VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I I don't know where to post this so..here goes.

My dvdwriter has stopped working. I open the draw and it snaps straight back shut again. It won't burn any dvd's just say to insert a blank dvd. The dvd's are blank.

My writer is ATAPI
    Anybody?
    “He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.”
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    May simply be at the end of its service life , usual sign of draw snapping shut , but try

Replacing the ide cable (or simply remove and reinstall cable)
    Swap different power connector .

Try either disabling or enabling the "autorun" feature on the drive and see if it makes a difference ... windows can be fickle when it comes to "refresh" of contents .

If you had a bootable linux which supports cd/dvd burning , you could run a test burn under linux ... if it works , then you'd have a windows os problem .

These are not so easy to repair without a lot of system info given to determine the fault with software , and most go the reinstall os routine .

Most come in the form of non-friendly burning programs , such as roxio and nero dont like each other , which is a right mess . Should you find yourself with multiple programs , each capable of burning to media , then you need to reasses your requirements in order to prevent further , and future conflicts from re-appearing .

Media could also cause issues with older drives , which comes down to upgrading the drives firmware as a last resort ... if that fails , just get a new drive ... one from lg .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Bjs I think I will just replace the unit.

Peace.
    “He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.”
    Quote Quote