VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just bought an LG brand external DVD burner. It's model # GSA-E40L. I've tried ripping copy-protected DVDs with it to no avail. I tried using DVD Decrypter, 1ClickDVDCopy Pro, and DVDFab Platinum version 3.1.3.6 and nothing worked.

I referenced some of the user guides on the site, but still no love.

Is there copy-protection built into this unit or not? Sorry, I'm a novice to this whole world, and I still have lots of questions about how things work. Please take pity on a newb. Thanks in advance for any help offered.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    rip to your hard drive first using DVDFAB then use DVDSHRINK. DVD DECRYPTER is no longer updated therefore it's of no use for the newer encryption protection schemes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well he said he tried DVDFab Platinum version 3.1.3.6...

But if you look... V3.1.3.6. Is quite a few versions old....
    They are up to v3.1.4.0 on platinum.

And you can try the free version of DVDFab HD Decrypter v3.1.4.5,
    But that's just a ripper and does not have all the extra functions Platinum has.

You have to keep up with the latest updates for newer protections coming out all the time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome waldothewonderboy

In answering to the first part , "copy-protection built into this unit" ... thats a no .

Only issues that appear are from discs with different region code .

----

External ... are you using xp with sp2 .

----

The answer to next part is to keep up to date with the ripping tools , dvdfab hd decrypter is you best option when it comes to ripping protected content from dvd to hard drive ... most other tools are behind , or nolonger updated due to specific reasons .

Its becoming a rather short list now ... but they can not stop those of us who will completely decompile the dvd structure and rebiuld it ... without their rubbish being included ... they might as well just give up .

In doing so , dvds might become cheap enough , that people wouldn't bother ripping in the first place .

My only reason for doing so is to protect my initial investment in dvd titles which a very hard to get a hold of in the first place .

And the second was to avoid pestering my father (multiple strokes) with ridiculous , blasted , flamin menus , asking what you want to do ... all he wanted was to put it in and away it went just like a vhs tape .

Now if they every pulled their collective fingers out , and setup a store online where every movie ever made was placed onto a dvd ... in the highest picture quality available ... I'll be the first customer to sign up asap ... till then ... they blow .

I didn't know they ever made a black and white of friday the 13th ... never seen it ... and I want it now ... bugger the colour versions .
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the replies, fellas!

All the work I'm talking about is being done on Windows XP, SP2, by the way.

I just ripped Chappelle's Show, Season One(2004), using the 3.1.3.6 version of DVDFab Platinum, but I plan on updating to 3.1.4.0 soon. Hopefully, that will allow me to rip more current copy-protected content.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Definetly DVD SHRINK. SHRINK IT MAN!!!!!!!
    LITEON man!
    Quote Quote