VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    so i'm sitting here playing with the new 'feeds' function of IE7.. it seems this is a way to view a web page without visiting the web page... am i correct? this is dumb! what's the point of that?!
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's like a 'Reader's Digest' version of the website. More often used for news websites to keep up on the latest happenings. From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(file_format)

What use is it? None for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can subscribe to them, they are used for content that is frequently updated or changed. For example a forum.

Lets say for example you commute to work in the morning and won't have internet access for the commute. RSS can can contain many types of content including images and audio. You could for example subscibe to a "picture of the day" , a podcast, latest news section on a forum and a hundred other feedsetc. All this content will be downloaded overnight or whenever you choose ready for viewing, pick the laptop up in the morning and take it with you.

Really depends on how the website owner uses it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    still seems silly - for instance, there are 2 feeds on this page.. each one shows half of what the home page shows, so why not visit the home page?
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TooLFooL
    still seems silly - for instance, there are 2 feeds on this page.. each one shows half of what the home page shows, so why not visit the home page?
    Maybe someone is only interested in the "Tools" portion, or only in the "Forums". They can then use the feed in a reader or a Live Bookmark in FF (as another example) and check the "headlines" and only go to the Tools or Forum topics that they are particularly interested in.

Another was, as thecoalman mentioned is podcasts. Using a podcatcher, one can subscribe to the podcasts of interest and get them automatically downloaded to the computer, without having to go to each and every web site manually. I listen to 4-5 podcasts a week, and watch 2-4 video podcasts per week, so an RSS feed is very handy. I know people who monitor a dozen or more news/tech web sites via RSS. That way they have one quick, convenient way to scan headlines at these sites all at once, and then click directly to any story of interest. For some, it's a time-saver and a way to aggregate all their interests in one place. For others, it may not be all that useful.

Jim
    Quote Quote  
  6. Saves bandwidth and is simply formatted. Plus it is pushed to you rather than you pulling it.

Having said all that, I've need used it!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hmmm.... well i'm just gonna keep visiting the site daily, i like it here!
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote