VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey All,

I was just searching the net and found this forum. Im hoping someone here has ran into this issue before and knows how to correct it. Before I go into the specs of my hardware the specific problem I am having is when I try to play "The Living Sea" on my rig in WMVHD format, the video stutters. It consistently stutters at the same spots on the video, and does it whether I play the 1080p or the 720p version.

My rig is an Asus striker extreme motherboard, a Pentium Core 2 duo 2.4 ghz cpu, and 2 gbs of 1066 fsb memory. Video is on a Geforce 8800 GTS. The primary hard drive is a 72 gb 10k rpm SATA 150. The DVD drive is the Asus 18x lightscribe writer. I have one DVI out going to my main monitor which is a new Samsung 22" wide. The other DVI out is a DVI out to HDMI cable that runs into my Sharp 52" Aquos. The Aquos is the 62u series.

I bought 4 WMVHD videos so I could show the full potential of the Sharp TV. The videos are "Speed", "Step into liquid", "The magic of flight", and "The living sea". The first 3 run perfectly from the disc (not copied to the hard drive). For the most part, even if you copy the videos to the hard drive, they give a copy protection error upon playback. With the living sea though, that is not the case, and I have copied both the 720p version and the 1080p version to the hard drive (which is half full). All of the other videos run just fine from the DVD's, and this one gets choppy video on both the DVD playback, and the local hard drive copies.

I have tried many things thinking that the computer just handle the file. I added an addtional 2 gbs of ram. I stopped every service on the computer. I tried to run through another video player that is less of a pig than WMP, but it flat out wouldnt play the file. No matter what I try, I get the same result. The audio is perfect, and in synch with the video, but the video itself is choppy at the same spots.

If anyone has any ideas, please help. The standard DVD copy is complete crap in comparison the HD video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your system certainly meets system standard. Have you tried to play those sections on a different computer? My only guess is it could be display card related. WMV-HD uses the display card for acceleration. Maybe something in the display driver or hardware is causing the glitch.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I dont know if this is your answer...

I downloaded the demo coral ref in WMV HD format so i could test it in my media jukbox..
    I dont have a HD tv (I have a 32inch 100Hz "fat-tv") and wanted to see how the pic quality
    turned out. It was super, crystal clear and fine movment, but no sound.
    My media jukbox dosent play WMA pro...

The source was in telecine format 23fps so I demuxed the wmv HD file.

I made a pulldown on the video (29fps) and encode it into mpeg2..the audio went to DD2.0 (.ac3)..

After all conversion operations the pans stutter but the pic quality was perfect...

In order to remove the stutter i had to encode the video with 23fps...

Now every thing worked fine and there was no loss in quality at all...

Maybe there is a problem with how the hardware handel framerates or telecined movies

stars...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, Im thinking that it might be the display driver. It is a Geforce 8 card, and Windows Vista. Nvidia hasnt really finalized the driver for either of those. I may just have to wait and see on that. I will take the video to a buddys house and see if it works for him, but Im not sure if any of my friends have a good enough machine to try it on. Ill just take the other videos to use as a benchmark.

For the second responder, I havent tried Coral Reef adventure. When I went to purchase these videos I opted for "The living sea" instead. It seemed a little cooler. Now I wish I would have bought "Coral Reef Adventure" instead.
    Quote Quote