DVD structure.
    I can copy it fine to the HD with a file manager, and i can rip it using DVD decryptor but AFAIK DVD decryptor doesnt let me edit the files in the same way as DVD Shrink would.

I recorded a couple of TV programs onto a DVDRW, using a standalone LG DVD recorder.
    I paused one time, so there are two "shows" on the disc, from the LG's point of view. I believe they may have a menu.

Now i believed i would be able to rip the disc onto two or perhaps one images using DVD Shrink.
    I would then mount the image as a DVD drive using Daemon tools, and re-rip the images into new neater images, getting rid of content i dont want.
    This explanation may be complicated. But anyhow.

DVD Shrink doesnt let me rip the disc at all, because of an erratic structure. I have come to the conclusion by googling, that this is because the disc contains several sessions, and isnt "finalized".

Since i can get the Video_ts and Video_rm folders copied using a file manager or DVD Decryptor, and since those folders contain >4 gigabytes of video, containing both of my shows.... ...is there any other tool that can help me splitting this DVD structure up?

I want to edit the structure, without any transcoding or recompression ofcourse. The two shows are 25 minutes and 180 minutes respectively, the second show of 180 minutes contain two feature films of 90 minutes each. I would like to split this all up into three DVD structures or preferably three ISO images.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well a way around it is to rip it on to the harddrive with the tools that do read the disc first. Then go into dvd shrink and click open files. That will let you access the dvd structures on your harddrive. Of Course that will take up more storage space but you will still be able to use dvd shrink once they are sitting on your harddrive like any other dvd. Good luck.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your reply

Originally Posted by yoda313
    Then go into dvd shrink and click open files. That will let you access the dvd structures on your harddrive. Of Course that will take up more storage space but you will still be able to use dvd shrink once they are sitting on your harddrive like any other dvd. Good luck.
    Storage space isnt an issue (yet), and my first idea was to use the method you outline. However, DVD Shrink doesnt let me load the structure even if it's on HD. It still gives the same error message:

DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.
    Invalid DVD navigation structure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sybariten
    Now i believed i would be able to rip the disc onto two or perhaps one images using DVD Shrink.
    I would then mount the image as a DVD drive using Daemon tools, and re-rip the images into new neater images, getting rid of content i dont want.
    This explanation may be complicated. But anyhow.
    Your method is not TOO complicated or far off (aside a need for Daemon tools) but....why would you expect this to work without the disc being finalized?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by hech54
    Your method is not TOO complicated or far off
    I mainly thought it was my explanation that was complicated...

Originally Posted by hech54
    but....why would you expect this to work without the disc being finalized?
    Well, thats a good question. To be honest i didnt really think of the fact that a standalone player needs to finalize discs, when i started the project.
    And now i actually think it has trouble finalizing this disc in question. The option is greyed out in the menu. Do you think there could be a problem with filling the disc up completely? I let this one record all evening while i did something else, so the disc is full.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try this

Just copy the video_ts folder, forget the RM folder

rename the vobs to mpeg OR use vobtompeg and then edit the content and author a DVD

just like you were using FRESH captured mpeg files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sybariten
    Your method is not TOO complicated or far off
    I mainly thought it was my explanation that was complicated...

but....why would you expect this to work without the disc being finalized?
    Well, thats a good question. To be honest i didnt really think of the fact that a standalone player needs to finalize discs, when i started the project.
    And now i actually think it has trouble finalizing this disc in question. The option is greyed out in the menu. Do you think there could be a problem with filling the disc up completely? I let this one record all evening while i did something else, so the disc is full.
    I also had trouble with my discs if I let the recorder fill it completely...or to put it in better terms...allow the recorder to end/stop recording on it's own.
    Is there any other option on your recorder...like "protect" or something instead of finalize?
    DVDShrink had a "fix" many years ago that allowed it to work with DVD recorder discs. Many people scoffed at this fix but as you and I both know....DVDShrink is the best way to preview what is on the disc even though you have no intention or need to "shrink" the disc.
    I would also try theewizard's option...then run the VIDEO_TS folder through FixVTS(fix in place - no backup). It might help but I have my doubts since I believe your problem lies in the fact that you really are not working with a "DVD"....finalizing or protecting the disc actually creates the correct DVD structure that other players/computers need to see in order to open the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. theewizard, hech54: thank you for your advice!

Concidering that the video folder on a dvd generally contains four (or so) very big files.... are those the main mpeg2-file, split up into consecutive chunks? I mean, is it as simple as that?
    Cause i can play these files quite easily with mplayer, and if they are just normal mpeg2 files with no real need for extra information, i will most probably be able to join them somehow and make a new dvd.
    Which, i guess is the idea behind your tips too.
    Quote Quote  
  9. And hech54: about this fix in DVD Shrink you mention.... did DVD Shrink have troubles with just any home recorded dvd or what? I mean, even if they were recorded in just one session, and finalized.

And, yes, DVD Shrink is a fantastic tool.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its not a dvdshrink issue or the fact the disc's are not finalized .

Its the dvd record having screwed up .

I too have run into this problem with a few recordings with my wintal unit , especially with dvd+rw's after the third time , not all do it .

The last one , I poked about inside the structure only to see it started with vob id 31 , cell 12 , up to cell 33 , ending with cell 255 , and a second recording later on the same disc done the same thing .

Not the right way ... don't know why it happened .

There are 2 way's of curing those files .

A: let ifoedit regenerate ifo's and bup's for the title , and see if dvdshrink can handle them after .

If its as screwed up as mine was , that wont work .

B: Vob2mpeg reads vobs and outputs as mpegs .

Only problem here is what to edit them with after .

Mpeg streamclip can be used to slice and dice , or even demux so they can be re-authored more directly with most authoring programs .

C: Once demuxed , try ifoedit or rejig to reauthor new title from source , then dvd shrink should be able to carry on .

If you cant get this far , they're pretty well toasted .
    Quote Quote