VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Has this been discussed yet?

...For the first time in industry history, every video producer and videographer—no matter how big or small—has access to the same cutting-edge, anti-rip DVDR copy protection used by the most powerful movie distributors and studios.

Chicago Digital Post/Great Lakes Digital Media (CDP/GLDM), an innovative multimedia service and disc manufacturing company, has licensed with Macrovision Corporation, the worldwide leader in rip control technology. Together, they’re making RipGuard-MOD (Manufacturing on Demand)—the entertainment industry’s most popular rip control technology—available to independent producers nationwide who create Recordable DVD Video products...
    http://www.dv.com/news/news_item.php?articleId=196603272

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What's to discuss??

Who would want to buy so called "cutting edge" DVD copy protection, when anyone with a computer can use one of the many products including free downloads that defeat all copy protection schemes out there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Not a big deal but this could allow DVD vending machines. - Point of sale stuff. Only really benefits the studios and distributors who are freakish on this whole CSS stuff.

Sonic Solution came out with something similar but you had to use special DVD-R discs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    now, finally we have something to tell all those video producers that come here asking to protect their material. They can throw away their money just like the movie studios... (less than a dollar per disc to a few dollars per disc, depending on quantity)

What percentage of people have DVD copying utilities, but don't have the knowledge to defeat Macrovision? What a small % this might actually effect...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think most of these DVD ripping programs have "remove macrovision" as the default setting. Therefore, the real question is what percentage of people know how to NOT defeat macrovision. LOL...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ...For the first time in industry history, every video producer and videographer, no matter how big or small has access to the same cutting-edge, anti-rip DVDR copy protection used by the most powerful movie distributors and studios.

You mean the protection that is easily defeated ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ulead DVD video studio already lets you copy protect your disks, but I don't know what method it is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy
    Ulead DVD video studio already lets you copy protect your disks, but I don't know what method it is.
    ??? Never heard of that feature on VS , only on DVDWS which is all but useless becasue it only sets the flag. It still has to be implemented by a pressing facility: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic333032.html
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by gotnotime
    What's to discuss??
    By discussed, I meant, 'have we torn this apart yet?'

Seems to me there is very little good marketing can't sell, whether it's value can be merited or not. I imagine this product would appeal to the 'hobbyist' video person who sweats more about people 'stealing his stuff' than they do about delivering a superior product.

Puts money into the bank for Macrovision.

I need to invent something useless that people will buy.

--dES
    Quote Quote  
  10. Sorry colman, that is Ulead Dvd Workshop 2:
    Copy Protection
    Add copyright protection to your DVD titles with Macrovision and CSS options.

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1179928165480
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy
    Sorry colman, that is Ulead Dvd Workshop 2:
    Copy Protection
    Add copyright protection to your DVD titles with Macrovision and CSS options.

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1179928165480
    And again that's misleading, actually out right lie IMO from Uleads site in the fine print:

What kind of copy protection does DVD Workshop 2 support?
    In the DVD industry, there are currently three forms of copy protection:
    • Content Scrambling System (CSS)
    • Copy Generation Management System (CGMS)
    • Macrovision's Analog Copy Protection system (ACP)
    DVD Workshop 2 supports two of these three forms, including:
    1. Macrovision ACP:
    ACP is a proprietary protection system developed and patented by Macrovision. There are two elements: Automatic Gain Control (AGC) and Colorstripe™. Macrovision's ACP technology is embedded in virtually all DVD players, and is best known for making VCRs create grossly distorted copies. Macrovision's ACP technology must be licensed, but IC and DVD hardware manufacturers do not have to pay royalties. However, Macrovision does require that chips and DVD devices be tested for proper implementation of their technology. This ensures that all content owners are actually benefiting from the ACP copy protection. Please visit their website www.macrovision.com for more information.
    2. CSS:
    CSS uses data encryption techniques to scramble video on DVD media, thus preventing playback on DVD devices that do not have decryption capabilities. To be authorized to decrypt CSS-protected content, hardware manufacturers must apply to the DVD Copy Control Association (DVD CCA) for a license and decryption key (refer to www.dvdcca.org for details). DVD Workshop 2 does not scramble the content, but only sets a flag in the DDP header. The DVD mastering company then reads the flag and requests the encryption data from the producer. The producer must apply separately for the encryption data.
    http://www.ulead.com/tech/dws/dws20faq.htm
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thats right....CSS and/or Craprovision can only be applied at the replication plant. Consumer products like Ulead or DVDSP only apply the flags.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We can now copy protect a DVD-R video with our Rabbit Lock it is basicly CSS encryption. So the technology is moving that way. chris@amsrabbit.com
    CD and DVD manufacturing and DVD-R video copy protection. chris@amsrabbit.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by groovyone
    We can now copy protect a DVD-R video with our Rabbit Lock it is basicly CSS encryption. also a full service duplication and replication company. chris@amsrabbit.com

spam
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Spam? I am sure you are always posting ways to help people out, we developed this because people ask for it. If someone is in need of it get a hold of me by email and I will get you some samples out.

We had customers constantly asking for a way to copy protect there smaller quanities, even some that only needed a few hundred would run 1,000 just so they could replicate with copy protection. So I believe that this will be something that people will find usefull, sorry if this slows down your ripping off of others content.
    Quote Quote  
  16. This is easily defeated. The last person who "claimed" that you could copy protect dvd's forgot about copying through windows explorer.

Give it up.

You are selling snake oil.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    read the forum rules. commercial advertising of your product here is a violation of them, and should get you banned.

mods job, not mine.

good luck on the slowing down part, hope they're not paying you much
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not advertising, just saying that it is becoming availible. Yes all copy protection can be broken, you only have to be as smart as an 8 year old to download something to crack it, but it helps with the casual copier. I am pretty excited about it, and have had good responce. All copy protection can do is keep the honest people honest. The same guys that will take the time to break the copy protection are the same kind of guys who would break your car window to pull out your stereo so I guess the case can be made not to lock your door.

Like I said it helps keep the honest people honest, as for the liars and cheats, not much you can do there.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by groovyone
    I am not advertising, just saying that it is becoming availible.
    No, you're advertising, and that is not tolerated here.

Hopefully the MOD will lock this post.

--dES
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am? What company do I work for?

Maybe a bunch of dishonest people will be mad that they will have a harder time ripping off content.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by groovyone
    I am not advertising, just saying that it is becoming availible. Yes all copy protection can be broken, you only have to be as smart as an 8 year old to download something to crack it, but it helps with the casual copier.
    The casual copier that you refer to gets pissed off by commercials saying that if they breathe, they are stealing. A quick google search tells them where to get programs to bypass them.

Welcome to the present. You cannot copy protect a dvd. You are wasting your time and money when programs that are free, can copy your precious dvd with ease.

Originally Posted by groovyone
    Maybe a bunch of dishonest people will be mad that they will have a harder time ripping off content.
    It is this anti-customer attitude that pisses people off. If people buy a product from you, they are not thieves.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by groovyone
    I am? What company do I work for?

Since what you are trying to sell won't even slow down an 8 year-old with a computer who wants to make a backup copy of their dvd disc (your own words) - shouldn't we ask . . . "who actually is being dishonest here?"
    Quote Quote  
  23. Encryption is good....why would anyone here argue that technology to keep certain individuals from making illegitimate copies is a bad thing??

If any one here is a content owner, you will understand. I don't agree with the way certain entities enforced the law or pay off public official to support their agenda BUT... technology such as Sonic's Qflix, Macrovision and this guy's Rabbit Lock are a good thing.

It might be hard to believe on this forum but MOST people don't know how to break CSS encryption and its "MOST" people who copy content to give to their friends and family without paying for it.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by videopoo

It might be hard to believe on this forum but MOST people don't know how to break CSS encryption and its "MOST" people who copy content to give to their friends and family without paying for it.
    Bull - All the person needs to do is use google.

Your viewpoint is not realistic.

There is this nice invention called the internet. Maybe you have heard of it.

I am a content creator, as well, but I do not take the outrageous stance that you and others do.

I create content because I love to.

No one gave you the right to earn a living from your content. You should be lucky someone buys your content at all.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Bull - All the person has to do is use google.
    No way....people are clueless when it comes to using a computer..period. Like I said..its hard to believe
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by videopoo
    Bull - All the person has to do is use google.
    No way....people are clueless when it comes to using a computer..period. Like I said..its hard to believe
    Wrong

People are smarter than you give them credit for.

The only people you are talking about are people in their fifties and sixties, and they are learning to use computers.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I am a content creator, as well, but I do not take the outrageous stance that you and others do.

I create content because I love to.

No one gave you the right to earn a living from your content. You should be lucky someone buys your content at all.
    ?????

Okay...but I do this for a living and feel lucky to do what I do. I much rather be surfing in Bali but thats not going to happen unless I get this stuff to market.

So you'd be OK with someone renting or borrowing a disc you produced then making copies for their friends? For reals?
    Quote Quote  
  28. People are smarter than you give them credit for.

I don't know about that...it would be an interesting street poll to see what percentage of avg folks would be able to pull it off
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by videopoo
    People are smarter than you give them credit for.

I don't know about that...it would be an interesting street poll to see what percentage of avg folks would be able to pull it off
    Welcome to the information age.It is a wonderful thing.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by videopoo
    So you'd be OK with someone renting or borrowing a disc you produced then making copies for their friends? For reals?
    Yes, because it is a hobby. My profession is Information Security. If someone buys a product, they are free to do whatever with it. You could not stop them from using the disc as a frisbee or melting it down. You only have the right of first sale. That is not even a guarantee.
    Quote Quote