VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Primera offers both Aquaguard and Watershield media. At the least their watershield is licensed from TY, at the most it may just be rebranded TY (I don't think this is the case though, as they advertise it as 'TuffCoat', I don't know if tuffcoat is anything different than the industry standard, or if it's just marketing jargon.) Either way, TY media should work just as well (as far as printing goes) as their own Watershield.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Supposedly Aquaguard is CMC...

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic325428.html?highlight=aquaguard

Which is too bad, because Watershield is glossy, Aquaguard is matte; and sometimes I may want the finish to be matte instead...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just starting using the TY Water Shield DVDs. The print quality using my Epson R220 is amazing. I use snapshots of the footage on my labels and they come out photo quality, plus the gloss surface makes it look commerically silkscreened (and maybe even better). I use generic G&G inks with perfect results and the Epson labeling software with 'premium surface CD/DVD' media setting. I use custom color/brightness setting, though these settings are needed to print any photo (wasted a bit of ink and photo paper to get it right). No going back for me.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by TheFamilyMan
    I just starting using the TY Water Shield DVDs. The print quality using my Epson R220 is amazing. I use snapshots of the footage on my labels and they come out photo quality, plus the gloss surface makes it look commerically silkscreened (and maybe even better). I use generic G&G inks with perfect results and the Epson labeling software with 'premium surface CD/DVD' media setting. I use custom color/brightness setting, though these settings are needed to print any photo (wasted a bit of ink and photo paper to get it right). No going back for me.
    TheFamilyMan, do you mind sharing your tips on how you convert the snapshots of footages and use them for labels? I tried doing that in the past, but my snapshots always had a lot of dithering problems...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by spiffy
    do you mind sharing your tips on how you convert the snapshots of footages and use them for labels? I tried doing that in the past, but my snapshots always had a lot of dithering problems...
    To take a snapshot, I play my footage in a software DVD player app, my current favorite is PowerDVD, and use its snapshot feature. What's nice about PowerDVD is that its snapshot can be set to keep the 3x4 aspect for the created file, I've tried others that use the video resolution as the pixel resolution, which ain't the same. If necessary I'll photoshop the snapshot. From there I simply use it with my label making software, no special tricks required. I hope that the dithering you had were probably interlace artifacts; fortunately software DVD players do a great job in getting rid of the interlace when you use them for taking snapshots. Other than that I'd suspect your labeling/printing software isn't up to the task. Good Luck!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TheFamilyMan, are the discs dry. I Love them too, but some not all, they get easily marked with finger prints because they are still just a small bit wet. Tiny bit, but enough to notice if you run your fingers thru them I use Epson r800 printer. Perhaps r220 is different. I use Surething label software, which i personally think it's the best.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No problem with ink smearing here. I did my best to blot and smear a printed disk with no effect, except the shiny surface got marred from the abuse. I even washed it with dish soap under running water and still no smears. All shiny surfaces will show some fingerprints so I don't consider it a problem. I treat these and even my matte printed disks as I would any printed photo: avoid touching the printed surface.
    Quote Quote