VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

new at this forum and new at capturing so please excuse possible (probable) noobishness.

As the title says, i recently got Panasonic NV-GS230, and now i want to capture the stuff from the dv cassette to my comp so i can play around with the video.
    The problem is this: i cannot get anything from the camera using firewire.
    I tried PowerDirector (i think 3.0 that i got with my gfx card). The program can control the camera (play, stop...) but i get no preview, and as soon as i press the record button it says "Error: Unable to proceed" or something along that lines.
    Then i tried Windows MovieMaker, and it did get the video going in the preview pane, but it stopped after a few minutes of capturing.
    Also tried WinDV to no avail.

On the other hand, USB seems fine, but i would really like to use FireWire.

Any thoughts at all? Am pretty desperate.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you are trying the right thing.

1) Maybe try on some other computer. Perhaps it is your computer's firewire card / cable.

2) Maybe try another camera, if you can get one, to see if it is a hardware problem with your camera.

I use Scenalyzer (http://www.scenalyzer.com) to capture video, it is pretty cool, and you can download a trial version to see if it works. Maybe you can give it a try, but I'd try the other 2 options as well.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome MumO19

A: Install the software from cd (came with camera) , which installs device drivers specifically writen for camera model .

You may need to manually install the device drivers in some cases ... browse cd contents .

B: Caution manual

Cautions for connecting to a PC with DV Cables :

When using Motion DV STUDIO (DV Editing Software for Windows) or other, connect this unit and a PC with DV cable be sure to observe the cautions described below. (If not, it may cause damages on this unit or the PC.)

Turn off the PC to be connected and this unit.

• If you connect the PC, and this unit while they are both turned on, it may cause this unit to malfunction, due to overcurrent.

(When the PC is equipped with 6-pin DV terminal) Connect the DV cable to match the shape of the DV terminal on the PC.

• If you connect the plug of DV cable reversely, it may cause damages on this unit.

Connect the DV cable to the PC first, then connect it to this unit.

• Connect the DV cable to the PC in the order described above regardless of the type of the PC. If you connect to this
    unit first, it may cause a malfunction of this unit due to static electricity.

----

After connecting to the DV terminal on the PC, connect the DV cable to the DV terminal on this unit.

Check the connection described in the above steps. Turn on the PC first and then turn on this unit.

Failure to follow the above will cause irreversible damage to either camera and / or pc .
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot for the help, i'll try it out as soon as i get the time.

P.S. oh and i tried capturing it on a friend's computer, with his cable. Same problem
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I am also the proud owner of a NV-GS230 (GE). Is there a
    reason why you prefer Firewire over USB ? I have been using
    USB exclusively and have had no problems at all.
    Is firewire faster ?
    Quote Quote