VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I've got both a 520H and a 720H of witch I'm fully satisfied. However, I have to admit that their lifetime is limited by the life of the optical lens of the burner.

The closest replacement is to get a DVR-107 (or DVR-A07), then retrieve the lens to fit in the DVR-107XA (Gshelley61 did it successfuly - see huge topic about HDD replacement on this machine).

Unfortunately, these drives are getting a bit rare (5 generations old ...), and a new drive unit from Pioneer costs about $300.

So did someone successfully replaced this unit with something else? A DVR-108 could be okay, but today, we have only DVR-111 and DVR-112 fully available (of course, electrical connections are not compatible).

I think I'm not alone to have this unit, and sadly, one day or another we all have this problem. So, any working idea is welcome!
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by donglejack
    Hello,

I've got both a 520H and a 720H of witch I'm fully satisfied. However, I have to admit that their lifetime is limited by the life of the optical lens of the burner.

The closest replacement is to get a DVR-107 (or DVR-A07), then retrieve the lens to fit in the DVR-107XA (Gshelley61 did it successfuly - see huge topic about HDD replacement on this machine).

Unfortunately, these drives are getting a bit rare (5 generations old ...), and a new drive unit from Pioneer costs about $300.

So did someone successfully replaced this unit with something else? A DVR-108 could be okay, but today, we have only DVR-111 and DVR-112 fully available (of course, electrical connections are not compatible).

I think I'm not alone to have this unit, and sadly, one day or another we all have this problem. So, any working idea is welcome!
    The short answer is Ebay. That is where I acquired my two lightly used backup drives. There is also a vendor in Orange County Calif. (who I think may have been referenced in the thread that you cited, or in the replace-HDD thread if that is not the one you referred to) who apparently has some leftover stock on the 107s, which he is selling for around $100. each.

I must admit to confusion over the various models within a Pioneer series. The retail box A0_ vs. the OEM 10_ is clear enough. But whats up with the XL versions, for example ? There are Mac versions that seem to have no Eject button. According to the optical drive replacement account in that thread, all that is done is to cannibalize the laser / lens assembly. So, within the _07 family, the other differences may not matter. Or at least I HOPE SO. As to the _08, I have no idea. Once you go past that, I suspect the differences become critical.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks Seeker47 for your answer.

Yes, you find many 107 burners on eBay, but unfortunately, you do not know if these are hardly used or not...
    There was a seller few weeks ago that had some in stock, but he required a minimum of $500 to ship o'seas. No luck ...

And a 107 (or A07) is not useable as a plug&play replacement, since the firmware is quite different in the DVR-520. Perhaps it is possible however to fit a standard 107 in the DVR-520 and then upload the firmware from service disk (I didn't tried).

However, I 'm very interested in the name of your vendor. I think I have a look at the 'HDD replacement' thrad right now

Have a nice day!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, you find many 107 burners on eBay, but unfortunately, you do not know if these are hardly used or not... There was a seller few weeks ago that had some in stock, but he required a minimum of $500 to ship o'seas. No luck ... !
    The overseas shipping part is a complication, for sure. I've seen a lot of Ebay auctions where the Seller (who must have gotten burned once on such a transaction) either won't sell to bidders outside the country or places extreme conditions on such a sale. The price for the replacement part from Pioneer is also ridiculous. For less than that amount, I earlier considered buying a DVD duplicator on Ebay. They have had some with 5 or 6 of these 107 burners in them. It's still a roll of the dice, but my theory was that this would improve the odds.

And a 107 (or A07) is not useable as a plug&play replacement, since the firmware is quite different in the DVR-520. Perhaps it is possible however to fit a standard 107 in the DVR-520 and then upload the firmware from service disk (I didn't tried).!
    I don't think the people who did this were talking about replacing the whole burner. (But there may have been one exception -- See Below.) If I recall correctly, it was just a key internal portion of the burner that was replaced, and in that case the firmware would remain as it was. I would print these threads out, and then ask the people who actually did this some follow-up questions. (There is a HDD replacement guide of some sort on HKan's Pioneerfaq site, and I think that a guide for the burner -- maybe with photos -- would make a valuable addition. IF & WHEN, I would be willing to put one together myself, but I really hope that the need for attempting this procedure is still a long ways off, in my case. )

However, I 'm very interested in the name of your vendor. I think I have a look at the 'HDD replacement' thrad right now
    !
    Well, that main replace-HDD thread is now 21 pages long. I did not manage to find the right section, or the bookmark that I made when I was reading that part. Searching the forum did not turn it up, either. In the meantime, have a look here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic303341.html
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic314946.html#1614673

The vendor I referred to is in Irvine, Calif. I was concerned because the website mentioning that burner is obviously quite out of date. But I did have an exchange of email some time ago with someone from the company, who told me these were leftover (unused) stock of the A07, retail box. (They did not seem too interested in selling just one or two pieces, though. ) I can try to dig out that email, if you like.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    O.K., this may be a bit more to the point:
    It was page 10 of the long "replace HDD" thread https://forum.videohelp.com/topic253998-270.html#1438381
    -- see the post from Techguy.

There was a thread dealing mainly with the burner issue:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic289793.html

Here is the page from that vendor:
    http://esbuy.com/
    It has since been updated, now showing the DVR-110 where there used to be order info for the leftover stock of 107's. No idea if they still have those, but my email exchange with them was not that long ago. Trying to get ahold of them by those phone #s was a waste of time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks Seeker47 for your searches and for these useful links!

They have some in stock, ranging from $95 to $130, plus shipping o'seas for $50. Shipping is not cheap, but could be more expensive! And they do sell o'seas. They are not cheap but far less than this ridiculous price of $300 from Pioneer (part VXX2942 for people that want a genuine part. But I doubt ... )

For sure, some eBay sellers that do not want to sell o'seas must have had some problems in the past. So, it is understandable.

However, I keep their address in my favourites, and I think I may buy them two parts to have parts available in case... And especially since I bought few days ago another DVR-520 for less than $200 (E140 to be precise), in an near-new condition.

Yes, despite there are newer home burners, I do like this model (easy to use, good quality picture in RGB mode, and so on)

I bought also for $10 an 2nd hand DVR-107 burner, so I think I give a try to upload firmware from service disk when I receive it, though I don't think that works. But let's try ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Many thanks Seeker47 for your searches and for these useful links!

They have some in stock, ranging from $95 to $130, plus shipping o'seas for $50. Shipping is not cheap, but could be more expensive! And they do sell o'seas. They are not cheap but far less than this ridiculous price of $300 from Pioneer (part VXX2942 for people that want a genuine part. But I doubt ... )

For sure, some eBay sellers that do not want to sell o'seas must have had some problems in the past. So, it is understandable.

However, I keep their address in my favourites, and I think I may buy them two parts to have parts available in case... And especially since I bought few days ago another DVR-520 for less than $200 (E140 to be precise), in an near-new condition.

Yes, despite there are newer home burners, I do like this model (easy to use, good quality picture in RGB mode, and so on)

I bought also for $10 an 2nd hand DVR-107 burner, so I think I give a try to upload firmware from service disk when I receive it, though I don't think that works. But let's try ...
    I've got a line on some NEW replacement DVR-107 drives,,

Check this link below.

Way cheaper.

PsyMaster
    IBUYPOWER I7 16GB, Ebuntu 16 system, Pioneer DVR-520H, Pioneer DVR-225, Phillips DVR-3567H, Teac replacement drives for DVR-107xa
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by psymaster
    I've got a line on some NEW replacement DVR-107 drives,,

Check this link below.

Way cheaper.

PsyMaster
    Interesting post ! I expect it's quite possible that that Teac burner model could in actuality be a 107. (For example, weren't some of the Benq burners really something else, rebadged ?) But I would also very much like to hear Orsetto's take on this, and Hkan's. If this pans out -- please keep us informed -- your step-by-step with photos should probably go onto Hkan's site as a PDF.

I ordered a replacement on ebay the listing read DVR-107 Pioneer.

Here is the description:

The DVR-107 is a high speed multiple format DVD/CD internal writer. The drive enables high-speed recording at 8x with high-speed DVD-R and 8x with high-speed +R media. It combines extended recording speeds with Precision Recording Technology to enhance disk compatibility and a wide range of multimedia and archiving applications.

I just received the DVR and this is what I see. TEAC DV-W58DP April 2004 part number 19771350-12.
    I compare the cases and they look exactly the same. I opened the case and it also looks exactly the same.

I've already replaced the DVD-burner DVR-107-XA with a DVR-107-PB (macintosh model) of course I did the Circuit board swap out. The DVR-520h didn't notice the swap, everything worked except for the finalization of discs (new stock verbatim 8x dvr-r) my old drive was doing the samething. So I'm guessing the used macintosh drive optics/laser was just as used/old as the one I'm replacing.
    Yeah, I bought one of those used Mac models as a spare myself. Haven't had to try it out yet, but that could be bad news.

The verbatim discs could also be the problem, I've ordered TY's 8x and will test the DVR-520h with them. If the DVR-520h functions normally with TY's I'll leave the drive replacement alone and save the drives for down the road. I'm going to wait until I get the TY's before I do any further dismantling/replaceing/swapping out of drive units and circuitboards.
    Good diagnostic practice, I think. That's how I would have proceeded.

If the TY's don't do the trick I'm going to take the Teac's optic/laser out and install it in the original DRV-107-XA 520h. It looks fairly straight forward and an easy swap, I'll post pics of that proceedure when I get to that point.

More posts to follow
    Thanx.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Okay here are my results. The TY's seem to have done the trick, the recorder finalizes these discs.

In my panic I bought up every DVR-107/DVR-A07 that I could bid on. I now have 6 replacement drives one of which is the NEW TEAC drive.

I've communicated with my Teac drive supplier and he does have some available. I guess I can do the swap out on my 520H but I think I'll wait till I get the service remote (my sprint palm pilot cannot be trusted). Unless HKan can do it.

Here's something ironic, my 520H will record Pay For View and Premium Channels (HBO, Starz, etc) but it won't allow me to record a VHS movie when connected to the VHS player via RCA cables. Go figure!

Psy
    IBUYPOWER I7 16GB, Ebuntu 16 system, Pioneer DVR-520H, Pioneer DVR-225, Phillips DVR-3567H, Teac replacement drives for DVR-107xa
    Quote Quote  
  10. Sorry I'm late to this party, usually seeker47 and I both manage to chime in on these Pio burner questions. I don't have much to add since you've already figured out the primary task is to swap the controller board inside the original dead burner to the new replacement burner. Once you do this the recorder will usually (but not always) accept it as the original without asking for the service remote/service disc nonsense. I have done this repeatedly to fix 520s. I've done the same on several 510s, except they require the 106 drive instead of the 107. And also the 530 series, which used the 109. It does not matter the brand name or model as long as it will accept the controller board from the original burner. DVR-107 and DVR-A07 are identical, and the "XL" models are the ones with special recorder firmware in their controller boards. You are very fortunate indeed to have discovered the Teacs, I'm glad you posted that info here. So far as I know, aside from the Pioneer and Pioneer/Apple burners, the only third-party drives that could be used in a Pioneer recorder were certain Memorex models that were re-branded Pioneer 106 drives (I've used these to fix DVR-510 recorders). If these Teacs can be sourced new at affordable prices, it will be a great help to many sad 520 and 720 owners!

Try to use only the TY discs as much as possible: the older drives burn them easily with little wear. Other brands will often seem to work, but they stress the laser and shorten the life of the burner (older burners will sometimes accept and finalize modern 16x media, but they struggle with the burning process).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In my panic I bought up every DVR-107/DVR-A07 that I could bid on. I now have 6 replacement drives one of which is the NEW TEAC drive.

I've communicated with my Teac drive supplier and he does have some available.
    That would be useful info as well. I, for one, would not mind laying in another spare or two, since the couple I do have were bought used, and their extent of wear remains unknown, even though I did do some quick tests back when I received them.

Here's something ironic, my 520H will record Pay For View and Premium Channels (HBO, Starz, etc) but it won't allow me to record a VHS movie when connected to the VHS player via RCA cables. Go figure!
    Psy
    I think that is not too surprising, and has been explained here before a number of times. The ability to record the former seems to be dependent on whether your provider is passing certain 'flags' as part of the signal. So far, some do, some don't, and that's why we get differing reports on this. I've never had any problem recording Premiums or VOD, on either the Pio 520 or the 640, but can't recall ever running across anything on PPV that I was willing to pay for, so would have to defer that report to others. But if your provider is Comcast (?), or certain others in various areas, you might not be so lucky. In regard to VHS, I believe Orsetto may have cautioned us that the 520 could be twitchy in that task, and better to go with a later model, or at least use some Clarifier-type countermeasures.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have a Phillips DVR-3567H so I'll test the ability to record a VHS movie through this unit. DVR-520 fails on VHS movie recording but will record PFV and STARZ/HBO the DVR-3567H will not record PFV nor will it record STARZ/HBO.

How many Teac drives should I buy to sell to all?

Psy
    Quote Quote  
  13. There are two primary issues that can come up when transferring VHS to DVD.

The first issue is that VHS is a "dirty" format, full of instabilities and minor glitches that were not a big problem for analog displays but can wreak havoc with some digital encoders and many flat panel TV sets. This issue has cropped up much less in the last couple years, as the newer DVD recorders have been redesigned to expect and smooth over unstable VHS and cable TV inputs. If your recorder dates from late 2005 forward, you should not have any dramatic image distortions when dubbing tapes you recorded yourself. But if your recorder is pre-2005, such as the extremely popular Pioneer 520 of 2004, you might regularly see very poor recording quality from your VHS sources. The only solution for this is to use a very high-end SVHS or DVHS vcr as the playback source- these units have internal TBC and DNR circuits that refine and smooth minor VHS glitches. You might also need an external TBC (time base corrector). My opinion, expressed here before, is that this additional hardware is not necessarily the best way to go: for the money, most people are better off just buying a newer DVD recorder that copes better with VHS. TBC and DNR features in a vcr are nice to have as options, but you really don't want to be forced to always use them: they can soften the image considerably. The earlier DVD/HDD recorders like Pioneer 520 are top-quality units, but much better suited to off-the-air and cable recordings, where they perform their best. It doesn't make sense to load up on additional hardware just to work around their VHS input limitations.

The second and more common VHS issue occurs when you attempt to back up your old commercial (Hollywood) tapes to DVD. Commercial VHS is laced with the MacroVision copy-inhibit signal, which all DVD recorders are designed to sense. So they will lock out their recording function if you attempt to transfer a commercial tape. This applies across the board to every vintage of DVD recorder, old and new (except for a very few oddball machines long discontinued). To get around this you need to patch a "video filter" or "clarifier" between your VCR and your DVD recorder. These little black boxes are covered more extensively in other threads- run a search. There are two basic types: very expensive digital models ($100 and up), which filter out old (VHS) and new (cable/satellite/DVD) recording blocks, and the cheap ($30 or less) analog models which only help with VHS. Buy the one you can afford or need. There are many members here who found success making their external TBCs (like the DataVideo TBC-1000) do "double duty" as copy-inhibit filters. I have found very inconsistent filtering performance with these: sometimes they work, sometimes they let the block slip through and ruin a recording at the middle or end. I recommend a dedicated filter even if you own a TBC.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just joined the forum. My 107 has bit the dust and am trying to source a new one with no luck. I noticed the first post mentioned using a 108. I have seen one of these on ebay in Australia. It was suggested by Hakikan that this might work in a 520H. Does anyone know for sure. I don't mind replacing the lens unit if they are similar or using the data disc and remote. it would appear that 107's are very rare here.
    Geoff
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dixons
    Just joined the forum. My 107 has bit the dust and am trying to source a new one with no luck. I noticed the first post mentioned using a 108. I have seen one of these on ebay in Australia. It was suggested by Hakikan that this might work in a 520H. Does anyone know for sure. I don't mind replacing the lens unit if they are similar or using the data disc and remote. it would appear that 107's are very rare here.
    Geoff
    Your 520H most likely has a dvr-107-xa in it. Any a07 or 107 should work as long as you swap the circuit board out of the original drive to the replacement drive. The other alternative is to swap out the optic (I gave a step by step in another forum) but remember the optics replacement might be as old and used as the one you're replacing (you just never know).

I have a line on some Teac drives that are the exact match as the pioneer 107s, if you are interested see earlier posts.

If your drive has stopped finalizing discs you might want to try TY discs, they have the old formula media. I thought my drive was going but found that the media available in the stores were not compatible with my 520h any longer.

Cheers

Psy
    Quote Quote  
  16. The 108 is definitely NOT a suitable replacement for the 520 burner. The 520 requires a 107, otherwise you won't be able to swap the circuit boards which is a necessity. If you cannot find a bare 107 drive, look for a used complete recorder, the cheaper versions without hard drive (220, 320). You can harvest the 107 drives from such units and put them in a 520 or 720.

The 107 series was the last "full size" burners Pioneer made. Starting with the 108 they moved to a smaller case and smaller circuit boards with different connectors from the 107, thats why the 108 or later won't work in the 520. What does sometimes work is a "downgrade" to a 106 drive removed from the earlier models 310, 510, 3100 or 5100. If you have the service remote and disc, you can make the 520 accept a complete older 106 burner from the earlier recorder (do not switch the circuit boards, swap out the entire drive). There is no real performance difference between a 106 and a 107 when used in a recorder: neither was a speed demon, and neither burned DL. I have successfully "downgraded" a 520 to accept a burner from a 510, and I've successfully transplanted an "upgrade" 107 drive from a 220 into a 510. With the older burners getting scarcer, you have to be creative whenever possible. Look for whatever drives or donor recorders you can obtain in your region. The member above who posted info about the TEAC re-branded 107s did just that: perhaps his source will ship to Oz for you?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info about 108. Will try to source a DVD recorder/and or try different discs, but it appears to not like DVD -RW either. Will still play discs but when it tries to burn at top speed it fails and when I try real time the disc jumps and freezes after burning.
    geoff
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hello, my 720 just bought the dust as well. Everything is working fine, but I cannot finalize the dvds after recording them. Also, I cannot finalize the same DVD on other machines. I tried to shop around for boththe Pio 107 or the Teac but no luck, anyone has a good source to advise?
    Quote Quote  
  19. If you cannot find a bare drive, the second easiest way to obtain a replacement burner for a 520/720 etc is to just look for a used 220, 225 or 320. These turn up frequently on the USA/Canada eBay sites. Fully functional examples often approach or exceed $100 US, but very many of those listed as "broken- won't power on" sell for much less, in the range of $20-50 US. Pioneer, along with every other mfr in 2004, got stuck with counterfeit Chinese power supply parts that tend to fail quickly. This failure has nothing to do with the burners, which are usually in good shape and can be transplanted from a "dead" Pioneer x20 series into your higher-end 520,720, etc.

Unfinalized Pioneer discs can be finalized by any Pioneer recorder from any year- the earliest 2003 model 510/5100 can finalize discs made on the latest 2008 model 660 (and vice versa). The only restrictions involve the very early, expensive model 7000 which was basically a prototype and has disc interchange issues with the later models. There are also difficulties with lower-end 2005 models like the VHS/DVD combo decks and the DVD-only model 230, 231, 233 units: these were not made by Pioneer but subcontracted elsewhere (a mistake Pioneer did not repeat).
    Quote Quote  
  20. Dear Orsetto, thanks for the useful tips. I've actually found the DVR-LX61 here at the local dealer, do you think it's worth it? Has the GUI changed/improved? I like the idea of being able to record dual layer, have more space and connecting via HDMI the player.
    Quote Quote  
  21. The LX-61 is worthwhile if you can afford it and/or need the additional tuner options it includes. The LX series is similar to the 550 and 560, but higher-end with somewhat nicer cabinet and usually more elaborate tuners for both digital and analog PAL broadcasts. The LX can finalize your old discs, no problem.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by orsetto
    The LX-61 is worthwhile if you can afford it and/or need the additional tuner options it includes. The LX series is similar to the 550 and 560, but higher-end with somewhat nicer cabinet and usually more elaborate tuners for both digital and analog PAL broadcasts. The LX can finalize your old discs, no problem.
    But has the GUI for editing changed?
    It's the only one available here, for ~400 €. Alternatively, for a cheaper price, i've found the Philips VDR3570, and the LG RH-399, but I've read mixed reviews on line.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Sorry I forgot your second question. Yes, the GUI on Pioneers after the 720 changed, mostly for the better. Navigation of titles is much, much easier now with a scrolling list of titles that just goes up and down- no more zig-zagging across four titles at a time. The chapter editing, thumbnail selection, erase section, and copy list-copy to DVD screens are similar to the 720 but updated to be more responsive and again appear "cleaner" and more intuitive. The one change that long-time 520/720 users protest here constantly is that Pioneer dropped the dedicated chapter marking button on the remote on all models beginning with the 530 series in 2005 (the 720 is from 2004). You can no longer watch a recording in "normal" full screen mode, and add chapter points on-the-fly using the button on the remote. Placing custom chapter points now requires you to open a separate, dedicated chapter edit screen with its own GUI. The inset video preview in this GUI is rather small, this makes finding the exact frame you want to mark as a chapter a bit more inconvenient. The system works fine, and is similar to the way most other DVD/HDD recorders now handles chapter insertion, but if you are very very fond of the "old" chapter marking with the one-touch button on the remote, you may be very disappointed. This single function is the reason why resale prices for 520/720 machines remain very high: they seldom appear for sale because owners would rather spend large sums of money to repair them than give up the full-screen chapter insertion feature. Minor changes were also made to the title name entry screens and DVD menu choices, text is now anti-aliased and a bit smaller so it appears cleaner on large LCD displays (if your television is smaller than 26" the new text displays are a bit harder to read from a distance). The good news is you can now connect any USB keyboard and directly type title names, if you don't want to use the remote and on-screen keyboard.

My own personal preference is for the new GUI overall: the full-screen chapter insert is nice, but I find every other GUI aspect of the 520/720 horribly clunky and difficult. The navigation between titles and navigation between editing modes in the 2005 and later Pioneers is much more responsivee and logical to operate. The LG and Phillips units are not as elegant, the Phillips particularly being an annoyingly difficult interface for anyone used to a Pioneer. The Phillips and LG are decent units at a very reasonable price, but with DVD/HDD recorders "you get what you pay for". If you want sophisticated editing and a well-thought-out GUI, the extra money for a Pioneer is worth it.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by orsetto
    Sorry I forgot your second question. Yes, the GUI on Pioneers after the 720 changed, mostly for the better.
    Thanks for the more than comprehensive answer. To be blunt, I've owned a 720 since it came out in Europe and I never noticed you could just edit it on the fly while watching, I would always edit from the Chapter Edit screen...
    Ok, good to know, now I have a serious alternative to the impossible task of repairing mine. Thanks a lot, I'll let you know once I get the new baby.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I replaced the old Pioneer DVR-107 with the Teac drive, I just swapped out the circuit board of the original DVR to the Teac.

WORKS like a charm, and without the service disc or remote!

Burns & Finalizes, No problem.

I'm buying 5 teac drives from my supplier, did I mention these drives are New?

Cheers!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I replaced the old Pioneer DVR-107 with the Teac drive, I just swapped out the circuit board of the original DVR to the Teac.

Cheers!

Thanks for the lead on that, which I did follow up on. However, they quoted me a price of $130/burner. And then -- while they are new -- 10 day non-DOA is all they'll give you on these. Now I'd have to agree that this is way better than the $300. Pioneer was asking for the replacement part, but it's still ridiculous, IMO. I've bought a couple 107s (one was the Mac part, but Orsetto said this was fine), used, for a fraction of that price. Maybe I'll have cause to regret it, but I'd rather take my chances that way.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by psymaster

Hey, any chance your dealer has some more?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by almayer

Hey, any chance your dealer has some more?
    How many do you want? Email me for faster service.

Gary
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47

Cheers!

Thanks for the lead on that, which I did follow up on. However, they quoted me a price of $130/burner. And then -- while they are new -- 10 day non-DOA is all they'll give you on these. Now I'd have to agree that this is way better than the $300. Pioneer was asking for the replacement part, but it's still ridiculous, IMO. I've bought a couple 107s (one was the Mac part, but Orsetto said this was fine), used, for a fraction of that price. Maybe I'll have cause to regret it, but I'd rather take my chances that way.
    That's crazy, someone must have been giving you the run around or they've caught wind of what we are using them for .
    I'm going to put one up on ebay and see what happens. Let me know if you are interested buying one.

Gary
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47

That's crazy, someone must have been giving you the run around or they've caught wind of what we are using them for .
    I'm going to put one up on ebay and see what happens. Let me know if you are interested buying one.
    Gary
    Thanks. I'm definitely interested. (So, I should search on "Teac" rather than Pioneer . . . or does it matter ?) One of the two used 107s I bought was from a seller in Canada, and even with the higher shipping it was a fraction of what these guys were asking. A couple weeks ago, I missed out on an eBay auction I had flagged, for what was said to be an almost unused 107, because I was traveling.

If I'm remembering this right, I thought Orsetto said that the 106 might also work for this usage ? If so, that would be significant, because I think there are more of those turning up for sale. At least, there were a couple of them on eBay a few days ago.
    Quote Quote