VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi,
    Well ..my trusy Yamada 6500x DVD Player finally stopped worked last month,after about 18 months.
    No prob I thought,just contact Yamada tech support replace PSU or get it repaired.
    Err.....NO. Apparently ,they dont carry any spare parts !!! Less than 2 years old ,and now its just a tin box ready to contribute to my Co2 emissions!! What a waste.

So is it these companies policy NOT to repair or recycle their products,and just make more money,(it was made in China),what do you expect?
    Im sure, i maybe wrong,do they have to keep replacement parts for a certain length of time?

So,if you have one of these or are think about purchasing any of their products ,think carefully...if it goes wrong after a year ,YOUR stuffed!

floydy
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    18 months for an 18 dollar player....doesn't sound too bad...
    Here in Germany we recycle EVERYTHING. All electronics have a special place at the garbage/recycling facility and a truck comes around every 3 weeks to take the smaller stuff(like your player)...you just can't throw a TV in there...that you take yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    All electronics are cheaply made these days. DVD player manufacturers use cheaper and cheaper components, which don't last as long. Also, the move towards incredibly thin players, which consumers want, means there is no room for a fan, so players often "run hot" and burn out early as a result. With any new DVD player, always place it in a space with excellent ventilation or be prepared to replace it soon. I paid almost $300 US for a mobile phone 3 years ago and I had to replace it recently. I would really prefer something I paid $300 for to last longer, but the phone just basically stopped working. We are living in the age of disposable electronics.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you really want to keep it, you should be able to find a decent elctronic repair store that is capable of fixing it. But the parts and labor to repair will most likely end up being more than the replacement cost for a new player.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi again,
    After speaking to someone from the UK's Consumer Assc. , Ive been informed that under UK law any electrical item bought is deemed to have a working life of approx 6 years, so under those conditions I should be able to get a replacement or offered a repair free.
    he said he would send me a letter to take to the shop explaining this to them ,and all i would have to do was to fill in my details of the product i bought.

Now,this sounds to good to be true, so ,once the letter arrives and i take it to the shop and report back with the outcome.

next time i gonna buy a decent DVD player ,instead one one made by some Chinese tin box manufactor
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Quite a few brand name recorders are also made in China.....that (Chinese tin box manufactor) may bite you in the ass one day...
    Quote Quote  
  7. My guess is that when you take that letter to the shop they will find that part and that parts and labor will exhorbitant and have to come from China.

OT You are worried about CO2 emissions? Carbon Dioxide? Why? Stop buying carbonated beverages. Plants need Co2 to live as I remember t.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    well...
    Replaced one of the Electrolytic Caps on the PSU which looked a bit dodgy.
    Hey presto!! It works . Cost 50 pence GBR and took 10 minutes..
    just goes to prove how cheap and nasty the original components are....

The South Sea bubble is going to burst soon,as stuff we buy stops working and we have to buy twice because we bought cheap in the first place.Our own fault.

Buy British,if you cant, buy from Germany or Scandinavia or USA.It might cost a bit more ,but it might last a bit longer than year!!

Price doesnt equal quality

floydy
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sadly you are partially right about quality,, though I would leave the USA off your quality list. I have recently retired my own yamada 6700 (with 5980), it still works, but none of the front buttons or the LED indicators work. I decided NOT to go with yamada again! Maybe in ten years their quality will be up to scratch.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote