VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just tied another one. Again it smears. Not alot, but still does, I left if 1/2 hour alone, untouched. I changed settings to draft print.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I use the saturation settings, do I go lower or higher? Thanks again anybody.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I read somewhere that I can change the saturation settings. Which way do I go, lower or higher. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mn072065
    I read somewhere that I can change the saturation settings. Which way do I go, lower or higher. Thanks again.

mn072065,
    I've been using these blank DVDs for several months without any issue, but mine is R300. The print dried instantly and all prints look very professional. I think it's either your printer is not working properly or you have a bad batch of the blanks. Do you have a friend who's got a CD/DVD printer? If you know someone who has it, try to print your blank from his/her printer.

vcdlover
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go lower on saturation. There is a strong possibility that the problem you are having is between the keyboard and the chair.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok i will open a new batch and try them now. Thanks

After I will lower the saturation and try that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok here are the results. I tried new batch, i used low saturation, optimized as photo. Results are It still smears but a tiny smear. If i pass my thumb over it, i get a small residual of black ink. a smudge. But nevertheless a smudge. I guess thats the best I can do. Unless other suggestions for Epson r800 printer.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone please.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good Morning to all, just wanted to see if anyone can still help me. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I don't own a R800; but could it be the fact that R800 uses a high-gloss ink that is not compatible with the Watershield surface? I read a long time ago that those high-gloss ink is a pigment ink rather than water-based like most inkjet inks. So maybe it's just sitting on the surface of the DVD label and the ink is not being absorbed? If it's not "sinking" into the label, it doesn't matter how little ink you specify, you're still going to smear... Just a guess.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I've been reading this forum with interest. I use the Taiyo Yuden Watershield discs in an R800 printer, but I use the Epson Print CD software that came with the printer. I set the media type to CD/DVD Premium Surface and the Print Color Correction to +1. The results are superb, a high gloss beautifully dense image with no smearing, that appears to be completely dry the moment it comes out of the printer. I believe the nano technology applied to the surface is responsible for this. My clients are ecstatic with the results. Nothing else I have tried even comes remotely close. If you want the best possible product, this is the way to go. Yes, it does cost a little more but it's well worth it.
    Blessings, John, W3JR
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Exousia, i will try that. I'm installing the cd software now since I have only been using Surething. Will try. Thanks. I hope it works.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, if I use Surething, where can I change that setting. I dont like using the Epson Print CD software, i think it really sucks. Appreciate any help.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm not quite sure why you say it really sucks. Perhaps you have not fully explored its capabilities. Certainly SureThing does some things the Epson software does not do, but it does work very reliably and accurately. I never have a bad print and I have printed literally 100s of discs in my business.

Usually we create our own backgrounds using Photoshop or similar software, then customize the text and other graphics on the design, right in Epson Print CD. We've never had a problem, registration is always perfect and the end result is equal in every way to commercially printed discs.

Having said all that, I recognize that different people like different software and that's just fine. You need to use what works best for you. I don't know if there's a similar setting in SureThing equal to the CD/DVD Media Type setting in Epson Print CD.

I wish you every success in your endeavors.
    Blessings, John, W3JR
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Exousia for the response. Could you please then tell me the setting to change to print full face dvd's. That inner hole settings please. This way I can try it. My problem is I did not want to waste a costly dvd when the printing setting might not be correct. Thanks again. Can you tell me in easy terms how exactly you print.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Sure - no problem! When you are looking at the main screen, there is a vertical list of icons on the left side. The second one up lets you precisely adjust the inner and outer diameters. If you set the inner diameter to 23 and the outer to 117 you should be just fine. Let me know if you need any more help.
    Blessings, John, W3JR
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks trying it now. Your settings. With Print Color Correction to +1 @ CD/DVD Premium Surface. Will let you know in a bit.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok i tried those settings. It's not instant drying. Perhaps I'm too picky. They are all dry but again if I pass my finger slightly thru them, i get some ink on me. Not alot, but some. I guess it has to be these ink cartridges. Also I tried that Premium Surface print, which is the highest print, which means according to Epson I need to dry for 24 hours. Thanks again for trying to help.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Well . . . I don't know what to tell you. I use good quality ink - although I will confess it is from an aftermarket supplier and not original Epson ink. I do handle the discs carefully and have never had a problem. I know Epson says let them dry for 24 hours. Maybe in your case that's what you need to do. Otherwise, are you satisfied with the appearance? I found that solid colors reproduce well but when I use good quality photographic images they are superb.
    Blessings, John, W3JR
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I have no problem with quality. I have done so far 25 movies with these Taiyo Yuden. Love the way they look. Perhaps its just me. So you think the best way to print is using Premium surface? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  21. Those settings work best for me. You can experiment with variations but in my experience they produce the best results. Do explore the other features of that software by clicking the icons and seeing what else is possible. I have always told my staff that we aim for excellence, not perfection! Enjoy what you do!
    Blessings, John, W3JR
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just got a sample of the Ty WaterShield from Rima but I seem to be having trouble also getting it to print. After printing on the disc the image is very faint and I can tell the disc is not absorbing the ink as I can wipe it all off, it's as if the surface is too slick and the ink is bouncing off. I'm using a Canon ip5000 (import) along with their CD Label Print software version 1.0.2 but I'm not using Canon OEM carts but rather third party G&G. As I constantly print on my regular Ty White Inkjet Hub Printables without any problems do you think it may have something to do with the G&G carts not being compatible with the WaterShields?

Anyone else tried these disc with a Canon printer using their software with and without their OEM carts?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Too bad you can't have scratchproof undercoating + watershield. I could care less about the label, if the DVD data layer still can get scratched. Why no one makes both on a disc? It's either, or...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wile_E
    Too bad you can't have scratchproof undercoating + watershield. I could care less about the label, if the DVD data layer still can get scratched. Why no one makes both on a disc? It's either, or...
    Your concern would be valid for CDR media but not DVD. DVD media is a sandwich of two thinner discs that are sandwiched together. The reflective layer is in the middle and is well protected. Not so with CDR media. The reflective layer is on top and is protected only by the lacquer on top of the disc, which isn't much protection.

EDIT: Disregard if you are referring to the antiscratch finish on the bottom of the disc. I am referring to the reflective layer.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an Epson R800 and the Ty water shield - I also use SureThing to make my disc... I have found that the black ink seems to be the problem. I set my media type to be glossy photo paper instead of CD/DVD and that seems to have fixed my promblem. I would like to figure why I need to do that - I printed a dosc that was solid black with a yellow flower, I let it dry for an hour or so then ran it under the water - the black ink washed away and the yellow flower stuck and looked great. After I changed my media type to glossy photo parer the black ink stuck, even under running water.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Does anyone have the measurement of the printable surface? Is it the same as the regular printable TY?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by brownerd
    I have an Epson R800 and the Ty water shield - I also use SureThing to make my disc... I have found that the black ink seems to be the problem. I set my media type to be glossy photo paper instead of CD/DVD and that seems to have fixed my promblem. I would like to figure why I need to do that - I printed a dosc that was solid black with a yellow flower, I let it dry for an hour or so then ran it under the water - the black ink washed away and the yellow flower stuck and looked great. After I changed my media type to glossy photo parer the black ink stuck, even under running water.
    Doesn't the R800 have two types of black ink (matte and glossy?) Maybe glossy paper uses one type and CD/DVD uses the other type.

I'm interested in this thread because I'm trying to decide between going cheap and getting an R260 just for DVD's and occasional printing or getting an R800 for DVD's as well as photo printing.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Video Forum,

I have been following this thread with interest as well. We currently have a Primera Bravo 2 printer (is 2+ years old) and have been printing on standard matte white ink-jet printable labels. I am very unhappy with the results and thus have just started reading online about different printers, label options, etc. On our last project - I pushed that we send out for thermal printed labels... and the results were Beautiful. But ultimately, I want our in-house quality to be as nice as can be... but cost is a factor.

Do any members here have any comments concerning the Primera Bravo 2? Do you think we should try testing these Glossy/Waterproof higher quality DVDs as a start? From what I am reading, if we were to invest in a different printer strictly for printing Disk Labels, we would be requiring a printer that doesn't require being hand-fed 'one-at-a-time'.

I welcome your advice and opinions. Thanks!

Kathy
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It can't hurt to try the DVD's. I'm sure the print engine in that duplicator is up to the task, inkjets are so amazing these days. It's the media that really makes the difference.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    skrubol...

Thanks. I agree with your logic... it seems to me that we ought certainly start with the media options. I know that my desktop inkjet printer turns out a nicer quality image on a custom quality sheet. Yep. I have read that Primera makes its own custom glossy DVDs... but it seems everyone here is raving about the Taiyo Yuden. So- we will just have to give it a try.
    Quote Quote