VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I am new to this forum. My problem is that I recently bought a new motherboard, harddrive, etc. I saved my old HD because I had a previous project on it before. I have all the clips and the .veg project files still. But when I chose my old HD as the source for the projects, it opened up, all the effects were saved, but all the video clips are just black now. The clips are still the same length, and Vegas read the old HD file names and got it, but its still black even when I render it. Someone please help me. Sorry if this was unclear, I'm new to this .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect that even though all the clips are there, the drive letter, and hence Vegas' reference point to the clip, has changed (for example it was c: and is now e: ).

The only other thing I can think of at this stage is a codec issue, but it depends on what the source was.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, the only reason it doesn't work is because it changed from C to E? I think Vegas loaded them, but I'm just a little confused haha. If you could elaborate, that would be great. TY
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When Vegas saves a project, it basically saves on the details of the project. It stores what clips you used (but not the clips themselves), what edits you have made, and what transitions or effects you have applied. When it stores the clips, it stores the path and file name, as well as details about the length, resolution etc. So if you original clips were in c:\myvideos\holidays\ then Vegas will store the names as c:\myvideos\holidays\clip1.avi etc. You old HDD is not c: anymore, it is e:\, so the clips are now in e:\myvideos\holidays\. When Vegas looks for them in the old location, they don't exist. It knows everything about them, except where they are.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote