VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm missing something. YouTube says to prepare videos as follows:

30fps
    320 x 240
    MPEG-4

VideoStudio only allows MPEG-2 or MPEG-1. Other than that, I'm doing what they say. Yet a 3:45 minute video is about 88Mb - way too big for YouTube. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks,
    Mark.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/guides/dvd/upload-video-to-YouTube.htm

Upon first run it will open ie , and show site listing ability to purchase updated product ... ignore that , it only happens one time .

And away you go .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the link, Bjs. I have a some questions about it.

First, have you used it yourself?
    Second, if your video is already in YouTube format (FLV, 320x240, and whatever the audio is supposed to be), is this YouTube Uploader still going to reencode it?
    Third, I understand that whatever format you upload to YouTube, that it will still be reencoded. So, are the YouTube people going to reencode it yet again?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I personally encode to .FLV BEFORE I upload to YouTube....with FLV Encoder. I have a set method but I don't have a set bitrate, formula, etc etc because I don't think there is a best method....personally. The end results once the video goes live on YouTube are just too hit or miss.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your replies and the link. I found what I believe to be a good freeware encoder which reduced my 88Mb MPEG to less than 10Mb FLV. It's called Riva FLV Encoder 2.0. I re-uploaded a previous file and the quality is significantly better. I've probably seen better on YouTube, but the footage was taken in a dull room.

Ignore the content, just a mate & I having a bit of fun, but here it is: http://youtube.com/watch?v=NI__p-6WigE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    manono , yes , I used it , otherwise I would not have mentioned it .

Ie , I download it ... my pc gose nutts ... its my prob to sort out ... and not recommend it ever .

Seems to do the job .

----

Ok , I see ... do you mean if its already in correct format , will the tool do one of two things .

A: Reconvert
    B: Just upload the sod

Its B , when I selected a flv (created using another program) .

Oh you mean I have to go get an account ... dont you ... lol

Finished : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMlnkI-sZPI ... in a few moments , just a small pre clip warning of whats to come .

----

I read the question and went on a search , and also came across videoraxbox360converter , just out of curiosity ... now that I have one of those fang dangle things ... and yes , I have been recording gears of wars to my pc .

But I get killed way to soon ... lol

Now that is all set , I'll have to do some xbox360 caps ...

PS : At the end it gives the file link and the info you stick into your own web page ... nice and easy .

====

As for markannab's report on Riva FLV Encoder , I reported an issue with winnt 2000 pro , where it seemed to lockup and do nothing when it came to encoding a while back ... still not sorted
    Quote Quote  
  7. A: Reconvert
    B: Just upload the sod

Its B , when I selected a flv (created using another program) .

Oh you mean I have to go get an account ... dont you ... lol
    Hehe, no, you had it right the first time. I wasn't asking about accounts, but if this YouTube Uploader will reencode an FLV before sending it along to YouTube. You said no, which answers that question.

I'm still curious as to whether or not the YouTube people will reencode it after they get their grubby paws on it. They do, don't they? I just hate for those people to mess up something I encoded nicely. I have yet to see a decent video at that place. I mean, 320x240 is pretty low, but I can create much nicer looking 320x240 videos than I've seen on that site.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well , if thats what they do in there spare time , then there's not going to be much one can do about it .

But have a look at this : http://www.mariposahd.tv/critique_of_youtube_upload_process

It'll give some better idea's .

Or go to something like divxshare like I initially done : http://www.divshare.com/download/1321842-8da
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using Riva FLV Encoder, I created a video that was clean & crisp for a 320 x 240. Default setting was a bitrate of 360, so I left it at that. The file size was around 9Mb. But once uploaded, it had deteriorated dramatically.

As a test, I re-did it the same, only with a higher resolution (480 x something). I froze both videos at the same point & tabbed back & forth. The higher resolution one had deteriorated far more. A microphone cable on the floor was visible on the 320 but almost gone on the 480.

What I don't understand is that occasionally, there's a video on YouTube that is very clear. How do THEY do it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You shouldn't have converted it to flv before uploading it to youtube.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by markannab
    What I don't understand is that occasionally, there's a video on YouTube that is very clear. How do THEY do it?
    Like I said before....there is no set formula for good or great looking youtube vids. I have 110 videos on YouTube....none of them are spectacular...and I've found no tried and true method to making good or great vids.
    There is even a video on youtube on how to make good looking vids....with Windows Media Encoder...I tried it and it looked no better than my other 109 vids.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    You shouldn't have converted it to flv before uploading it to youtube.
    What's the secret then, Soopafresh? Make a higher-rez good quality XviD and let them reencode it? The better the initial quality, the better the finished FLV? There's a thread about this somewhere around here, isn't there? Maybe I had better go track it down.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I thought the size was 100mb for youtube?
    LITEON man!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone.

I've been trying my hand at this YouTube crave n all. After a little over an
    hour, I was finally able to create an account, and then upload my very first
    vhelp sample flv clips, hehe

There's a lot theories about the Bitrate and Re-encoding of (source) video's
    to FLV video onto YouTube, and I'd like to take a crack at determining if this
    is true or not. read on..

Now, I was not sure of a few things, so I took it upon myself to upload a
    short video clip in an effort to validate for myself weather it is true that
    YouTube re-encodes the uploaded video's.

YouTube Video:

Video Source: Laserdisc
    Movie/Film: Blade Runner
    Capture Card: Winfast TV2000XP Expert
    Source Video: XviD
    Video: FLV format
    Length: 13 seconds

Description:
    After capturing the laserdisc, I encoded it to XviD. I performed this step
    some weeks ago. I just happen to have it laying around on my HDD. I then
    took it to use as an example demo for encoding to FLV format, using a bitrate
    setting of 1000, and then uploaded to YouTube, to my youtube account I just
    opened, today.

XviD-- was encoded with the RivaFLVencoder tool, to FLV format, with
    1000 bitrate setting. The original source was YUY2 -> MPEG-2 based, and then
    XviD. Later, converted to FLV, and finally, uploaded to YouTube FLV format.
    Is it re-encoded or not, that is the question going around here.

Comments:
    On my AMD XP 1800+ computer, the FLV video (blade runner youtube demo)
    seems to play a little studdery. The player that I'm using is the one that
    came with the RivaFLVencoder tool. Maybe this is the cause of the studder.
    However, on my upgraded XP Home computer, the video plays, smoothly.

As far as quality goes, for FLV and uploaded to youtube, I'm surpised to see
    that it is (still kept) in good quality for the format and size. I haven't quite
    determined if it did in fact re-encoded it. I have to analize the youtube video
    and my actual FLV video still on my HDD. The problem with this route is that
    AVIsynth (the only tool via directshowsource()) failed to open FLV files. So,
    I can't analize either of *any* flv files until I can figure out how to open them
    inside AVIsynth.

If anyone of you cridicting flv youtube videos want to cridict this one, feel
    free to do so. It was my first, so be nice to me

Q: can I D/L my own uploaded youtube video's (so that I can analze them) ??

-vhelp 4360
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yea use keepvid.com to download the youtube vids. To open in avisynth I use directshowsource. FFDshow to decode. And you need flvsplitter to be copied into your system32 directory and installed.

I've done some analyzing of youtube vids and here is a thread of what I came up with:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic332210.html#1727426
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    haha.. I was just reading it, now.

I'm still confused about extracting mine-own videos from youtube,
    and avisynth. Can you explain how to setup avisynth, please.

Tanx!

-vhelp 4361
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    manono said

What's the secret then, Soopafresh? Make a higher-rez good quality XviD and let them reencode it? The better the initial quality, the better the finished FLV? There's a thread about this somewhere around here, isn't there? Maybe I had better go track it down.

What is the secret indeed...I can think of a few things worth testing:

1) Add grain to the pre-encoded AVI to make the flv encoder allocate more bitrate. Avisynth plugins Addgrain, BergfilterCollection, and Blockbuster can do this.

2) Pre-Downmix the audio to normalized mono wav. They're going to do it anyway before making it a 64k mp3, you might as well be in control of the sound. I think a lot of the sync problems on youtube are due to the source files having vbr mp3.

3) Smoothen only the dark areas of the picture. The theory here is that youtube's crappy flv encoder will allocate more bitrate to the lighter, more detailed parts of the image - the part to which the human eye is more sensitive . Kind of the opposite of idea #1. The VirtualDub plugin ShadowSmoother can do this.

4) Make the pre-encoded AVI mod16 in dimension. That'll give the flv encoder no excuse based on the block size to create macroblocks.

5) Add motion blur to the moving scenes ? This might be interesting. After all, it's almost always movement that starts the macro blocks going.

6) Make the source file 480x352, XVID or DIVX at as high quality as you can go. Remember to add the size of the mono WAV or cbr mp3 file you'll be muxing into the equation.

Anyway, these are all un-tested. I'll bet the only thing that matters is bit rate.

I'm going to look around for youtube vids that are especially good or bad looking. There must be characteristics that make them good or bad looking. Maybe we can post some more examples:

Bad (technical problems)

Here's what looks like HDV 16x9 letterboxed, but they didn't deinterlace it before handing it off to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLcho1Ho6b4

Very Good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDgd3jLU6Us

Here's an analysis of a file with many macroblocks. Note the mod2 dimensions

And here's a file with almost no video uglies and mod16 dimensions

Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp
    I'm still confused about extracting mine-own videos from youtube,
    and avisynth. Can you explain how to setup avisynth, please.

Tanx!

-vhelp 4361
    For the downloading.....you copy the url of the youtube vid and paste it to keepvid.com. Then you can download it.

For avisynth, you need ffdshow to decode. The flvsplitter I have is an old one and the initial instructions I followed said to put it into the system32 folder.

Edit: Sorry not through command prompt(had a few too much last nite). You go to start --> run then type in
    Code:
    regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\flvsplitter.ax
    click OK.

Then through directshowsource you can open flv files.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    Here's an analysis of a file with many macroblocks. Note the mod2 dimensions
    Youtube does recommend to submit a video with a 320x240 resolution. Resizing shouldn't be a problem as any resizer(even youtube's) shouldn't do anything to the source video's initial resolution as long as it is 320x240. It is when re-encoding is the problem. Resizing is taken out of the equation at this point.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It has been an interesting weekend.. with FLV video and youTube, etc. Anyway.

I spent most of today trying to get flv and avisynth to work, and finally got
    it going and I can now analize the videos.

I also spend most of the this afternoon debugging the flv videos I would
    encode with the RivaFLVencoder tool. It would not work under WIN98,
    and it would hang. This caused me tons of frustrations. Anyway. later
    on, I found a way to encode to FLV format through ffmpeg.

For those curious, I use the following cmd-line param script:

--> ffmpeg.exe -i d:\sitc.huffy.v1.avi -ar 22050 -ab 64 -f flv -s 320x240 -r 29.970 -b 1000k -y sitc.v1.flv

For what its worth mentioning here, debugging cmd-line param scripts can be
    a tedius chore. I wish there was an easier way, and in fact, I'm working on
    just a thing -- for another topic, perhaps. Anyways. The above should work
    fine for most endoing to FLV videos through ffmpeg inside a dos console box
    (window) using a .bat script. Save the above using notepad as flv.bat or
    call it what you want. Then open a dos (console) window and type in:

--> d:\flv.bat

..which will run the ffmpeg conversion to an flv video.

About the "flv.bat" script-- it is as basic as can be. I don't know if it can be any
    optimized than it already (seemingly) is. Maybe there is a way to tune it up some.
    But working with param scripts is a chore. Between repetitive manuvering around
    the destop and opening Players (WMP or Riva or vdub via avisynth plugin) and
    various Editors (vdub) during debugging is a lot of work. I hope to fix that in
    the distant future.

About the param values-- Briefly, here is what they intail:
    -i ---- is the Input file source ie, an Huffy or Lagarith video
    -ar -- is the Audio sample rate ie, 11050, 22050, 44144, and 48000
    -ab -- is the Audio Bitrate ie, 64Kbits, 128Kbits, 384Kbtis, etc.
    -f ---- is the Force Format ie, force it to FLV or MPEG, DivX etc.
    -s ---- is the Resolution setup ie, 320x240, 352x480, 640x480, 720x480 etc.
    -r ---- is the Frame Rate or fps of the finished video, ie 24, 25, 29.970 etc.
    -y ---- is the overwrite to overwrite the [y/n] and just writes the source out
    -b ---- is the Bitrate you want to set the flv video to ie, 360k, 1000k etc.

About the flv encodes-- I have noticed that even when you set the fps
    [-r] to 29.970 fps, when you open the finished encoded flv inside vdub via AVIsynth
    plugin and script, or open through outher flv player who feature an info option,
    the report seems to always point to 25 fps. I don't know if this is a bug or some
    of ther param that is missing in the encoding setup.

Analizing FLV video through directshow-- can be easily done with the
    proper D/L files and installations. AVIsynth is the prefered method of choice.
    The script goe's like this, typed in notepad and saved as flv.avs, and then imported
    into your video editor, below.

x = "d:\sitc.v1.flv"
    DirectShowSource( x )

If you video does not open in your editor, it might be on account of the audio.
    You can turn off audio using the revised .bat script, below:

x = "d:\sitc.v1.flv"
    DirectShowSource( x, audio=no )

From here, you should be able to now analize your videos, should you choose to
    do so.

That's about it, for the moment.

From the Video Worksation of,
    -vhelp 4364
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    soopafresh
    what are you using to analyze?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    45tripp -

http://fsinapsi.altervista.org/code/avinaptic/avinaptic-20070410-full.zip
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expounding on vhelp's great idea, here's a batch file which will process a folder of, AVIs, MPGs, WMVs, and MOV files, converting them all to Youtube quality .flv files for previewing. At least you'll know what to expect before the hassle of uploading and disappointment....

Needs a recent copy of Mencoder

Right Click to download

youtube_emulate.cmd

Example of Output -

norway.flv
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Evening everyone.

I'm having some trouble with the flvplayer v1.3.3 tool. It does not want to work inside
    WIN98 at all. It keeps crashing withthe following message (below), maybe you know
    something ??

(!) The \windows\temp\RARSFX0\FLVPLAYER.EXE file appears to be corrupt.
    Reinstall the file, and then try again.

But, the file is fine. Just as a test, I re-copied it to my other computer (XP Home) and
    in another folder, and this same file plays perfectly fine. It seems that every time I run
    flvplayer.exe, it creates a temporary directory (with the three files, below) and then
    deletes them after the error message is removed.

The \TEMP\ folder (above) has the following files:

1 - [NSIS].nsi -------- 1kb ------ 4/3/07
    2 - flvplayer.exe ------ 1,454kb -- 2/17/06
    3 - flvplayer_102.ico -- 25kb ----- 4/3/07

I really like this player because its pretty compact and features: 1x and 2x size, and
    includes the info options so that I can get a quick glance at *any* files specs.

(I'd use a cmd-line tool to retreave audio/video info but I don't know of any
    that are around or do this -- I like cmd-line stuff, cause you can add them into
    specialized tools of your design)

Anyway, I like using the player above because you can simply drag a file into it and
    it will play immediately. It's not fancy or resource-hungry, so I basically use this in
    my everyday flv 'ing around, unless something better comes along.

On the other hand, and fwiw, in one of my ffmpeg .bat scripts, I include the ffplay
    (a cmd-line player.. opens a GUI window to play your video -- pretty bare bones
    and tiny, and just about right for the job -- debugging flv encodes and stuff right
    away after encodes)

-vhelp 4365
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How about 320x240 @ the max 100mb?
    That woman's face looks kinda long up there ^
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How about 320x240 @ the max 100mb?
    That woman's face looks kinda long up there ^
    if I had DSL or higher, I would be doing a log of uplading, I guess. But on my
    dial-up, no way. I have to be very selective at this point in time, until I can
    find something for $15 bucks in DSL. Anyway.

That face is Sarah Jessica Parker, from the tv show, SaTc. on ch CW, usually
    on at 11:00pm, every night.

** I was experimenting on cropping technique for improving flv quality -- every
    ** little bit counts.. (720 / 2) = 360 - 320 = (40/2) = crop 20/20 Lf/Rt gives a
    ** sharper picture, imo.

I was messing around with encoding the opening theme portions and a few cuts
    from captures of nice scenary that I was trying to select for my next upload to
    youTube. Anyway. She was talking to her friend, Maranda, at the park, and..

If you are refering to the youTube demo pic further up above, it is from youtube's
    default 2x or 1/2x enlargement. The size seem to be actually 447 x 337 px. But
    you can click the 2nd button from the farther right side, again to get the orig
    320 x 240, and click again, back to 447 x 337 px.

-vhelp 4367
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use MPEG-1 with good results
    usually 352x240 with 3 million bits works for me

http://www.youtube.com/dcortex

check it out these are my videos
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use MPEG-1 with good results
    usually 352x240 with 3 million bits works for me

http://www.youtube.com/dcortex
    I thought you can only use FLV video format. Your video looks the usual size
    of youTube videos. Unless, you ment that you encode your videos to mpeg1
    @ 3000kbts and then let youtube do the rest !

Obviously, I'm still a newbie to youtube.. but, its actually been quite interesting.
    And I've been comming up with all sorts of ideas for throwing videos on my page.
    All I need now, is a faster connection, otherwise I won't be uploading much, if
    any.

Oh yea.., question.. how do you stop a youtbue page from d/l 'ing when you
    don't want it to continue anymore -- without resorting to closing the page ??

-vhelp 4368
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    how do you stop a youtbue page from d/l 'ing when you
    don't want it to continue anymore?

PAUSE?

Yeah I let em re-encode..
    I see yours look very sharp, but , like you say my reencodes don't suffer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ** I was experimenting on cropping technique for improving flv quality -- every
    ** little bit counts.. (720 / 2) = 360 - 320 = (40/2) = crop 20/20 Lf/Rt gives a
    ** sharper picture, imo.

Good stuff, Vhelp

Oh yea.., question.. how do you stop a youtbue page from d/l 'ing when you
    don't want it to continue anymore -- without resorting to closing the page ??

I don't think there is a way without closing the tab
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a brilliant app. Make sure you change the settings to XVID for the best quality.

Http://www.vdownloader.es
    Quote Quote