VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I really want to reformat my hard drive with my recovery disk but since my DVD drive is broken I can't do so. My problem is I have to many codecs sitting on my computer and I really think it's affecting my computer's ability to properly convert videos. Is there anyway to wipe out all the codecs on your computer and start over? When I downloaded Zoom player it "disconnected" many of the codecs (all?) but they're still out there. I really want to wipe them out and start over.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try Codec Sniper. It should be able to remove most of them. And whatever you do, don't install a codec pack. It will commonly lead to the same problem you have.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks, i got rid of two broken codecs. I still have 177 though and I'm sure that's too many. I'm afraid of eliminating all of them though because I read about how dangerous that could be.
    Does anyone know how to install only the codecs that came w/ your computer when you bought it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There's this page from MS on installed codecs for XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899113
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you so much!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    filmedit is also worth a look. Trickier to work with than CodecSniper, but does a better job.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote