VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As the title states, the tray on my player is locked shut. I used the DVD player one night, went to use it on another and the tray wouldn't open. When the eject button is pressed, the "open" text appears on the player and a motor can be heard spinning. However, the tray doesn't open. When the button is pressed again, the player reads "loading," just like normal. It seems like the player doesn't "know" that anything is wrong. I tried opening it up and looking briefly at the drive while it attempts to open the tray, but I can't see anything obviously wrong. I'm at a loss as to what happened between one night and the other...

Any ideas as to what might be wrong / how to fix it?

By the way, I tried to do a factory reset, but that didn't do anything...
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've had this happen on one DVD player before and it was just that the little plastic gear on the motor shaft, the gear that drives the tray in/out, had cracked, so it was just spinning on the shaft under load. I unscrewed the motor from the assembly, slid the cracked gear off (it just slides off), put a drop of super glue on the end of the shaft and slid the gear back on.

Let it dry for a minute, screw the motor back in, and test it. It worked for me, hope it works for you!

EDIT: Obviously you'll have to open up the player to do all this, and hunting down which screws to remove is half the fun. But make sure you only do this with the DVD player unplugged, it ain't worth getting fried for this!
    Quote Quote