VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What do the different numbers mean?

These are to of my old IPs, I notice it always starts in 72, and next is either 92 or 94.

Also, what is my MAC IP and how do I change it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please Google "IP addresses" all your questions will be answered.
    Quote Quote  
  3. There's no such thing as a MAC IP. A MAC address is a hardware identification assigned by the manufacturer, however there are devices that can clone or allow you to manually set a different address. An IP address is assigned by a network using the TCP/IP network protocol (the same as what's used for the Internet). It can be automatically assigned by a DHCP server or manually set on each device in the network.
    The Internet IP addresses are purchased(rented?) in blocks by the various ISPs. In your case the first two segments have identified at least part of the "block" that your ISP purchased.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Those IP adresses are asigned by Verizon Internet Services. If you have a static IP number you can change it by installing operating system on another computer if you have 2 or more. But in this case first 2 numbers will not change.
    moved to another forum, nobody likes me here...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by RoundTop
    What do the different numbers mean?

These are to of my old IPs, I notice it always starts in 72, and next is either 92 or 94.

Also, what is my MAC IP and how do I change it?
    Welcome to the forum, RoundTop.
    Please continue to ask for the help you need here.
    If everyone searched google for every question the forum would just fade away.
    Also by asking you provide for answers to others that have an interest in your question.
    Have you (everyone) tried Google lately? I find that it is more and more for advertising and finding information is harder to find due to all the ads.
    I learned from the answers provided to your question, so thank you for asking it here.
    Regards, NL
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have a router you can program the Mac address in the setup.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NiteLite
    I find that it is more and more for advertising and finding information is harder to find due to all the ads.
    Get Proxomitron, which as default will disable adds and other stuff you don't need while browsing including referrer.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To clone your network adapterˇ¦s MAC address onto the Router and avoid calling your ISP to change the registered MAC address, follow these instructions:

1. Select Enable.

2. Enter your adapterˇ¦s MAC address in the MAC Address field.

3. Click the Save Settings button.

What do they mean 'clone'?

How do I change the MAC?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also I have two MACs?

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Which one can be seen online?

Also the one in my router's menu is different from both of the above.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get Proxomitron, which as default will disable adds and other stuff you don't need while browsing including referrer.
    Or simply add the following lines to your HOSTS file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

127.0.0.1 pagead.googlesyndication.com
    127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com

That will take care of Google ads ANYWHERE! I also recommend:

127.0.0.1 clickserve.cc-dt.com
    127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 ln.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 ebay.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 paypalssl.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 m.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 m1.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 m2.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 m3.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 m4.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 m.2mdn.net
    127.0.0.1 m1.2mdn.net
    127.0.0.1 m2.2mdn.net
    127.0.0.1 m3.2mdn.net
    127.0.0.1 m4.2mdn.net
    127.0.0.1 us.ebayobjects.com
    127.0.0.1 uk.ebayobjects.com
    127.0.0.1 fr.ebayobjects.com
    127.0.0.1 de.ebayobjects.com
    127.0.0.1 it.ebayobjects.com
    127.0.0.1 nl.ebayobjects.com

as Doubleclick is now owned by Google.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Each LAN NIC would have a MAC number and your router would have one also, and your modem. You can 'clone' your PCs MAC number to your router. That way you router looks like your computer to the ISP. Few ISPs care anymore if you have a router and probably more than one computer behind it. But a few ISP's may use your PC's MAC for identification for login. That's another reason to clone it to the router. If you router has a different MAC number than your computer and you system works, then your ISP doesn't check it or care.

But I would still clone your primary PC MAC number to your router. That way, no matter what computer you have on the LAN, your MAC number will always remain the same. Probably your MAC number can only be seen by the ISP. I'm not sure about that. But your ISP knows who you are anyway, so none of that is a problem.

Routers use NAT (Network Address Translation) to convert your ISP issued addresses to 'Internet' addresses, usually 192.168.0.X and X is between 100 and 255.

You could change your MAC number by replacing the NIC. But your modem's MAC won't change, so that's just a waste of time. For cable modems, it's usually written on the bottom of the modem.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CrayonEater
    Or simply add the following lines to your HOSTS file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

127.0.0.1 pagead.googlesyndication.com
    127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com

That will take care of Google ads ANYWHERE! I also recommend:

127.0.0.1 clickserve.cc-dt.com
    127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 ln.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 ebay.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 paypalssl.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 m.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 m1.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 m2.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 m3.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 m4.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 m.2mdn.net
    127.0.0.1 m1.2mdn.net
    127.0.0.1 m2.2mdn.net
    127.0.0.1 m3.2mdn.net
    127.0.0.1 m4.2mdn.net
    127.0.0.1 us.ebayobjects.com
    127.0.0.1 uk.ebayobjects.com
    127.0.0.1 fr.ebayobjects.com
    127.0.0.1 de.ebayobjects.com
    127.0.0.1 it.ebayobjects.com
    127.0.0.1 nl.ebayobjects.com

as Doubleclick is now owned by Google.
    How does this actually work and which program do I use to open this file? I could open with a notepad, but I won't be able to save it without keeping its format.
    Do you know exactly what are eBay objects? I do some stuff on eBay and I am wondering if this will not stop me from selling and stuff?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also I have two MACs?

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Which one can be seen online?
    That means you have two Network Interface Cards/Adapters installed. One is for a wired Ethernet connection, one is for a wireless. It's possible for both to be active, but whichever method you use to connect to the internet is the main one. (FYI, for security reasons, wired is always strongly preferable to wireless, and any wireless device you don't use should be disabled.)

Contrary to popular belief, your MAC address cannot "be seen online", except for some Internet Explorer/Windows Media Player-specific tricks which have nothing to do with basic networking. Your MAC address can only be "seen" by those computers on your network segment. MAC addressing is a hardware-level addressing scheme that is used to identify a specific computer at the hardware level, whereas IP is a higher-level form of addressing. Your MAC address will not pass beyond your ISP's router for your segment, although segments can consist of up to several thousand individual devices.

Also the one in my router's menu is different from both of the above.
    That's because the MAC address of your router, which is the address visible to your network segment, is different from the ones of your installed network interfaces. In theory, every Ethernet-compatible device is supposed to have a unique MAC address. The first six digits are assigned to each device manufacturer by the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, the group that developed the original MAC system). The last six identify the specific device, kind of like a serial number. Of course, some manufacturers manufacture so many devices that they've been allocated many sets of identifiers, and there are billions of possible combinations, but it can happen that two devices, whether intentionally or by error, can have the same MAC address, and it is quite easy and common to clone, change or spoof a device's MAC address.

Almost all routers, in fact, DO allow you to clone the MAC address of one of the attached devices, or allow you to make one up. It's worth noting that many ISPs which dynamically assign IP addresses base the IP they assign to you on your MAC address, and changing your MAC will likely change the publicly-available IP address (meaning: The IP address that the world sees, which appears under WAN settings, not the LAN IP address assigned to your computers by your router). This can be a good or a bad thing. However, many people get a little paranoid over the fact that their IP address is available to every website they visit; in reality, IP and MAC addresses are a very unreliable means of tracking an individual or computer, which is why other methods are used. Of course, that goes beyond the basic networking stuff which you are asking about.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use Notepad to create a text file. It must be placed in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and must be named HOSTS. Notepad and other Windows programs like to add extensions onto filenames so have the period following HOSTS when saving it, and just copy and paste those lines in. Alternatively, there is a good, yet small and efficient, HOSTS file available from Sponge's Security Site which has a HOSTS file that blocks about 99.9% of all the ad and major tracking sites out there. If you download it, place it in the aforementioned directory, but be sure to rename the file so it is named just HOSTS., because the file from that site has a .txt extension, and it won't work unless you remove that.

As far as Ebay/Paypal, the deal is that Ebay/Paypal route everything you do through Doubleclick/Google as a way of identifying you as an individual and tracking you through those sites, and possibly the internet in general (Doubleclick and Google were by far the two largest data-mining companies in the world, and Google just bought Doubleclick, so now Google really is Big Brother.)

Blocking them, however, should not affect Ebay or Paypal. I use both (as a buyer though), and have not had the slighest problem, though Paypal's sign-in page does run a bit slower and there are no graphics there. However, given Ebay/Paypal's rather sordid record at privacy, and the fact that they've made an unholy union with the biggest data-mining conglomerate in the world, a few seconds extra to sign in and not having to sift through Paypal credit card offers is well worth it!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am just wondering how is this all legal. I mean they infect every ones computers with tracking cookies and get away with that?
    Quote Quote  
  16. I think you all missed the point of NiteLite's post about Google. I don't think he was concerned about ads so much as the search results all come from people selling something as opposed to white paper information about the search subject. The solutions listed will block advertisements, but they won't stop search results showing vendors.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  17. flytRap infected is a rather strong word. If they bother you turn off all cookies in your browser.

Some sites will not work and others will not work right and you will always need to login at sites, no more remember me so the site logs you in when you return. Why are you paranoid about cookies? they are mainly harmless. IMHO of course. If you want to clean them out IE has a place under the tools menu.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Almost all routers, in fact, DO allow you to clone the MAC address of one of the attached devices, or allow you to make one up.
    Will putting in random numbers in the router MAC clone option be bad?

And does it have to have letters?

Mine has numbers and letters, what happens if I just make a new MAC?

So you're saying when I log into a site none of my MAC addresses can be seen?

Computer?

Modem?

Router?

Could a MOD/ADMIN confirm this, I would think you could see it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by RoundTop
    Will putting in random numbers in the router MAC clone option be bad?
    Yes, if you don't follow the proper scheme.

Originally Posted by RoundTop
    And does it have to have letters?
    IIRC, each of the segments in the MAC address are Hexidecimal representatives of values 0 to 255 (00 to FF). So the letters A-F can be included, but are not necessarily required.

Mine has numbers and letters, what happens if I just make a new MAC?
    If you create a new MAC, and your ISP is set to provide dynamic addressing then you will get a new IP address.

So you're saying when I log into a site none of my MAC addresses can be seen?

Computer?

Modem?

Router?
    The WAN MAC address of the router can be seen by the ISP but is not transmitted beyond there as part of the normal networking protocols. The MAC addresses that are on the LAN side of the router, (computers, network printers, anythng with a NIC card), cannot be seen from the outside. The modem usually doesn't have a MAC of it's own because it usually only provides the pipeline and does not involve itself in the networking protocols.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit
    flytRap infected is a rather strong word. If they bother you turn off all cookies in your browser.

Some sites will not work and others will not work right and you will always need to login at sites, no more remember me so the site logs you in when you return. Why are you paranoid about cookies? they are mainly harmless. IMHO of course. If you want to clean them out IE has a place under the tools menu.
    Well there are cookies and cookies, most of them are harmless, but some of them are no good. Just as an example: Paypal have several different cookies from which most of them are information about your user name, password and stuff like that, but few of them are advertising and tracking cookies. And those are the ones you don't want on your HDD.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can use Notepad to create a text file. It must be placed in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and must be named HOSTS. Notepad and other Windows programs like to add extensions onto filenames so have the period following HOSTS when saving it, and just copy and paste those lines in. Alternatively, there is a good, yet small and efficient, HOSTS file available from Sponge's Security Site which has a HOSTS file that blocks about 99.9% of all the ad and major tracking sites out there. If you download it, place it in the aforementioned directory, but be sure to rename the file so it is named just HOSTS., because the file from that site has a .txt extension, and it won't work unless you remove that.

As far as Ebay/Paypal, the deal is that Ebay/Paypal route everything you do through Doubleclick/Google as a way of identifying you as an individual and tracking you through those sites, and possibly the internet in general (Doubleclick and Google were by far the two largest data-mining companies in the world, and Google just bought Doubleclick, so now Google really is Big Brother.)

Blocking them, however, should not affect Ebay or Paypal. I use both (as a buyer though), and have not had the slighest problem, though Paypal's sign-in page does run a bit slower and there are no graphics there. However, given Ebay/Paypal's rather sordid record at privacy, and the fact that they've made an unholy union with the biggest data-mining conglomerate in the world, a few seconds extra to sign in and not having to sift through Paypal credit card offers is well worth it!
    I just wanted to let you know that "paypalobjects" did affect me I wasn't able to get to login page...as for "ebayobjects" everything is fine so far...
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    Yes, if you don't follow the proper scheme.
    What is the scheme?

The WAN MAC address of the router can be seen by the ISP but is not transmitted beyond there as part of the normal networking protocols. The MAC addresses that are on the LAN side of the router, (computers, network printers, anythng with a NIC card), cannot be seen from the outside. The modem usually doesn't have a MAC of it's own because it usually only provides the pipeline and does not involve itself in the networking protocols.
    So none of my MACs can be seen online?

What if I'm on a forum, could a MOD/ADMIN take a look at my MAC if he wanted to?

And they can't see the IP of my router, only the ISP IP?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by RoundTop
    What is the scheme?
    I explained that with the question about letters.

So none of my MACs can be seen online?
    Not via normal networking protocols, no.

What if I'm on a forum, could a MOD/ADMIN take a look at my MAC if he wanted to?
    I'm not aware of any way that he/she could, but don't think for a minute that he/she can't identify you if you've violated the rules and have been banned. Website information exchange is not restricted to only network protocols.

And they can't see the IP of my router, only the ISP IP?
    They do see the IP of your router. It is the IP that the ISP assigned to the WAN side of your router.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I explained that with the question about letters.
    So as long as a type in a MAC that follows that, it will work?

Which are?

Website information exchange is not restricted to only network protocols.
    Like?

They do see the IP of your router. It is the IP that the ISP assigned to the WAN side of your router.
    My IP on my router is different than my IP that shows up on myip.dk...

Are you saying both are visible online?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by RoundTop
    Which are?
    TCP/IP

Website information exchange is not restricted to only network protocols.
    Like?
    Cookies would be one example.

My IP on my router is different than my IP that shows up on myip.dk...
    That wouldn't be normal, but not impossible if for example a proxy is involved. I've never used myip.dk so I don't know what they are or what they look at. I've always checked my IP address at GRC.com

Are you saying both are visible online?
    I wouldn't know since I'm not familiar with myip.dk.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Visit and see what it does.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I'm not the one seeking an education here, nonetheless...
    It shows the IP address that my ISP assigned to my routers WAN port and my ISP resolved name. As expected. If you see a different address then either you are looking at the IP address for the wrong port on your router or you have a proxy involved (whether you are aware of it or not). In the case of a proxy changing your MAC to receive a different IP may have no effect on the address given by the proxy to the outside world.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  28. RoundTop - what is your concern and/or what is it you are trying to achieve?

The MAC address is really not used much anymore. It is possible to have two different hardware with the same address, I have seen it and confirmed by two other techs. Cloning this address to the router serves little real purpose.

As for hardware/software able to detect this, there is little risk unless you are a bank or other hi-security enterprise, or perhaps are engaged in other activities.

If security is this high-level a concern, you are looking in the wrong place for answers and/or need real expert help.

You may be a bit confused between External, or WAN, IP address and your Internal, or LAN IP address. Think of the WAN like your company phone number, and the LAN like your internal extension. A call comes in, and the Switchboard operator directs, or Routes, the call to your extension. Unlike the phone, the extension number or LAN address is not accessable from the outside, unless the Router is specifically programmed for this through an open port, such as for Terminal Services or PCAnywhere.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So what is everything that CAN be seen by someone online, when I log into a forum for instance?

Both by a MOD/ADMIN.... I'm pretty sure members can't see anything just like me.
    Quote Quote  
  30. If you have a webcam and they have the right software, they can see the end of your nose.

Typically, they do not see anything other than your router's External IP.

Also typically, if "they" are doing any other snooping, "they" are not going to tell you or anyone else about it.
    Quote Quote