VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone

I've been developing a front-end to ffmpeg, mencoder, and a handful of many
    other cmd-line tools. But in one area, I've been having heartship with.

As the subject declares, basically, I'm getting pretty tired of creating an actual
    AVI from inside virtualdub and then finally taking *that* source to ffmpeg for the
    encoding parts.

I already tried taking a virtualdub *.vdr to open in ffmpeg, but it does not work.
    And that's the main problem with most of my time consuming tasks.

I think that there is a build for AVIsynth, (I don't have that build) but I'm mostly
    editing my avi's from inside virtualdub. And when I want to finally run test encodes
    using other avenues, such as ffmpeg or mencoder, etc. I have to create an actual
    avi file and then use that as the source.

In terms of reading other codec video sources..

And, so far, all the builds that I do have (of ffmpeg) will not read Lagarith encoded
    avi's, though it does read Huffy and XviD one's.

Last night, I was fooling around with h.264 (x264) encoded videos from inside ffmpeg,
    and I could have sworn, that in one of my ffmpeg builds, I was able to read the x264
    video encoded file and read and encode those into other video's. But, something
    must have happended, and it is not working any more with those x264 files.

What I did was take an avi source and encoded inside virtualdub into an x264 video.
    Then, I took that x264 encoded video avi file and (through my front-end tool) opened
    it and proceeded to encode it to another codec source -- but it failed. So, it worked,
    and it didn't -- I'm not sure, now.

Anyway. I wish there was a ffmpeg build (mencoder as well) that was built for handling
    all the current codecs (including VirtualDub/AVIsynth frameserved) today.

Q: is there such a build ??

Thank you,
    -vhelp 4369
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp
    Q: is there such a build ??
    No.

FFmpeg and Mencoder both take avisynth input.
    Been able to for over a year and over 2 years, respectively.
    Avisynth is the superior frameserver.
    You can use virtualdub filters within avisynth.

So the easiest thing to do is update to the latest ffmpeg and mencoder versions
    and use avisynth

You could probably use a virtualdub frameserve in a roundabout way,
    using a wrapper, or second frameserver or both.
    Framserving with vdub, wrapping the vdr with vfapi, and frameserving that with avisynth
    would work i think.
    But it's easier to just use avisynth and load vdub filters you can't do without.
    http://avisynth.org/oldwiki/index.php?page=Section+4%3A+Importing+filters+from+VirtualDub

And, so far, all the builds that I do have (of ffmpeg) will not read Lagarith encoded
    avi's, though it does read Huffy and XviD one's.
    It's possible, I guess, that someone will commit lagarith to libavcodec someday.
    Again,
    just use avisynth.

But, something
    must have happended, and it is not working any more with those x264 files.
    update,
    try again

gl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I have had success with frameserving VirtualDub .vdr's to AviSynth via AVSP (a nicer text front end for AviSynth) and then opened the .avs files in MeGUI for encoding to x264 MPEG-4 files. The ability to use both VirtualDub AND Avisynth filters resulted in superior quality. I have had to redo my system since then and haven't gotten around to re-installing everything yet, but I have been playing around with ffmpeg and WinFF, I will try this method with WinFF and post back if it works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ 45tripp and others

Actually, I have been using this route with AVIsynth already, when I couldn't find
    any resolution with virtualdub. And, to my boast, I found that I was satisfied with
    using it (suck'it up) when used in conjuction with the following functions

--> FadeIN( x )
    --> FadeOUT( x )

They really bring some sort of professionalism to your video projects with these two
    video tips. I like it. I like it for short demo clips and things. Really nice. Thanks to
    all those who put their Knowledge and Time into this Video Scripting Suite.

Still would be nice for (ffmpeg / mencoder) to accept .vdr frameserves, however

-vhelp 4372
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK,
    For the record Virtualdub frameserved to AVSP will produce a .avs file that WinFF 0.291 (an ffmpeg GUI) will open and convert. I converted an .flv file to H.264 with VirtualDub's MSU Smart Deblocking filter and a fade in/fade out from Avisynth and the resulting file encoded at 22-24fps and looked quite good considering the source.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mencoder does have some very good built in filters. The Yadif deinterlacer is one of the best. Plus, it has audio normalization capability. Might simplify the process quite a bit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ProCoder also won't open a .vdr file, however it will if the extension is .avi. Might be worth a try.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote