VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Plug DVR-520 (not DVR-107-XA) only firewire 4->4 to other recorder and visible video... .

On screen flashing "Incompatible or unreadable disc" (record also).

I buy Firewire 4->6 and will taste PC(?)

--------------------------
    /edit/

Connect Pioneer HDD to PC as "master".
    I use LIVE CD (Linux/Vista) "PhotoRec" recovery program.
    40min recovery: ".ifo" & ".mpg" files.

MPG play OK( PC/Windows).
    Last edited by 1bombel; 13th Apr 2011 at 10:49.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    /sorry...english .../

Only HDD Recoder/Player when no DVR-107-XA (?)

I insert old Liteon LTR- 40125s (not DVD - every will be OK. DVD/CD...) - pin is "Cable Select"
    Put on tray CDRW(DVD...) soft/file.... .)

Power Pioneer-> "Loading" ~1min (must be visible CD/DVD...)-> HDD & other Menu is OK.
    (not function DVD, etc.)
    No screen flashing "Incompatible or unreadable disc".

Pioneer DVR520 is now only HDD Recorder .
    I wait on cheap 107-XA.
    Last edited by 1bombel; 24th May 2011 at 09:41.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 1bombel View Post
    /sorry...english .../

I wait on cheap 107-XA.
    These actually DO turn up on eBay, every once in awhile. You should probably keep checking there, like maybe twice a week ? The tough part would be finding one that does not have excessive wear and tear ("high mileage", in car terms), which might require buying more than one to improve your odds. That, and int'l. shipping costs. A pretty good number of these also went into disc duplicator towers, housing 6 or 8 of them. Those are going to be more heavily used, however. A couple years back, I bought a Mac model of the 107 on eBay, as a spare, after receiving the advice that these could also be used. It was a pull from a student's old desktop PC, and he claimed that it had seen relatively light use. Guess I'll find out, one of these days.

There was a Teac model that was apparently identical to the 107, as shown in this recent eBay listing that sold quickly via "Buy It Now' :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=...SS%3AUS%3A1123

I'm guessing this might be the last one that Psymaster had for sale (?), but it might be worth looking around for this model from European suppliers. There might be some firm that still has a couple of them, at the back of some warehouse. Maybe start with a search at Amazon ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My DVR-107XA is dead = circuit board ("service mode").
    I need only original DVR-107XA.

I buy complete JVC DVR-20SE (80GB HDD) = ~50$
    Play/Record ok - but Pioneeer is better.
    Jvc hit to cellar.

Maybe I find itself cheap - 107XA.
    Quote Quote  
  5. We cannot be sure the circuit board in your DVR-107XA is "dead" until you can see if it will work when placed inside another 107 burner. Right now, I looked on eBay and see many DVR-107 burners for sale $30 US or less:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=pioneer+dvr-107&_sacat=0&_odkw=pioneer+dvr92020&_osac....c0.m270.l1313

You will need to buy one of these, and put your 107XA circuit board inside, to see if your 520 will work with it again. This is the only chance you have: the parts are no longer available from Pioneer at any price. You will not, EVER, anywhere, find a special Pioneer DVR-107XA burner for sale by itself- Pioneer never sold these to anyone but their own service centers, at a cost of $200-300 US. All of us who repair our 520 recorders do the trick of buying the "normal" DVR-107 or DVR-A07, and switch the circuit board from our original DVR-107XA. It is very, very rare for the 107XA circuit board to be "dead", unless a very bad storm sent a lightning surge into your house wiring.

If this has happened to you, and your original 107XA is completely dead including the circuit board, you will probably not be able to fix your 520. The only possibility for repair would be to find a working complete Pioneer DVR-220, DVR-225, or DVR-320 recorder: you could remove the entire burner, which would have a new circuit board, and put it in your 520. Those other Pioneer recorders are sometimes found inexpensive because they do not have the HDD and are less desirable. Very often the owner thinks the recorder is broken because of a bad fuse, but the 107XA inside is still OK. I do not think these recorders sold much in Poland or nearby countries, so you may not find them easily.

Sorry we cannot be more helpful, it is much easier to find repair parts in North America than in your country: maybe nothing you can do that would be affordable.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    .......If this has happened to you, and your original 107XA is completely dead including the circuit board, you will probably not be able to fix your 520....
    I have DVR-107D....& be sure = the circuit board in my DVR-107XA is "dead".
    "Service Mode" it does not see 107XA (107D ok - but "NG!")
    Replace circuit boards (test Recorder/PC).

Finally - DVR-107D not correctly working in 520, when HDD mode!
    (Liteon LTR- 40125s or ???? - its ok = described higher).

-----------------------
    Why model need?
    (Pioneer DVR-220, DVR-225, or DVR-320, 520?, 720?..., or ???)
    Last edited by 1bombel; 24th May 2011 at 15:00.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by 1bombel View Post
    -----------------------
    Why model need?
    (Pioneer DVR-220, DVR-225, or DVR-320, 520?, 720?..., or ???)
    If the 107XA in your 520 is completely dead, you need to find a used cheaper model with the same 107XA burner, so you can take the good 107XA and put it inside your 520 (new circuit board + new 107).

In Europe, cheaper only-DVD models were 220 and 320. North America had 220, 225.

Pioneer Europe 420, 520, 720 920 are all with DVD/HDD: if you find one of these for good price, they can replace your complete broken 520. Sell your old 520 if you find better working recorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Originally Posted by 1bombel View Post
    /sorry...english .../

I wait on cheap 107-XA.
    These actually DO turn up on eBay, every once in awhile. You should probably keep checking there, like maybe twice a week ? The tough part would be finding one that does not have excessive wear and tear ("high mileage", in car terms), which might require buying more than one to improve your odds. That, and int'l. shipping costs. A pretty good number of these also went into disc duplicator towers, housing 6 or 8 of them. Those are going to be more heavily used, however. A couple years back, I bought a Mac model of the 107 on eBay, as a spare, after receiving the advice that these could also be used. It was a pull from a student's old desktop PC, and he claimed that it had seen relatively light use. Guess I'll find out, one of these days.

There was a Teac model that was apparently identical to the 107, as shown in this recent eBay listing that sold quickly via "Buy It Now' :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=...SS%3AUS%3A1123

I'm guessing this might be the last one that Psymaster had for sale (?), but it might be worth looking around for this model from European suppliers. There might be some firm that still has a couple of them, at the back of some warehouse. Maybe start with a search at Amazon ?
    Nope, I have more.

IBUYPOWER I7 16GB, Ebuntu 16 system, Pioneer DVR-520H, Pioneer DVR-225, Phillips DVR-3567H, Teac replacement drives for DVR-107xa
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by psymaster View Post
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post

Nope, I have more.

Yes, I've noticed your listings that turn up every so often. So -- you must have bought a whole pallet of these ? If I recall correctly, your earlier auctions of them were going for something like $45., but more recently it's up around $75. (?)

I'm responsible for maintaining two 520 units. (One of them being mine, which got at least 5 years of heavy use, but has been in storage the last year and a half, ever since I moved. I do expect it will see some use again.) The other 520 sees only very light recording usage, either on the HDD or the burner. It serves kind of like a receiver -- mediating between feeds of DirecTV and TW cable -- in a setup location that is very short on space. An actual receiver there would require more than the available room, and would be overkill for that location. From time to time they will record something there, or even less often burn it to DVD. Anyway, long story shorter, I did take the precaution of stocking up on some spare 107s. One was a working pull from someone's Mac.

Curiously enough, there has to date not been a sustained failure of one of the original 520 burners, although I did see the occasional "Copy Err" message on mine, before it went into storage. Therefore, I have not had to go through that whole elaborate surgical procedure with a replacement burner. But I guess it's just a matter of time. Given the history of those 520 units, a betting man might say the odds are that a capacitor will go out first.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Seeker47, I wish they had a pallet but I bought what they had left. I've saved some for members of Videohelp just in case. I will of course save one more for myself (my 520 has a new one in it now). As my supply started dewindling the price on ebay started to rise as does everything will supply and demand.
    The Circuitboard swap is pretty easy, I'd rather have a new drive (laser assembly) than take the chance with a unit that's come out of another computer, you never know how much usage it got.

I don't have many left, and my supplier is dry.

Happy Halloween everyone! Boo
    IBUYPOWER I7 16GB, Ebuntu 16 system, Pioneer DVR-520H, Pioneer DVR-225, Phillips DVR-3567H, Teac replacement drives for DVR-107xa
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by psymaster View Post
    Seeker47, I wish they had a pallet but I bought what they had left. I've saved some for members of Videohelp just in case. I will of course save one more for myself (my 520 has a new one in it now). As my supply started dewindling the price on ebay started to rise as does everything will supply and demand.
    The Circuitboard swap is pretty easy, I'd rather have a new drive (laser assembly) than take the chance with a unit that's come out of another computer, you never know how much usage it got.
    I wasn't trying to imply anything -- of course scarcity increases price. Just take a look at the prices any desirable model of Pioneer DVDR command ! No doubt the members here appreciate your thinking of them.

Good to know about that board swap. I would not part with my old 520. For one thing, there is the unique possibility of that (officially undocumented) DV Out trick discovered by Puzzler, which could render one of these units still useful even if one's burner had stopped working and could not be replaced. I never got around to exploring that option, but sure would like to.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Good to know about that board swap. I would not part with my old 520. For one thing, there is the unique possibility of that (officially undocumented) DV Out trick discovered by Puzzler, which could render one of these units still useful even if one's burner had stopped working and could not be replaced. I never got around to exploring that option, but sure would like to.
    I would never part with mine either, I have a bunch of capacitors and am handy with a soldering iron in case it's not the DVD-RW that goes.

In any event, it would seem there are others out there that still have a working 520h. I get many watchers on my listings and infrequent buyers. I think the watchers are IN-CASE buyers, lol.

VideoHelp members don't sweat it, I still have some!
    Quote Quote