VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    01. I am looking at a divx player which comes with an ATSC tuner builtin. Does this mean, it can only view Over the Air HD Signals or can it also view HD Channels from my cable operator?

02. Are there any tuner cards which can view HD channels sent over cable? (comcast)

Please let me know.
    Thanks

-GGR
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ATSC and NTSC are standards for broadcasting digital and analog TV signals. What it means when your TV has a built in ATSC / NTSC tuner (you didn't specify tuner but I assume this is what you meant) is that your TV can pull TV channels out of the air, analog and digital both. Think of it as an advanced pair of rabbit ears. Without such a tuner, you would need a cable box of some sort to watch ANYTHING even channels 2-13. with a tuner, it works much like a TV you might have had 15 years ago when you could get a few basic channels without needing the cable box. It has much better feature and quality BUY IT! They are tuners built in for receiving off-air signals. The govt required tv mfgrs to start providing this so that people did not have to get cable or satellite to receive a local channel in HD. that is for shows that are broadcast in hd but in order to the the hd you need to buy hd antenna bestbuy and radio shack have them inexpensive.
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by marvingj
    you need to buy hd antenna bestbuy and radio shack have them inexpensive.
    No hd atenna needed. Standard old antenna will work just fine. Though powered is better than unpowered so you get a stronger signal. I use a basic antenna on my fusion hdtv capture card. I think that hd antenna stuff is just more marketing gimmick than anything.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote