VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone tried these? Any samples on how it looks after being printed on? Thanks. I'm trying to find them at a cheap price but no luck. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Rima.co has some of the cheapest prices you can find. You probably won't find them for much cheaper anywhere else.
    http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1763-100
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Those aren't the Watershield discs. But you are right about Rima's prices: http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1778-5...ory_Code=DMRTY
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    www.supermediastore.com The last time that I checked, watershield Taiyo Yudens were in the 75 cent range - about double the standard inkjet printable TYs. I still haven't tried them: I'm way too cheap to spend that much again - when I started, "cheap" media was under $2.

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-16x-dvd-r-media-water-shield-white-inkjet-h...x-spindle.html

I just bought a boatload of Verbatim (old 4X) inkjet printables off of meritline for 23 cents each shipped - had to spread them across several orders ($4 off + free shipping) - on a deal that I saw on slickdeals.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all. I did more searching, I found them at Meritline @ $66.00 per 50. I believe that's the cheapest I found so far. Will try them out. Never bought from them before, so hope all goes well. But thanks to you all.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could try from Gensys at http://www.genesysdtp.com/index.htm?taiyoyuden.htm
    around $33 for 50
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mn072065
    Thank you all. I did more searching, I found them at Meritline @ $66.00 per 50. I believe that's the cheapest I found so far. Will try them out. Never bought from them before, so hope all goes well. But thanks to you all.
    I hope that is a misprint and you actually mean 100 qty, not 50. Even so, they would still be cheaper through Rima at the link Gen-An provided below:

Originally Posted by Gen-An
    Those aren't the Watershield discs. But you are right about Rima's prices: http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_C ... Code=DMRTY
    Quote Quote  
  8. neato.com is where i get mine from. This months 20% code is gtqn. I usually come out a couple dollars cheaper them Rima. Rima is still my favorite but i save money when i can
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey ultraman36, Thanks. I will definitely buy some tomorrow. So far the cheapest. I just received my order thru Genesys DTP.com and paid $76.29 3 day delivery for 100 pk. Do you tink that the code will be good tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  10. These TY Water Shield DVD blanks are certainly not cheap; but for my money they're worth every penny. The glossy surface dries very quickly and makes the printed label look really beautiful.

I use the TY discs in an Epson R300 printer, with SureThing label design software. The result is a first-class, vivid, professional-looking label. No other disc surface that I have seen comes even close.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OldAmateur what settings do you have your epson set on. I have the epson R800 and while it prints @ photo quality, it smeared a bit. I guess I need to leave it dry for a day. The others I use dry instantly. Just curious on the setting you have it on. Thanks. I also use Surething.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Does the SureThing software work with Canon Pixma (original model, not modded)? I've tried a couple of other software before -- don't remember which ones -- but they don't recognize the Pixma tray so I can't center the image correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey ultraman36, Thanks. I will definitely buy some tomorrow. So far the cheapest. I just received my order thru Genesys DTP.com and paid $76.29 3 day delivery for 100 pk. Do you tink that the code will be good tomorrow.
    Just so you know in the future Genesys DTP is in Connecticut. I live in upstate NY and get my orders in 2-3 days using standard shipping
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    corwin102, no wonder I received it so fast. First time buying from them. No bad. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  15. mn072065: My settings on the Epson R300 are the Epson dirver's defaults for "Photo" with the CD/DVD setup. As I said, the printed discs are pretty much dry when they come out of the printer.

On some other media, I have found it useful to turn down the "saturation" control (on the "Advanced" page of the driver dialogue) a notch. That reduces the ink output, which speeds up the drying. Haven't needed it with the TY WaterShield discs, however.

Is it possible that your R800 is using the "glossy" coating ink? I would expect that to take some time to dry.
    Quote Quote  
  16. spiffy: I can tell you that the current version (5) of SureThing has templates for Canon Pixma printers. I don't have a Canon printer, so I can't tell you how well it works; but my experience with SureThing has always been positive. It is mature software, with first-class technical support.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by OldAmateur
    spiffy: I can tell you that the current version (5) of SureThing has templates for Canon Pixma printers. I don't have a Canon printer, so I can't tell you how well it works; but my experience with SureThing has always been positive. It is mature software, with first-class technical support.
    Can I buy the software from a brick-n-mortar store? I guess I have to try it to find out. The Pixma does a good job; but there's a slight sizing issue with their own software and TY discs. I haven't used the watershield kind yet; but I imagine the same issue would still be present as with TY's regular printable discs.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by spiffy
    Can I buy the software from a brick-n-mortar store? I guess I have to try it to find out. The Pixma does a good job; but there's a slight sizing issue with their own software and TY discs. I haven't used the watershield kind yet; but I imagine the same issue would still be present as with TY's regular printable discs.
    CompUSA and Best Buy show SureThing available in some of their stores. Look on their web sites for availability in your area.

You can download a 15-day trial copy from the SureThing web site:
    http://www.surething.com/ST/Category.asp?CatCode=DOWNLOADS

Any software will have sizing issues with direct-to-disc printing, because the size of the printable area on the media varies from brand to brand and from lot to lot.

The ST "Page Setup" allows you to fine tune the size (both inner and outer diameter) and position of the printed output. It's a bit fiddly, because any change in the outer diameter of the label requires a change in the "top" and "left" offsets to keep the label centered properly on the disk, and you have to do some of the arithmetic yourself. With practice and patience, you can get it as precisely as your printer will allow, and you can save your own template.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, I'm so disappointed. I have printed 10 of these DVD-r's using my Epson r800 printer in 2 different settings. One using photo option and the other best photo. After a couple of days of not being touched, i touched and being in a spindle, i noticed that the pain on some of them are smeared. Then I pass my finger on them, i get some of the paint on me. Am i using a wrong setting. I too use Surething software to print my covers. Really disappointed. Anyone have the same problem? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using good ink?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    absolutely, i only use genuine epson ink. perhaps is something in my settings? any recommendations. Thanks lordsmurf to even answer. I consider you one of the top dogs in this forum, so I appreciate your response.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After a couple of days of not being touched, i touched and...noticed that the pain on some of them are smeared. Then I pass my finger on them, i get some of the paint on me.
    Are you certain that you received WaterShield discs? I have literally held the disc under running water while rubbing the ink with my fingers, but still no smear (and no, I don't know why anyone would do that in real world use 8) ) Granted, I am not using an Epson (I'm using a Bravo Pro.)
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jlietz
    After a couple of days of not being touched, i touched and...noticed that the pain on some of them are smeared. Then I pass my finger on them, i get some of the paint on me.
    Are you certain that you received WaterShield discs? I have literally held the disc under running water while rubbing the ink with my fingers, but still no smear (and no, I don't know why anyone would do that in real world use 8) ) Granted, I am not using an Epson (I'm using a Bravo Pro.)
    I bought them from two places, Rima & Gensys. I held one disc under water, no problem, but when I pass my finger, it smeared. But then I though I didn't let it dry long enough. These have been in the spindle as least one week and again when I pass my finger thru them, it rubs off a bit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    mn072065 wrote: " Hey ultraman36, Thanks. I will definitely buy some tomorrow. So far the cheapest. I just received my order thru Genesys DTP.com and paid $76.29 3 day delivery for 100 pk. Do you tink that the code will be good tomorrow."

Funny thing - supermediastore was $74.99 with free shipping this morning. Have they dropped their price?

I always look for the free shipping deal at supermediastore.

Anyway, media is soooo variable on price (and quality if you don't watch it), that you have to shop and grab it while you can.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm doing an experiment right now. I chose text settings to see if it dries faster and it doesn't smear. It just printed, i will update again. Hope it works.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update - still wet. I guess I need to wait at least 1 hour. But with other TY matte finish, instant dry. Again so far I'm dissapointed.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For whatever reason, your printer is delivering too much ink. Did you set the printer to glossy? Also, you should select the highest resolution. I have an Epson R300 also and I have no problem with Watershield media.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SCDVD
    For whatever reason, your printer is delivering too much ink. Did you set the printer to glossy? Also, you should select the highest resolution. I have an Epson R300 also and I have no problem with Watershield media.
    Ok where do i change settings. When I choose cd/dvd printer, it has Optimize for Quality, right now options for draft settings, which is the lowest.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will provide a more detailed answer this evening after I get home and look at the actual printer settings but in more general terms, you want to select the best quality setting as well as select CD premium surface.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for trying. My first one was set to cd premium and that smears. Please anyone else. I want to get this resolved. Any Epson r800 owners out there.
    Quote Quote