VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Can Divx/Xvid files be placed onto DVD for play on a capable standalone machine? What software would you recommend? Will I be able to build a "DVD-like" menu with selectable audio/subs for each title? It would be nice to put a bunch of episodes, or a few movies onto one DVD for when traveling. Please note that I'd like to place them onto DVDs with these capabilities; not CDs. Is this even possible?
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, you can do this. The only software I am aware of that can make such menus is TMPGenc DVD Author with Divx authoring capability. The bigger problem you'll have is that to understand the menus, you must have a standalone DVD player that is Divx 6 certified. There aren't a lot of those players available right now.
    Quote Quote  
  3. That would be a player that is divx ULTRA certified... like the philips 5980.
    divxmediabuilder does a nice job and works with pre-existing files of both stripes (xvid and divx)
    And remember no single file can be over 2gb in size... which is a disappointing limitation..
    possibly fat32 related
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you gentlemen for your replies. One more question.

If I create DivX/Xvid onto DVD's with menus, subs and multiple audio tracks, will I still be able to watch them on a non-DivX Ultra Certified player? I realize I would not have a menu, but would I still be able to switch subtitles, audio tracks and possibly chapter forwards and back using the remote?

Thanks again.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You will be able to switch audio with the audio button on the remote. Most non-certified players will not see embedded subs, only external sub files, and none of them will see the chapters.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote