VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have purchased a used Sony TRV460 to convert my old Hi8 video tapes. I purchased it because I thought analog to digital conversion would be best from a camcorder. However, I've noticed that there is a horizontal line near the bottom. I've attached a frame that illustrates this annoyance. Video and audio is fine but I'm irritated with this line. Is there anyway to remove it?

BTW, I did search most of the forums and I did not see a subject that address what I'm seeing. If there is, please point me to the right topic. Thanks,

corrupted%20frame.bmp
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is most likely the head switch. This usually displays off screen in the overscan area so is not noticed on a TV. What you see in that picture is much less than for normal Hi8.

This is more typical. The corner crops in this picture are due to a lens splash filter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I capture VHS tape video using my Pinnacle Movie Box USB and Pinnacle Studio 9 (I know, I know, they're not the latest, but they work.) I always see that line on the bottom of the screen when previewing the video in Pinnacle. It is never visible in the final video product after transcoding, burning to DVD and playing the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. So if the horizontal line is an artifact due to the scanning head which seems to be present in all tape-type camcorders (at least Sony), is there a way that the output video can be cropped? I plan to digitalize the Hi8 videos and they play them back on my computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, what you can do is zoom in a tiny amount 'till it's gone...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Mask it with black.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it's more safe to hide it (avoid resizing interlaced video vertically). AviSynth:

Letterbox(0,8)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I appreciate all the suggestions. I am pleasantly surprise on the quick responses. I'm glad to have stumbled on this site by accident. Definitely on top of my list for video help. Thanks again!
    Quote Quote