VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I need some help making a decision. I'm going to be traveling abroad and I want to be able to save videos on my laptop. I have a Canon Hi 8 camcorder and my computer has USB 2 and firewire inputs.

I'm wondering if I should get an external capture card to plug my camcorder into, or if it would be worth it to get a new mini DV camcorder. I would like a harddrive camcorder, but I can't afford one of those.

So, I know it would be less costly to get an external capture card. Will the quality be significantly lower if I use an external capture card with my Hi 8 camcorder versus using a mini DV camcorder?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You really wanna lug that stuff around while traveling?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are few to none multistandard camcorders so that option won't cover your need to capture local signals.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. First reply: Well, I'm not really going to be traveling around. I'm going be living in another country, so I don't mind bringing that stuff with me.

Second reply: Huh?

I want to be able to put videos that I record onto my computer. I know that one can do this with a mini DV camcorder, and I also know that one can do this with a camcorder such as my Hi 8, provided he or she has a capture device. I'm wondering about the difference in quality between the two so I can decide if I should just buy a mini DV camcorder, or if I should get a capture device to use with my Hi 8.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by steppenwolf_27
    First reply: Well, I'm not really going to be traveling around. I'm going be living in another country, so I don't mind bringing that stuff with me.

Second reply: Huh?

I want to be able to put videos that I record onto my computer. I know that one can do this with a mini DV camcorder, and I also know that one can do this with a camcorder such as my Hi 8, provided he or she has a capture device. I'm wondering about the difference in quality between the two so I can decide if I should just buy a mini DV camcorder, or if I should get a capture device to use with my Hi 8.

Thanks
    MiniDV will be a great improvement and doesn't require a capture device so you can apply that savings toward a new camcorder. Also MiniDV tapes are small and easier to pack. They are also cheap (~$2.50-3) if purchased here online before you go.

DV format takes 13GB/hr. You might also need an external drive. I'd recommend keeping the video on tapes.

I can't imagine you aren't interested in capturing local foreign video.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by edDV
    There are few to none multistandard camcorders so that option won't cover your need to capture local signals.
    I don't get how having a multistandard camcorder will help somebody capture local signals.

Would these be broadcast signals? In that case, a tuner (external or internal) that'll receive that country's NTSC or PAL signal would seem the better choice, both for cost and ease of use. You could just swap out whatever tuner card you've got depending on the zone.

If you're talking about viewing tapes from another country, I could see that, but I'm not aware of many places that make shows available in DV format. I'd just get a DVD instead!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ozymango
    Originally Posted by edDV
    I don't get how having a multistandard camcorder will help somebody capture local signals.

Would these be broadcast signals? In that case, a tuner (external or internal) that'll receive that country's NTSC or PAL signal would seem the better choice, both for cost and ease of use. You could just swap out whatever tuner card you've got depending on the zone.

If you're talking about viewing tapes from another country, I could see that, but I'm not aware of many places that make shows available in DV format. I'd just get a DVD instead!
    I was making the point that multi-standard camcorders don't exist at the consumer level. If they did, you could capture off a local cable/sat tuner, DVD recorder, VCR or a TV with A/V outputs. I do this with my trusty old Canopus ADVC-100 transcoder that does work NTSC or PAL.

A laptop oriented multi-standard tuner would be nice but the units out there are very preliminary and expensive. No doubt good ones that work analog or digital to USB2, PC card or Firewire wil be available in the next few years. International road warriors will need one and some laptops may build one inside. Just add antenna.
    Quote Quote