VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BACKGROUND
    I've been trying, without success, to use ffmpegX to convert video_ts folders (including chapters with markers, credits, etc) from DVDs into mp4 files upon which I could do further work in Apple's iDVD application.

[By the way, my aims in working on the mp4 files in iDVD include the following:
    - to consolidate three (short) DVDs onto one DVD.
    - to create a new menu with links to chapters, etc.
    - to make the combination DVD for use in DVD players, Macs, and PCs - as opposed to iPods.]

The video_ts folders came from three DVDs that a friend created for me from three VHS tapes, using the same process for each DVD/VHS tape pair.
    I applied MacThe Ripper to the three DVDs, resulting in three ripped video-ts folders on my hard drive, - one video_ts folder for each of the original VHS tapes.

At first, I was reasonably successful. With the first video_ts folder that I tried to encode, I finally succeeded in converting it into an mp4 file that iDVD and QuickTime CAN open.
    To do so, I found that I had to use the "h.264 mencoder" encoder. The ".MOV mpeg-4" and ".MP4 mpeg-4" encoders would not run with the inputted video-ts folder.
    Also, I left all other default settings standing.

PROBLEMS:
    1. With the second video-ts folder (from the next source-DVD) that I tried, I've been getting all kinds of grief - and haven't been able to produce a playable mp4 file.
    First, I got an unplayable file named movie.mp4 .
    Then I read "HOW TO ENCODE A MOVIE FOR THE iPod IN HIGH-RESOLUTION H.264 (640 PIXELS WIDTH) WITH FFMPEGX FOR MAC OSX' at http://www.ffmpegx.com/ipodh264hires.html , which is sort of similar to what I want to do.
    However, because I don't know how to "extract" the ripped video_ts folder "as a single VOB file" as directed in the article, the first thing I tried was to input the video-ts folder.
    Also, on different attempted conversions I switched around between the "iPod h.264 640w" encoder that is specified in the article, and the (previously successful) "h.264 mencoder" encoder - but with no successful outcome.
    - On one attempt, I got an unplayable file named movie.264
    - On another attempt, I got an unplayable file named movie.aac.264
    - On another attempt, I got an unplayable file called movie.mp4, plus a folder named "movie" containing a file named "audiodump.wav", plus a file called movie.aac.mp4

Also, I tried inputting the largest vob file (which I took from inside the ripped video_ts folder).
    The result was IMMEDIATE production an unplayable 0 KB file named VTS_01_1.VOB.ff.video.mp4.

I wonder whether there's a clear step-by-step written procedure for what I'm trying to do.

2. Regarding the "successful" mp4 file that I created out of the ripped video-ts folder from the first source DVD/VHS tape, one problem is that as far as I can tell I think the chapters etc are all merged into one big mp4 file without markers.
    I noticed that under the "video" tab of ffmpegX, there are two fillable fields next to "Chap". However, after I filled in those fields with "1" and "11" (as there are 11 chapters in the original), the resulting conversion resulted immediately in a 0 KB file.

Is there a way for me to preserve chapter markers through the process of converting video-ts or vob to mp4?

3. Also regarding the "successful" mp4 file that I created out of the ripped video-ts folder from the first source DVD/VHS tape, I notice that the video has gone from the 720x480 of the source DVD to 640x352.

Can I do better, considering I want to play the product DVD on televisions and computers?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I do not understand why you are converting to MP4 when your goal is to play on a standalone DVD player???? This will only work on Divx compatible players.

What you really should be doing is to avoid all re-encoding as this just removes quality, and you already have DVD compatible video, you just want to join all three into one.

Most rippers will allow a rip to a single VOB file, this might help with some of the problem.

Have you checked that the total file sizes will fit?

There are progs to do this on the PC, but unfortunately I know little about Mac software.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Nelson, and thank you for responding

I do not understand why you are converting to MP4 when your goal is to play on a standalone DVD player????
    I started out with simultaneous goals of combining three related low-size DVDs onto one DVD, and learning how to use Apple's iDVD application, which only recognizes files compatible with QuickTime. (Apparently, video_ts and .vob files are not compatible with QuickTime).

What you really should be doing is to avoid all re-encoding as this just removes quality, and you already have DVD compatible video, you just want to join all three into one.
    What a great logical observation! Thank you. When I started this project, I was "attached" to iDVD, because iDVD can make very nice looking menus with links (buttons) to chapters etc., and because it seems useful to learn how to use iDVD as it is well interfaced with other Apple applications.

Most rippers will allow a rip to a single VOB file, this might help with some of the problem.
    Do you know if MacTheRipper can do that from three DVDs? Also, is DVD2ONEX a ripper (I have that.) Also, I haven't heard of ffmpegX and HandBrake being referred to as rippers - are they?
    Also - as I'm new to this - how would I know which of the files on each DVD to pick out and which to discard? On each of the three DVDs there are the following folders and files:
    VIDEO_RM
    VIDEO_RM.BUP
    VIDEO_RM.DAT
    VIDEO_RM.IFO

VIDEO_TS
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.VOB
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB

Have you checked that the total file sizes will fit?
    Yes, they'll fit.

There are progs to do this on the PC, but unfortunately I know little about Mac software.
    I appreciate any help.
    Did you notice you're the only person that's responded in three days?! Meanwhile, despite my other efforts reading around and experimenting, I'm a bit stuck. As I posted in the Newbie / General Discussions forum, I've even been wondering whether to re-post in the Mac forum, even though no moderator has done so (which the rules state they would if appropriate).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's usually best to post Mac related questions in the Mac forum, irregardless of the video subject. I'll move you.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try the Guides section, I know there are some there for doing this on the PC. Won't quite be the same but should give you the general idea.

SFAIK ffmpgX is not generally called a ripping program.

MAC is just wierd, oddball and obscure to me. Nothing personal, I know more about Linux, or Xenix for that matter, than Mac.

First thing is to join the 3 DVD together, I've never really had a need to do this but it is relatively simple as its just a digital join, sort of.

Once they are all in one big lump, After That you can use various converters to get to whatever final format you want.

There should be other ways to do it, the key is convert as little as possible and then only once.

BUT, any conversion will lower both quality and compatibility. For Mac, PC, and DVD player, you are already done.

IPOD or whatever is another conversion. Just join first, then convert as needed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Nelson37

I didn't forget the help and advice you gave me.
    I've been off learning about Roxio's 'Toast' application for Mac, for my video authoring - and learning a lot of basics on the way.

I've was very loath and slow in coming to accept that while utilities such as Apple's Disk Utility, ffmpegX, and HandBrake, are extremely useful, nevertheless for people without the time and energy to understand and remember a LOT of esoteric technical issues with video it may well be much easier, effective, productive, etc., to use an application such as Toast. I think it's sad there's no user friendly, multiply-compatible DVD authoring freeware (I mean iDVD seems very limited to me after having used Toast) - as Toast is very expensive, at least in my frame of reference.

Even so, I found I needed quite a bit of expert coaching in Roxio's forum for Toast - and I got it, from another wonderful person there.

While I was struggling to achieve everything using the aforementioned utilities, certainly I learned some very useful basic knowledge .
    In fact, when using Toast I realized I am very far away from what's happening "under the covers". That's generally the case with GUIs, isn't it?

Actually, I can imagine wanting/needing to use those utilities in addition to Toast in future. Now I have some (little) experience with them, at least that's a possibility.

I haven't yet gone back to pick up and complete the video authoring project that you were helping me with. However, based on two other projects I've successfully achieved in Toast, I think there should be good odds for my success with the first project.
    I didn't want to leave it any longer to thank you for all your help.
    You were the only one that responded, and without your encouragement, I'm sorry to say I might well have given up.
    Thank you very much, Nelson37 !
    Quote Quote