VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, hope someone can help me -

My friend picked me up a Sharp Notevision Projector the other day. I hooked it up with my computer and so far everything fine. I got it working and outputs video so great.

The specific one is - http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-projectors/sharp-notevision-pg-b10s/4505-7858_7-30555030.html

Ok so all is ok however I'm stuck on my actual PC display.

My Monitor is 22" and I view it at 1680x1050 res

Now when I want to watch project using the projector - I right click my desktop and go to Appearance

Then on displays I have 3 options -

Use single display screen
    Use clone
    Use display and other

Ok so, I have been doing use clone. So what you see on my PC comes out on the projector. But whenever I do that, automatically it ruins my resolution setting on my PC. Like on the projector the video that plays is fine using my WMP but my screen resolution changes from my default settings of 1680 to something else and it just annoys me.

When I set the display back to normal - single view mode it returns and is fine.

Ok I tried the 3rd option which is like Use display and other output.

When I do that, it projects my desktop on the projected area but whatever I do on my computer monitor...it doesn't show it on the projected screen. It just always remains on my desktop wallpaper projected onto the screen.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong here?

-

If it helps my computer set up is like - I have my 22" and that is connected to my computer via a white special type of cable that is apparently for sharper viewing. With the projected, I put in a normal cable from the projector going into the monitor socket on the back of the computer.

Hope that makes sense guys - I'm really stuck on this
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I run Vista too if that helps
    Quote Quote  
  3. You're not doing anything wrong. What you describe sounds correct.

If you clone the desktop, then both the desktop and the projector MUST use the same resolution. If the projector supported your prefered desktop resolution, you'd be fine.

The only way to keep the desktop resolution high and use the projector is the third option.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I figured that out using the third option but when I use the third option...

On the projected screen it just shows my Desktop screen - aka my desktop wallpaper and nothing else which is weird.

So I have windows open for example on my computer but it doesn't show that - it just shows the desktop wallpaper which I can't figure out why.

Can i make my projector support my resolution?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What video card or graphics card do you have?

Is it ATI or Nvidia or what? Also what is the model number?

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure model number - But I know its NVIDIA coz when I right click it says -

Nvidia control panel or settings or something...instead of desktop properties that I had before
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by um4r
    Ok so all is ok however I'm stuck on my actual PC display.

My Monitor is 22" and I view it at 1680x1050 res

Now when I want to watch project using the projector - I right click my desktop and go to Appearance

Then on displays I have 3 options -

Use single display screen
    Use clone
    Use display and other

Ok so, I have been doing use clone. So what you see on my PC comes out on the projector. But whenever I do that, automatically it ruins my resolution setting on my PC. Like on the projector the video that plays is fine using my WMP but my screen resolution changes from my default settings of 1680 to something else and it just annoys me.

When I set the display back to normal - single view mode it returns and is fine.

The Sharp Notevision PG-B10S projector was designed for budget conscience classroom and conference needs. A quick look at the basics shows it's SVGA (800 x 600 pixels), 1200 ANSI lumens, 35 dB audible noise, 350:1 contrast ratio, and 6 pounds (2.7 kg) making it light enough to travel.
    I think this is the reason why your computer switch resolution on your monitor. When it detected the projector, it auto adjusted to SVGA resolution (native to the projector).
    -
    If it helps my computer set up is like - I have my 22" and that is connected to my computer via a white special type of cable that is apparently for sharper viewing. With the projected, I put in a normal cable from the projector going into the monitor socket on the back of the computer.

Hope that makes sense guys - I'm really stuck on this
    It sound like you have DVI connection (white=digital) to your 22' and VGA connection (blue=analog) to your projector. Is this correct?
    Can your video card output to 2 monitors at the same time?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Webster - yes you are right...that is the one

My 22" Dell monitor is DVI connection

And the projector I have put in the blue VGA slot

Can my video card output to 2 at the same time? I am not sure, how would I figure that out?

Thanks man, you've hit the nail on the head here i think
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So I have windows open for example on my computer but it doesn't show that - it just shows the desktop wallpaper which I can't figure out why.
    Well, that's what it looks like if you have 2 monitors (or 1 monitor + 1 projector in your case). Until you drag a window over to your new display real estate, that is.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What mats said. I have a dual monitor setup, one is VGA and the other DVI. If I want to play a video on the second monitor, I drag the player over to that screen. You can set the second monitor to be above, below, left or right of your primary monitor.

Of course if you drag something over there, then shut off that monitor (Or projector, in your setup) you won't be able to see it to drag it back. Just in case you wonder where you player went.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm that makes sense - I never thought of that - but the weird thing is

I have a transformers wallpaper on my desktop at 1680x1050

So when the projector screen showed up...why was that wallpaper still showing if it isn't "applied" or "dragged" onto that screen?

I will try it shortly though as I'm on another computer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    do what mats and redwudz said.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by um4r
    Hmm that makes sense - I never thought of that - but the weird thing is

I have a transformers wallpaper on my desktop at 1680x1050

So when the projector screen showed up...why was that wallpaper still showing if it isn't "applied" or "dragged" onto that screen?

I will try it shortly though as I'm on another computer
    That's just the way Windows does it. When you extend the desktop onto a second display, the wallpaper on the first display is shown on the second one, too.

I have an nVidia 7600GS on Vista. The primary display (via analog VGA) is 1600 x 1200 and my secondary display is a TV monitor via S-video at 720 x 480. Both show the same wallpaper. Only the primary shows the Start menu, task bar and notification tray area.
    Quote Quote