VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings all. First time poster here. I tried to find the answer to this problem here in this forum with no luck.

I am trying to convert DVDs (multiple VOB's) to one MPEG2 file for use with my Elgato EyeHome ( this is a AppleTV-like device that has been disontinued by the manufactorer, but still serves its purpose well).

I have used MANY combinations or ripping software, muxing & demuxing software, etc. all with similiar results--at least half my owned DVDs result in MPEG files which show small amounts of repeatable video stutter/skipping thoughout the length of the video, while the audio and AV sync remains perfect.

For instance, I began by using MacTheRipper to do the basic de-encrypting, resulting in a VIDEO_TS folder with all the required components. I would then use MPEG Streamclip to demux, convert AC3 to MP2, and then mux to one big MPEG2 file. These two apps provided a very simple solution. I then used MacTheRipper to combine VOBs and/or demux at the same time. I woud then send this file to Stremlclip with SIMILIAR results--that is, stutter remained, but occured at different places in time (all repeatable).

I then spent some $ on commercial software like Xilisoft's DVD Ripper, DVDxDVD etc. and used other freeware and shareware to demux-convert AC3 to MP2-mux. Again, to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alex
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know why you are getting stutters at different points when you use these different tools. This can happen if your source DVD is damaged, but you seem to be saying that you have at least one method that works consistently, so it seems unlikely that damage is the problem. I am assuming that all of these VOBs have the same data rate, aspect ratio, audio type/bitrate, etc.

I use a different workflow than you do for accomplishing this. You might want to give it a try and see what happens:

If not yet ripped, rip as a single VOB, demux, transocde audio, remux.

If you've already ripped as separate VOBs, then use D-Vision3's VOB joining tool to create a single VOB file. Then demux, transcode, remux.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.
    No. No Mehtod that works correctly.

I will try D-Vision tonoght.
    Quote Quote